Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-11-2012, 09:54   #1

Boat: looking
I lost my balls!

We are putting some new canvas up, see our latest post so I needed to get the traveler car out of the way. Looks simple enough, just remove this screw and slide it on down the track and... oh S$&t!!!

All the ball bearings that were in the traveler car started to escape. Some of the balls headed over board into the water. Fortunately I had an appointment with a local rigger the next day. I asked him about getting replacement balls.

He took one of my balls for reference and said that he might have some at the shop. He came back that after noon and handed me a ziplock bag with about 20 balls! Whew I felt lucky.

The problem is that his balls are a different color. The balls are the same size 3/8". I looked at Harken's website and all of the balls that are 3/8" are made of the same material in the list... But why are his balls a different color than my balls?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:16   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: I lost my balls!

I don't know, but it's probably Obama's fault.

Seriously, the plastics used in bearings, like Torlon and Delrin, if Delrin is still used for bearings, are coloured in the manufacturing process. The colour has no bearing, so to speak, on the function, which would be the same as long as the material is the same.

And if the reassembled bearing race works properly, they are probably the correct material.

Old 14-11-2012, 09:32   #3

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43

If the balls are of different colour they will be of a different colour, Torlon balls - the strongest and best are brown and Delrin will be white. So, if your replacement balls are brown you will OK regardless, if the other way around you're no in the long run.

Happy leadfree sailin
Lucky
Old 14-11-2012, 13:33   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mike View Post
We are putting some new canvas up, see our latest post so I needed to get the traveler car out of the way. Looks simple enough, just remove this screw and slide it on down the track and... oh S$&t!!!

All the ball bearings that were in the traveler car started to escape. Some of the balls headed over board into the water. Fortunately I had an appointment with a local rigger the next day. I asked him about getting replacement balls.

He took one of my balls for reference and said that he might have some at the shop. He came back that after noon and handed me a ziplock bag with about 20 balls! Whew I felt lucky.

The problem is that his balls are a different color. The balls are the same size 3/8". I looked at Harken's website and all of the balls that are 3/8" are made of the same material in the list... But why are his balls a different color than my balls?
Note that there is a plastic "clip" for most Harken Travelers that allows one to load the bearing balls in the car and then slip the car onto the track without loosing any. Doing so without the clip is very difficult and could be problematic (BTDT). Some riggers that routinely work on Harken gear carry them but it is wise to have one of the correct size for ones own equipment.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 14:16   #5

Boat: looking

I was very thankful to have the Harken tool onboard. The car is back in place and the canvas job nearly done! We will update our original blog post, shade at last, with pictures of the complete project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2824.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	50239  

Tags
lost

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: