Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2014, 13:16   #16

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: If you don't use an entire tube of 4200 how do you seal it

Once you start you are doomed to continue. Just glue everything... Its going to get all over the place...if you see something just glue it! Glue the dog and cat...glue the kids..glue the neighbors, glue the car ect ect.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 13:27   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I use LifeCaulk in small tubes unless I have a big job. LifeCaulk lasts a lot longer without going off in the tube. Have had 5200 become unusable in a couple days after tube opened. Have used LifeCaulk a year or more after it was opened.

Have purchased Butyl Tape from this site:
***Buy Bed-It Butyl Tape*** Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
There are different qualities of Butyl. Tried the window seal tape from auto parts store which seems to only come in black. It's a mess to clean up because of the color. Try not to use a solvent to clean up. Solvents melt the stuff into a slurry that will stain old porous gel coat. The tape from the above source is grey and much easier to clean up. use a plastic knife around the edges of the fitting and pull the excess off. Butyl sticks to itself really well. Use a bit of Butyl to dab up small bits that stick around after you've pulled off the larger easy to get at remnants. Don't use butyl anywhere that will be subjected to fuel spills. As I said, petroleum melts the stuff real quick.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 16:53   #18

Boat: Bingham 28

Thank you too everyone for your help and suggestions
Old 25-01-2014, 17:16   #19
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Consider PL Door and Window by Loctite. It is also a polyurethane, has the same physical characteristics as 3M 4200 (strength, elasticity, elongation), and I've been using this in marine and outdoor applications for 10 years. At 25% of the price (Home Depot) it doesn't really matter if it goes off in the tube after opening (which it does). Cure time is about like 3M 5200, and depends on temp and humidity.

Why is it SO much cheaper? Loctite is hardly no-name. Perhaps volume, efficient distribution, and the lack of a marine label. Try it; it will amaze you for the price. NOTHING like other hardware store caulks.

Loctite PL S40 10 fl. oz. White Polyurethane Window, Door and Siding Sealant-1675293 at The Home Depot
Old 25-01-2014, 17:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Consider PL Door and Window by Loctite. It is also a polyurethane, has the same physical characteristics as 3M 4200 (strength, elasticity, elongation), and I've been using this in marine and outdoor applications for 10 years. At 25% of the price (Home Depot) it doesn't really matter if it goes off in the tube after opening (which it does). Cure time is about like 3M 5200, and depends on temp and humidity.

Why is it SO much cheaper? Loctite is hardly no-name. Perhaps volume, efficient distribution, and the lack of a marine label. Try it; it will amaze you for the price. NOTHING like other hardware store caulks.

Loctite PL S40 10 fl. oz. White Polyurethane Window, Door and Siding Sealant-1675293 at The Home Depot
---

And butyl, of course. Long shelf life, can use it in cold weather (bedded 4 cam cleats at ~ 45F last week, and really lasts. I only use urethane where I need adhesion.
Old 25-01-2014, 18:45   #21

Off to Home Depot in the morning 😊
Old 25-01-2014, 19:25   #22

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Also commercial window/glass shops carry butyl tape. One local shop I went to, to get a piece of glass for a frame, had it in three sizes. So now I have a local supplier.

Sorry Maine
Old 26-01-2014, 05:11   #23

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

This sounds like a GREAT discovery! I'm at HD and Lowe's all the time anyway.

But here's the point in the thread where someone with a little chemistry knowledge pipes up and explains the fatal flaw in the logic of using the much cheaper product.

Anyone?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 05:43   #24

Boat: Lagoon 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark star View Post
Does butyl sealant have a brand name and or location?
Almost all RV/mobile home supply stores have it
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 06:15   #25

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

And here:

RV Vintage Teardrop Trailer 50ft x 3 4" Butyl Sealant Tape Grey | eBay

I keep a couple of rolls of butyl tape in different sizes on the boat and use it wherever I have a mechanical bond. The black stuff from GM is very sticky and works great for sealing windows and port lights.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 06:21   #26

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
This sounds like a GREAT discovery! I'm at HD and Lowe's all the time anyway.

But here's the point in the thread where someone with a little chemistry knowledge pipes up and explains the fatal flaw in the logic of using the much cheaper product.

Anyone?
Just don't use it below the waterline: "Not recommended for underwater applications or permanent water immersion"
(Loctite PL S40 Window Door and Siding Sealant from Loctite Adhesives)
Old 26-01-2014, 06:48   #27

What they need to offer for all these sealant / adhesive products which come in tubes and cartridges is very small mini sized tubes for small projects. Most of mine are and no matter how small the tube is only a small quantity is required for most of my fix it projects.

The way they make these products without a mini size ends up being very expensive and wasteful.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 10:00   #28

Boat: Currently boatless

At some point the cost of packaging, distribution, retail, etc is greater than the cost of the product. Right now the smallest tube of 4200 is 3oz. I'm not sure 3M could sell it in much smaller quantities and still make a profit.
Old 26-01-2014, 11:22   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Just don't use it below the waterline: "Not recommended for underwater applications or permanent water immersion"
(Loctite PL S40 Window Door and Siding Sealant from Loctite Adhesives)
Absolutely. I encourage folks to read spec sheets and to experiment with products at home and on non-critical projects. That's how we learn. This is a product with the same basic chemistry as 5200/4200, but is no doubt a little cheaper formulation. Like 4200/5200, it requires humidity to cure. I've used it around the house for many years and for bedding on the boat for 10 years. I've used it for many things you would use 4200 or 5200, including bedding, fabric glue, inflatable tender chafe guards and repairs. I even used it to seal a fish pond (pure experiment, from my boater side about 8 years ago; still holding). But I would not go counter to manufacturer guidance. Specifiically I like it for project that either require large volumes to fill a void, or where I just need a dab to bed something (the large tubes last several months if sealed with foil).

But like I said, it is NOTHING like hardware store latex caulk. Experiment with it and I'm sure you will find some good applications where it will save some money, both at home and on the boat. Imagine feeling that you could afford 5200 around the house!

(chemical engineer)
Old 26-01-2014, 11:30   #30

I shall certainly conduct some experiments with both the Loctite product and the butyl tape. Nothing can be worse than what I have just experienced removing all the cabin top fittings and chunks of epoxy and plywood along with it. All is now repaired, filled faired and repainted so it is time to put the fittings back which are held on with stainless bolts and nylon nuts some just need to stop any water ingress and it looks like I have some great suggestions based in experience.