Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 18:46   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: I need to choose a configuration for the staysail..

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
That's what I call "getting ahead of yourself", although in a good way. If that wind is off the land, great. Open ocean, chuck out the drogue!
It was actually fun while it lasted, but we didn't maintain that for long. Finally just hove to and rode it out for 24 hours (quite comfy for near hurricane force conditions...slept, made coffee, cooked). We were about 150nm offshore and wind was coming from shore so sea room was not an issue. Seas got big, bit not really ugly, so we just bobbed along.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:47   #17

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I like a wishbone staysail boom. Simple, self vanging and drops easily without easing the clew or messing with luff lacings to slack the luff.

A full length batten near the top is good for sailshape and sail life. Stopping excessive fullness and fluttering in the typically high aspect staysail.

Also good to have port and stb preventers to stop the boom gybing over when running, heaving too, and to back staysail for manoeuvering under sail.

One deep reef is useful.

Sent from my C6903 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-06-2014, 08:46   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I like a wishbone staysail boom. Simple, self vanging and drops easily without easing the clew or messing with luff lacings to slack the luff.

A full length batten near the top is good for sailshape and sail life. Stopping excessive fullness and fluttering in the typically high aspect staysail.

Also good to have port and stb preventers to stop the boom gybing over when running, heaving too, and to back staysail for manoeuvering under sail.

One deep reef is useful.

Sent from my C6903 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Good advice in the last two posts.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:55   #19

I've only had loose footed, and as setup they tend to be very limited in use. The tracks do not accommodate a wide variety of point of sail. The tracks may be installed so you can beat to weather fairly well but if you crack off the sheet a lot the sail looks like crap. The boom takes care of much of this issue. OTOH, I used a 4 part "barber hauler" on my staysail clew and was often able to solve the sheeting angle issues with that. Not quick tacking or jibing that way though!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:10   #20

I seriously believe the biggest problem with most staysails is they are too small
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:11   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I've only had loose footed, and as setup they tend to be very limited in use. The tracks do not accommodate a wide variety of point of sail. The tracks may be installed so you can beat to weather fairly well but if you crack off the sheet a lot the sail looks like crap. The boom takes care of much of this issue. OTOH, I used a 4 part "barber hauler" on my staysail clew and was often able to solve the sheeting angle issues with that. Not quick tacking or jibing that way though!
I hesitated to mention barber-hauling because I figured no one would recognize the term, but this would be my preference. I figure that as "a sail that stays", I would be using it under windvane guidance for long periods (maybe days) on the same tack and therefore it would require little tweaking once set. To me, the extra "fuss" of the barber-hauling option outweighs the hole in the (steel) deck required by the wishbone boom option. If I had a ketch, I would think differently, but for our cutter, where the staysail stay terminates in the anchor well, I would have too busy a foredeck to want a staysail boom. Others may well choose differently and correctly for their boat and sailing plans.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:12   #22

I seriously believe the biggest problem with most staysails is they are too small

Yeah, some may be. The ones on my Tanton 44 and Passport 47 were perfect. Both boats were a real pleasure with two reefs, staysail and 30-35 knots of wind. No weather helm and flat and fast! Woooo Hooo! Some of the best sailing I ever had.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:18   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I need to choose a configuration for the staysail..

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I hesitated to mention barber-hauling because I figured no one would recognize the term, but this would be my preference. I figure that as "a sail that stays", I would be using it under windvane guidance for long periods (maybe days) on the same tack and therefore it would require little tweaking once set. To me, the extra "fuss" of the barber-hauling option outweighs the hole in the (steel) deck required by the wishbone boom option. If I had a ketch, I would think differently, but for our cutter, where the staysail stay terminates in the anchor well, I would have too busy a foredeck to want a staysail boom. Others may well choose differently and correctly for their boat and sailing plans.
Just weld on the base fitting.. so much drier..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 18:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Just weld on the base fitting.. so much drier..
It's occurred to me, certainly, but finding a welder who can fabricate around here is driving me to learn welding and fabrication...

Tags
sail