Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 20:36   #1

Identify Headsail Furler

Hi,

Can anyone help identify this roller furler system?

It has an open style plastic drum and is mounted on a 1986 Ticon 30.
The upper swivel bearing is in poor condition and no longer allows the jib furler to operate. Would like to either remove and service the bearing or remove and replace the furling system if parts are no longer available.

So far have not figured out how to remove the furler from the forestay as it does not seem to be assembled similarly to more modern units.

Any help would be appreciated.

GeoSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 22:32   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Identify Headsail Furler

Looks to me like a Selden/ Furlex but I don't recognise the model..

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/370961...-1/s-l1000.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Selden-Furl...-/370961250905
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 23:27   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Looks like a Selden and the manual is available. Before you tear the whole thing apart, on both the upper and lower units there is a small hole and a cover which needs pushing out of the way, then a good quality grease can be squirted inside the bearings. Made a huge improvement on my when we first did it as it hadn't been done in some years when we got the boat.

This isn't quite the right manual but will be close enough for "Government work" and give you an idea.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...?do=file&id=32

Also don't overlook You Tube,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=-2jmb7Sk3So
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:36   #4

Thanks for the info. After having to wrap the jib manually to get back to the dock liberal amounts of grease were applied to all the grease fittings. It definitely improved the turning effort but the halyard swivel feels "crunchy' when turned by hand and it is not possible to furler the jib smoothly. The bearing will bind and 'stickslip' every other revolution or so.

It seems the halyard bearing needs to be replaced or rebuilt if possible. The rest of the furlering system while worn is in reasonable shape still.

If I was to dismantle the furler, would the assembly be removed from the top or the bottom of the forestay? Would the whole forestay need to be removed from the boat for servicing?
GeoSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:54   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Can't help there because last time the mast was taken down in my absence so the mast and furler was on a set of stands in the yard.

However, if you have time take take the forestay and furler down and support the mast with a halyard during this time. Sounds like your furler hasn't been maintained for some time and the forestay inside could do with a good inspection at the same time.

That way when it goes back up its one less thing to worry about.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 14:24   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

GeoSails,

If you're planning to do this by yourself, or, with a friend to help, you need a place longer than the lengths of the furler and the stay combined, if you decide to replace the rigging wire. Send my Jim a PM if you want him to describe how he end-to-end splices the wires to use the old one to pull the new one through.

In our experience, roller furler headsail wire begins to strand, about 6 to 8 inches below the upper toggle. This is because using the sail partially furled changes the cyclical loading on that portion of the wire.

If you go to all the work to take it apart, replace all the gritchy bearings now, don't set yourself up to have to do it again soon.

Ann

Tags
furler, head, sail