Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2011, 17:22   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Identifying a Mast Boot

I have a CAL 35 and I am wondering about replacement parts for my mast boot. Maybe someone can help me id it. It is a five part boot. 4 of the parts are aluminum. There are 2 gaskets one of which lives above and one below deck. They each have eight bolt holes that through bolt through the deck. The other two aluminum pieces could be described as tangs that bolt onto the gaskets and then through bolt through the mast to keep it vertically and horizontally in place.

Here is the clincher, the 5th piece of this puzzle has worn out. It is the rubber seal that sits between the upper gasket and the deck and keeps the water out. It has become so degraded by UV etc that it is essentially useless and lets water come poring in when it rains.

Does this ring a bell to anyone? Can you help me ID this hardware?

My next step is the chuck the whole thing and just fill in the thru bolt holes with epoxy and use spar-tite.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 19:05   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Identifying a Mast Boot

You could try posting this question on the Cal forum on SailboatOwners.com:
Cal - SailboatOwners.com

But your next step (chuck it all and move on to Spartite) sounds more promising.
Old 28-11-2011, 19:49   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Are there any labels/stickers identifying your mast or boom? From there you can goto their web and find a parts list. Mast boots are usually sold along with a new mast.
Old 30-11-2011, 05:26   #4

Boat: Looking for a new boat

I found it!

Kenyon 5280 CR Mast Section
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 09:19   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
They say; "There are many parts for specific configurations that are not listed here. If you require 5280 Mast Components not listed here please contact us with details." This one looks pretty close but I'd call them anyway.

Quote:
Mast Boot for Metal Mast 7953P Performance Section: MMP-7953PMB:
Mast Boot to fit Metal Mast 7953P Performance Mast Section (7.9" x 5.3") and special fabricated Deck Collar. Hard molded white PVC Mast Boot is 3 1/4" high x 10 1/4" long x 7 1/2" wide.

OR.......

Low-Profile Deck Collar Assembly for 5280: K-10946:
Low-profile 5280 Deck Collar Assembly, for keel stepped masts. Deck Collar Rings are bolted together (with Deck in between), using (8) 5/16" bolts and nuts. Mast Support Tabs bolt through Collar Rings, 3/8" bolt is later installed through Mast and Support Tabs preventing the deck from rising under rigging loads. Base size is 11 1/8" x 8 3/8" x 3/4" high. Deck Collar Rings and Mast Support Tabs are cast in 356 Aluminum with black epoxy finish. Kit includes (2) K-10926 Low-profile 5280 Deck Collar Rings, (2) K-10931 Mast Support Tabs, (1) 3/8" x 7" bolt with locknut, and the K-77509-24 rubber Mast Wedge. Original Assemblies used the K-10768 Urethane Mast Collar (no longer available), as shown, which mounted between deck and upper Deck Collar Ring, requiring removal of Deck Collar Rings when unsteping the mast.

Mast Boot for 5280 Low-Profile Deck Collar: K-10926BLP:
White PVC Mast Boot helps prevent leakage at the deck. Slid over mast prior to stepping, it is then secured with a hose clamp on K-10926 Low-Profile deck collar ring and one around the mast. One piece molded construction for optimum fit. 50 D

Tags
mast