Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 23:55   #16

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair
Re: I want to find a boarding ladder like this

the photo probably was taken upside down, like with a mobile phone:
Why Your iPhone Photos Are Upside Down & How To Fix That
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 04:31   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailboatRon View Post
If I go back into freshwater I will have to have a ladder like this , if I launch her in the ocean this year I might not have passengers interested in swimming as much . I can build one out of steel but it will rust badly so have not do so.
If you want to make one out of mild steel, look into salt bath nitriding. So long as the welds & base metal are okay with the heat involved in said process that is. And also, that you do ALL of the machining which you need to on it, prior to having it treated. As afterwards, such is nigh on impossible.

Said processes key perk (in this application) is it's virtual imperviousness to corrosion. It's something which they do on high wear engine parts, such as those associated with turbochargers & such.

Albeit the cost of said treatment may exceed that of having a custom fabricated stainless ladder made.

Regarding custom stainless fabrications done. A couple of tips:
- Have compression tubes added through each rung, for the bolts of the teak treads. They'll help with the load, but especially in maintaining the ladder as a sealed unit.
That, or if you prefer plain holes for such bolts, a couple of drain holes in the ladder's bottom might be wise.

- Get it passivated/passivate it.

- Welds are okay for a lot of work. But if you can swing it, fiscally, it might be worth looking innto having lugs added to each joint. So that the area of each connection is a lot bigger.
As stainless can be prone to cracking in welded areas which have repeated cyclical loading.

By lugs, I'm referring to those akin to old school, light weight, steel, racing bicycle frames. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...Lugs&FORM=IGRE
Lugs were/are commonly used to build such frames so that they can use much thinner tubing, & still have them hold up. Via the lugs spreading out the loads over more of the tubing at each joint.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 04:43   #18

Boat: Clark Industries San Juan 30

Thanks everyone , I will be tackling this , during the winter , as well as a total refit. I have my hands full . Already finished. Complete hull sanded, below toe rail , engine rebuilt, mast rewired with all led lights , all thru hulls replaced and new bilge pumps. Completely rewired boat with new panels. New inverter, New battries .Now onto a few fiberglass repairs.
SailboatRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 06:34   #19

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumlater View Post
White Water Marine in Port Huron, MI will make custom ladders for quite reasonable www.whitewatermarine.com I can send picture later. They hinged mine so it doesn't become a lightning rod and get deep enough in the water that you don't have to be a gymnast to get up
Agree with Whitewater. Replaced all the Stainless on Bluestocking when Bruce and Sandy owned the company. First class, good prices.
Old 23-11-2015, 09:42   #20

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39

It's worth checking with:

MYSTIC STAINLESS & ALUMINUM

They do custom fabrication and their work is very high quality.
Good luck.
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote