Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2009, 05:08   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
SailRite on Webbing:

http://www2.sailrite.com/PDF/Article...20Lo%20Res.pdf

Webbing - Nylon, Polyester and Polypropylene Webbing

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 11:46   #17

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
I use two different sets of jacklines when I go offshore. The first pair are commercially sold similar to those offered by West Marine, but modified by adding a self made section at the aft end. This section has a caribiner similar to the store bought section but is short and ends with a ratchet of stainless steel similar to those on load securing straps sold at auto supplies. These jacklines run full length and are flat against the deck. Since they are flat webbing and won't trip I can leave them in place most of the time and I can tighten them with the ratchet to take up any stretch.

My second set is used when I think the weather is going to be bad and they are made of coated cable similar to lifeline cable with turnbuckles on the aft end. These run full length on either side of my dodger held up by the SS handles on each side and go from the stemhead fitting to an eye on my davits, about 3 feet above the deck. I don't use them all the time because you have to duck under them getting in or out of the cockpit (I have a center cockpit), but they act like an inboard lifeline and you can snap in very easily from inside the cockpit. They sure make my wife happy.

Have fun

Joe S
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 10:36   #18

Boat: Yorktown 35
in the past when single handing down to the Caribbean, I purchased heavy duty dacron webbing from a military surplus supply store and made a jackline from the cabin to the mast, then mast to the anchor windlass, both down the centerline. this allowed me to stay clipped in and have access to either side of the boat when needed. do have a setup that allows for always allowing yourself to remain clipped on when going from one rope to another. The life you save may be yours. Good luck with your cruise!
rdcleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 14:13   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Gords Idea is a good one, if you use short runs they wiil be a real pain because you have to keep clipping on and off. On my boat I can clip on while in the cockpit and walk all the way to the bow roller.
Old 29-06-2009, 12:42   #20

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
In rockclimbing, while setting up anchors, Gord's drawing depicts what is known as a Death Triangle, where peoeple often exert more stress on each of two anchors than thye would on one anchr along. Therefore, in climbing you use more rope to create deep v, which produces less stress on both anchors (a bit more than 50% of total load). Doesn't work here, as lines would be too slack, but is does demonstrate a need for some appreciation of forces at play.
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 05:53   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Spot on, Erika. We always say "Rule number one is to stay ON THE BOAT. And if you have to violate Rule Number One, please do not walk on the water, it tends to start religions."
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 06:27   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We have taken the jacklines off the boat.
Flat on deck the get the full amount of UV and in the tropics I dont know how long they will last. The old ones were shot.

So we walk slowly up forward cos we're not racers, and clip onto SWR shrouds or baby stay.

I'll rethink it as soon as budget allows...

I certainly agree with Erika about the need to not go over the gunwales.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 11:47   #23

Boat: Beneteau 46.1
Back from our trip. Thanks for all the input. Turned out we had a pair of web jacklines onboard from prior owner. Nylon, I think, but never used, still in packaging, and not exposed to UV, so that's what we used. I rigged them on each side, but also with a stretch from bow to a mast fitting at waist height. While at the mast we clipped in to this hard fitting directly on the short tether, with the long one on the windward side jackline.

This seemed to work pretty well, but then it was (thankfully) never *really* put to the test.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Jacklines, safety equipment