Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2010, 14:46   #1

Jeanneau - Roller to Slab Conversion

Today I inspected a 2000 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37 that has an in-mast roller main. The broker told me that it was possible to convert it to slab reefing and I am wondering if this was some sales BS or if it is feasible.

(I am totally lost for the correct terms here)
On the mast running parallel to the slot where the main comes out, there was a groove that looked like it was designed to take the T shaped plastic sliders that are used to hold the main normally. Therefore I assume it must be possible to add a track and roller cars to hold a fully battoned main. The boom would either need some extra hardware added or perhaps replaced to handle the reefing.

Is this conversion possible (depending on the roller mast design)?

Realistically the conversion is perhaps something I may never bother doing especially if I only use the boat for cruising around the Greek islands, but knowing it is possible would push the roller v slab reefing decision down on my priority list.

Just for the record (since I have been asking stupid questions related to all sorts of boats).... The SO37 has pretty much been my no.1 choice for the past year, even though I have flirted with the idea of other boats. Today was the first time I have got to see one up close and everything felt just right. From the helm it did not look too big (unlike the Bene 381 & 411 I also viewed) the genoa winch was where I want it to be, inside was roomy without feeling to open and the L shaped kitchen felt like a comfortable arrangement.

Just maybe I will come away from this week with a one boat shopping list even if the mast and perhaps keel keep me confused still
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 15:10   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Depending what mast section you have the answer is maybe. The slot you mention is provided so as to fit a storm trysail. Its not really designed for day to day mainsail use and its off centre anyway.

I have seen "some" cases where it was possible to insert cars into the slot used for the furling main and hence use a fully battened one.

The simple answer is to contact the makers of the spar ( Z-Spars) and ask them. I notice that the new Jeanneaus have switched to Selden masts.

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 15:22   #3

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines
I have a 2000 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 and before repairing my main, the sail guy told me that he could fit a new roller reefing main inside my original mast for the princely sum of £3,500. (I stayed with the £250 sail repair). As I understand it, the 2000 Jeanneau's did not offer roller mains and since this guy was going to install roller reefing inside the current mast, I have to assume that the only obstacle to switching from roller to slab would be the price. For ease of use, I like roller reefing mains but for better sail shape throughout the reefing levels, I think the slab sail performs better. So, to get the best of both worlds, (And to save a ton of money) I got a bit for my winches and a big 240 Volt angle drill to act as a cheap power winch. Since I have the engine running when I hoist the main, battery drain has not been an issue and getting that big momma to the top of the mast is a whole lot easier. Hope this helps,

James
James Baines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 15:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Depending what mast section you have the answer is maybe. The slot you mention is provided so as to fit a storm trysail. Its not really designed for day to day mainsail use and its off centre anyway.

I have seen "some" cases where it was possible to insert cars into the slot used for the furling main and hence use a fully battened one.

The simple answer is to contact the makers of the spar ( Z-Spars) and ask them. I notice that the new Jeanneaus have switched to Selden masts.

dave
I was having a look on the z-spars site but could not find any mast section diagrams that came close to matching.with a track of any description
Old 30-09-2010, 20:23   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
I would ask a local rigger to help you with this.

It probably can be done, but you will still have a very heavy mast with its mandrel in place.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I would ask a local rigger to help you with this.

It probably can be done, but you will still have a very heavy mast with its mandrel in place.

David
I had another look at the yacht today and took some photos. The mast is a Z-diffusion (z-spar) so I know who to ask.

I accept that the mast will be heavier and I guess would probably be wider and less aerodynamically efficient than a dedicated mast, but it is not about ultimate performance. It's more a matter of giving me the knowledge that I have another option later down the track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9425.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	19714  
Old 01-10-2010, 06:24   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I wonder is my mast could swap with yours?
I'd be mighty happy with a roller furling main..

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:37   #8

Next week I will sail for the first time on a yacht with a roller main (Bavaria 39) and maybe the roller will totally win me over

I probably will be happy with a roller main and changing may never become an issue, but it is always is nice to know there are options for later.

I have been leaving Sweden to move back to Aus for the last 9 years and the thought that "this is my last winter here" has got me through a few long,cold, dark and lonely evenings. Maybe the knowledge that I can upgrade the main might get me though any issues I will have with the roller from time to time

Tags
jeanneau