Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 14:26   #61

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 34
Re: In-Mast Furling or Traditional Reefing

Agree that tiller is not good for a car, but better for a yacht under 40ft. See posts on various forums below:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ring-2512.html

Tiller or Wheel Steering ?

Tilller Vs. Wheel - Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums
Maartster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 14:49   #62

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I just realized you have an Albin Vega with a tiller and want to move upto a 34 foot boat.

Disreguard everything I said. A tiller will be perfect for you.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 23:49   #63

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Ok, so you’ve weighed up all the pros/cons and decided to go for in mast furling with vertical battens and electric winches on your new boat (in our case, a 60 year old couple, a Bavaria Vision 46).

So, suppose the weather unexpectedly starts to get bad and you are 18 hours from a safe port. You have furled the main 50% and the genoa 70%, but the wind/seas are getting worse so you decide to completely furl the genoa and furl the main further – but it jams or there is some other type of gear failure which prevents furling or unfurling (so that you could lower).

Realize that this is a highly unlikely scenario unless you have done something unwise, but let’s put that aside and just accept it has happened.

What do you do?

P.S. "it" is the in mast furler, assume the headsail furler is OK - or if not that you are able to furl by sailing in circles.
bobsail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 00:00   #64

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I'd cut the outhaul, then sail incircles and wrap the main around the mast. Tricky as all get out in heavy seas, but just about the only option

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsail2 View Post
Ok, so you’ve weighed up all the pros/cons and decided to go for in mast furling with vertical battens and electric winches on your new boat (in our case, a 60 year old couple, a Bavaria Vision 46).

So, suppose the weather unexpectedly starts to get bad and you are 18 hours from a safe port. You have furled the main 50% and the genoa 70%, but the wind/seas are getting worse so you decide to completely furl the genoa and furl the main further – but it jams or there is some other type of gear failure which prevents furling or unfurling (so that you could lower).

Realize that this is a highly unlikely scenario unless you have done something unwise, but let’s put that aside and just accept it has happened.

What do you do?

P.S. "it" is the in mast furler, assume the headsail furler is OK - or if not that you are able to furl by sailing in circles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling