Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2010, 03:18   #1

Boat: No boat, looking again.
Is This an Asymmetrical Spinnaker ?

My new boat has two spinnakers, this is the smaller one. I am thinking it is an asymmetrical spinnaker though I have never used one. From what you can see of it in the pic, what do ya reckon it is?

Unhappily, a couple of the little hole things at the tack, clew, head of the sail are corroded. Can I repair these myself or do I get a sailmaker to do them? I assume they need fixing.

troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 03:30   #2

That is a Drifter. You can think of it as a small well-behaved spinnaker or a special purpose genoa. It is only used off the wind - reaching in light airs. The cringles can be easily replaced by a sailmaker.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 04:26   #3

Boat: Columbia, 43 "Tranquilo"
That's a blooper, used (in combination with spinnaker)to counter the death roll of IOR boats going down wind.
Tranquilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 05:09   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
I agree with Tranquillo, I think it's a blooper. It's set to leeward of the main and you have to play the halyard as well as the sheet. It's only used with a spinnaker flying as well.

Picture of a boat with spinnaker and blooper.
Bravura with Spinnaker and Blooper | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 06:01   #5
jzk

It is a blooper used when sailing dead down wind with a spinnaker. They are no longer used much because jybing down wind is almost always faster.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 13:56   #6

Heh. You guys are right, that's a Blooper. Ugh. They still exist? Throw it away. It's truly useless.
Old 28-11-2010, 14:24   #7

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
Don't toss it, donate it!
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 14:38   #8

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillJacocks View Post
Don't toss it, donate it!
To whom? These are functionally useless. You aren't allowed to carry them any more in racing, and you'd need a check up from the neck up if you wanted to fly one in any other scenario.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 14:53   #9

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
There were many places accepting donations of good used sails for making tents in Haiti. I think Oracle/BMW donated theirs for this reason. I admit Haiti is past but there are many who would take donations. Just bring it to a sail shop maybe they can make something out of it.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 15:13   #10

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillJacocks View Post
There were many places accepting donations of good used sails for making tents in Haiti. I think Oracle/BMW donated theirs for this reason. I admit Haiti is past but there are many who would take donations. Just bring it to a sail shop maybe they can make something out of it.
Haiti is not past. According to the Christian Science Monitor, as of Nov. 1.3M are still living in tent cities. Haiti's tent cities to bear worst of potential hurricane Tomas - CSMonitor.com
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 16:26   #11

Ahhhh, sooo it's a blooper! Definition: Blooper: blunder: an embarrassing mistake. That is not a sail to infuse me with confidence.

Thank you for your replies, they are most helpful.

Well, I think I will add the sail to the large and growing pile of almost useless stuff I am taking off the boat. It will join the rusty anchor which wouldn't hold the boat, the two old radio aerials which were attached to thin air, the three ancient illegal lifejackets, the four packets of way out-of-date flares, the three busted bilge pumps, the, oh whatever, there's heaps.

But the material in the sail would be useful for something. I could make me some shirt and shorts for when I am sailing or cut the top third off and use it on a stick in my dinghy as a sail so I don't have to row everywhere or I could use it to make a boom tent. Or maybe I will leave it on the lawn for a few weeks until the grass underneath is dead, remove the sail and tell the newspaper I have a crop circle in my backyard. Aliens!
Old 28-11-2010, 16:57   #12

Boat: Able 50
Why not fly it until it blows ? At least that will help your new A sail last another year or so. No, it won't win any races for you but it will set OK while you are cruising. If you are running square the clew would be helped by being poled out and you may need to hoist the halyard a little higher.

Once the sail blows, then you can make those shorts.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 17:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Why not fly it until it blows ? At least that will help your new A sail last another year or so. No, it won't win any races for you but it will set OK while you are cruising. If you are running square the clew would be helped by being poled out and you may need to hoist the halyard a little higher.

Once the sail blows, then you can make those shorts.
Can it be flown without a spinnaker for cruising? Just the main and blooper?
Old 28-11-2010, 17:24   #14

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
I agree with savoir, blow it out on the run. Why not? Downwind sails are literally just wind bags. Lift is not a factor.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 17:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
I agree with savoir, blow it out on the run. Why not? Downwind sails are literally just wind bags. Lift is not a factor.
Perhaps in the hands of an amateur. A new properly-cut well-trimmed spinnaker is far more efficient than a simple 'wind bag'.

A blooper is likely smaller than a poled out genoa, and much harder to control. So it's pretty useless.

Tags
asymmetric, spinnaker