Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2016, 08:43   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: in-mar furling vs traditional mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I'm Very curious to see the numbers & statistics which might substantiate this. And also, why are production boats being excluded from this claim? Including the specifics on which ones, & why.

Plus, what makes a cruising boat "high end"? Or for that matter, a "crusing boat". As there are a lot of racer/cruisers that could fall into some grey area, in such a statement. And be included, or excluded based on who knows what, undefined characteristics.
So defining things, would definitely be helpful in adding credence to this.

As without specific parameters to define such statements, such a "net" can be very large, but also have a fair number of holes. Through which, a lot of boat designs could slip.
I think the definitions are all there is you read the post.

"High end" means non-mass produced expensive Northern European boats -- Oyster, HR, Westerly, Discovery, Najad, Moody, whatever.

The boats excluded from this are French and German "wedgies" which often have mainsail oriented rigs and self-tacking (almost vestigial) headsails -- Dehler and some Benes. These don't have in-mast furling, and that's why I excluded them.

And obviously "racer cruisers" don't have in-mast furling, for obvious reasons of performance. There's no "gray area" -- I excluded them totally.

Then many main line cheap mass produced boats like Benes, Bavaria, etc, have conventional mainsails simply because in-mast furling is an extra cost option which many people don't order. That's why I excluded them.

With the population defined like that, in-mast furling is practically universal.

When I was shopping for a boat in the UK, I was looking at high end cruisers from 45 to 55 feet, and I looked at dozens of boats, mostly Oysters but not only. The only boat I saw without in-mast furling was a 1980's Oyster 53/55 ketch. I guess Oyster has made boats with conventional battened mainsails, but at least from the 1990's, they were exceptionally rare and special order. I've never seen one.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, mast