Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2012, 16:30   #1

Installing winches

I'm new to this so forgive me if a thread has already been started 'cause I haven't seen anything. Anyway. I need to install winches for my jib and staysail. 4 in total. I don't want any water leak problems so here is how I thought to install. Tell me if I'm on the right track. Here it goes...make a template for the hole pattern. Drill holes larger than needed. Tape holes from the bottom. Fill holes with epoxy. Let cure. Drill appropriate size holes through the epoxy. Set and backplate the winches. I'm thinking the surrounding epoxy will protect the wood I'm the event of a leak. Of course I'd still use polysulfide caulk. Is my thinking correct? Thanks!!!
KeysDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 16:48   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Installing winches

That'll do. Some folks thicken the epoxy with appropriate powder, others would try to use it all the way liquid so the wood soaks up more of it. Some would to both, using a thinner epoxy (like Smith's) to soak into the wood, then filling the hole with thickened resin. As long as the wood ends up sealed, it's all good.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 16:53   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Your about 90% correct. Everybody has their own system but I found that instead of drilling all the way thru on the first set, is to not drill all the way thru the bottom side until after the epoxy is cured. And you can use the size drill as the finish size.

Also take an old small allen wrench, cut off part of the end, and route out some of the core, and vacuum out the excess debris before filling with epoxy/filler.

And it's best to fill from the bottom side up with a syringe, to help keep out the air bubbles.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drillmotor.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	38923   Click image for larger version

Name:	syringe.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	38924  

Old 19-03-2012, 17:03   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

The way ya sharpen your drill bits make a difference when ya drill glass and epoxy. If ya sharpen it as if you were cutting aluminum it works a little smoother then when sharpend for steel! at least it works better for me! love the syringe idea !!! thats a great one !!