Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 20:01   #16

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood
Re: Inspection of Encapsulated Chainplates??

My 1966 Columbia mark2 has encapsulated chainplates and as far as I know they have never been replaced. In 25 knot winds with Genoa and full main I broke some stuff, but not chainplates. I try not to sail that way, but it was a race. So now when I race I keep my eye on the stress on the boat(balance) and not the finish line. But it’s a boat, an old boat and things are going to break and hopefully I have stuff on board that will allow me to bodge a repair.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:19   #17

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I would definitely have them inspected by what ever means works best for your situation. just keep in mind that however you access them for inspection, you can almost plan on replacing at least one of them, requiring open access.

My question to all of you is: how old are your chainplates? I have read comments as to replacing every 15 years, or pulling them every x number of years to have them checked. Personally my new to me boat is a '68 Columbia 50 with all original partially encapsulated chainplates...some look good, some have rust stains..I don't trust any of them, and will replace all of them with Ti over the course of the winter. This was a salt water boat all of it's life fwiw. It is hard to believe that these chainplates will be 50 years old this coming year..the rigging inspector said they "look fine", than and a dollar cup of coffee thing.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:33   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Was the “inspector” recommended by the broker looking to close the sale?
Old 08-12-2017, 06:34   #19

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Was the “inspector” recommended by the broker looking to close the sale?
I am not sure if you are asking me, but I will reply. There were two inspectors that looked at this part of the boat.....the PO had just hired a rigging survey for insurance purposes, and I had hired a hull/rigging survey as part of the purchase. The insurance rigging surveyor only noted one lower and one upper that needed replacement in the future, but good for now. My surveyor noted the chainplates were all suspect, and to pull them and have them checked. Let's face it, rust stains running down the plate are never a good sign. I just plan on changing all of them over the winter while in a refit.

Side note: I do not go with any recommended surveyors...
Old 08-12-2017, 14:56   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Great topic. I am right in the middle of replacing my port and starboard chain plates. Fully encapsulated. Our boat is a 1986 Cheoy Lee 41 Pedrick. So 31 years and as we suspected not looking pretty. There was no way to know with out going in deep and committing. Here are some pics and as you can see some serious wood working to sort out the chain plate replacement. Project is going on now and I expect to be in at $12-$15K....ouch. But there was no way we were going to head to mexico with out piece of mind at least on this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	160274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1794.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	160275  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1795.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	160276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1796.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	160277  

Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 10:19   #21

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have one other question on this topic if I may. I'm a little confused as to what exactly is the load bearing surface for the chainplate. Several photos I've looked at show the knee of the chainplate just glassed to the inside of the hull, no bolts through the hull so does just glassing the knee to the hull transfer the load to the hull? Or does the tang of the knee below deck press against the underside of the deck effectively making the deck the load bearing surface? TIA

-Jim
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, inspection