Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2014, 15:42   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: In Mast Mainsail Furling System

FAMILY CIRCUS;

CHECK OUT SANDY FEET'S POST ON THE IN MAST FURLING JAM HE DEALT WITH.

Ann
Old 26-01-2014, 19:24   #17

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

My beneteau 40CC has a very similar mast and furler if not identical. When I first bought the boat I had a similar experence to what you describe. Usually yhe issue is the leach doubles over during furling due usually to inadequate tension on the outhaul. This will be compounded by an old baggy sail. Once this happens it is usually a trip up the mast to wrench the overlap free of the fulrling slot.

I replaced my mainsail 12 months ago and have never had an issue since. There is a usefull article written by a sailor on how to furl properly on the ZSpar website.

Dont be put off the inmast furling. I love it, however there are a lot of armchair experts who run them down. For ease of handling especially if you are short handed they are great. The lack of roach in the main does reduce the sail area and I guess performance a little, however I have never noticed too much of a difference. If one is concerned about deminished performace fit a folding prop. That will easily overcome the difference.

If you are concerned get down to a marina and find a skipper with in-mast furling and talk to him about it. Chances are that like me he'll love it.
cprebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 19:39   #18

Heres the link. Z Spars Mainsail Furling System - Help
Old 29-01-2014, 09:42   #19

Boat: Brewer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprebble View Post
My beneteau 40CC has a very similar mast and furler if not identical. When I first bought the boat I had a similar experence to what you describe. Usually yhe issue is the leach doubles over during furling due usually to inadequate tension on the outhaul. This will be compounded by an old baggy sail. Once this happens it is usually a trip up the mast to wrench the overlap free of the fulrling slot.

I replaced my mainsail 12 months ago and have never had an issue since. There is a usefull article written by a sailor on how to furl properly on the ZSpar website.

Dont be put off the inmast furling. I love it, however there are a lot of armchair experts who run them down. For ease of handling especially if you are short handed they are great. The lack of roach in the main does reduce the sail area and I guess performance a little, however I have never noticed too much of a difference. If one is concerned about deminished performace fit a folding prop. That will easily overcome the difference.

If you are concerned get down to a marina and find a skipper with in-mast furling and talk to him about it. Chances are that like me he'll love it.
cprebble,
Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate your input and the link to the ZSpar article. Very helpful. I am confident that it will solve our problems. We did BUY the boat so I should be an expert on the mainsail furling in no time at all, right? Thanks again!
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 10:43   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCircus View Post
cprebble,
Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate your input and the link to the ZSpar article. Very helpful. I am confident that it will solve our problems. We did BUY the boat so I should be an expert on the mainsail furling in no time at all, right? Thanks again!
Congratulations. I'm sure with a new main and following the proper procedure for furling you should be fine. Those Brewers are nice boats.
Old 29-01-2014, 13:03   #21

Thats great news. Glad to be of help.

Tags
furling, mainsail, mast, sail