Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2008, 10:48   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Hydraulic Boomvangs $$$$

I've done my Google home work and have only found sailtec (model -30) and Holmatro (model HVG-30) as legitimate suppliers of Hydraulic boomvangs for the size I need (about 2100mm closed)

These are incredibly expensive ...like around 5gs for the sailtec (after a BIG discount)
The Holmatro was well over 7gs also after a big discount....Damn!!

These prices include the control panel/pumps.
Although I wanted stainless steel these prices are for aluminum cylinder and panel faces.

Can any of you recommend another supplier/Mfg...and what’s up with these prices??
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 11:06   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
These are incredibly expensive ...like around 5gs for the sailtec (after a BIG discount)
The Holmatro was well over 7gs also after a big discount....Damn!!

These prices include the control panel/pumps.
Although I wanted stainless steel these prices are for aluminum cylinder and panel faces.

Can any of you recommend another supplier/Mfg...and what’s up with these prices??
Have you ever tried to manufacture all those intricate parts? You'll under stand the cost.

As a owner of the machines to do that type of work it's still less expensive to for me to buy the production stuff. It would take twice as, or more, long to make one of each piece then to just buy them. Which means more $$$$ not including the time I could be doing something else.
Old 16-12-2008, 11:13   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Think about a Garhauer RV 25-1 Rigid Vang as an alternative:

These are custom manufactured to each users specific requirements at a cost of about $875.00. See: Garhauer Marine Hardware -8133771

Garhauer built our vang, including custom mast and boom fixtures, for less than the cost of having the boom and mast fittings made up for some of the other manufactures.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 11:40   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Thanks guys

I've got two problems with the Garhauer and this style.

1- Where the boomvang installs between the base of my mast and the attachment point on the boom, passes very close to the forward edge of my "coach roof" the lines hanging from underneath would always contact it.

2- I really like having as few lines on deck as possible...I would rather run the Hydraulic line through the interior then have the turning blocks and fairleads and line on deck.

I had talked myself into going with the sailtec…but am having a hard time getting the pro-forma invoice from them so I can do the wire transfer…I’ve actually started to almost beg them to send it as they said they would a couple weeks ago.

So now I’m pissed and will cut off my nose to spite my face.

I can’t believe how un-professional some of these outfits are….I’m actually trying to spend money with them and cant get any help….guess business is good”
Old 16-12-2008, 12:03   #5

For what it's worth, my boat's previous owner installed a Sailtec boomvang. It's been trouble-free and works great. It has the aluminum housing which looks as good as new after eight years.

So while their business skills may be weak they seem to know how to make a good product. I do find the price you've been given a bit breathtaking but I have no idea how much the PO paid.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000253.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	6273  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 12:12   #6

What about ordering the Garhaurer Vang sans blocks and lines (a cost savings) and then simply use a standard off the shelf hydraulic cylinder from someone like Bailey's (see: Bailey Hydraulic Cylinders Manufacturer ) to apply the tensile load you'd need. You could simply cap off the extension valve and only use the retraction valve. No? All up, less than $1,000.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 16-12-2008, 12:21   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm not sure I get the idea...
"the Garhaurer Vang sans blocks and line"
This still puts the lines on deck.
Old 16-12-2008, 12:53   #8

James--

You don't order or use the blocks. You simply get the rigid vang strut and connect a hydraulic cylinder between the lower plate that the lower blocks would otherwise be connected to and the attachment point for the upper block. The reason there are so many lines on the system is to multiply the compressive force of the lines. The cylinder, used in the retraction mode, only, provides the tension that the blocks and lines would otherwise. You could simply cap off the valve for the extension mode as the spring assembly in the strut provides the lift for the vang. You may be able to order a 2-1/4" cylinder "off the shelf" and specify the length of the ram you need. If necessary, a threaded ram extension could give you the required added length. On a vang you really don't need that much throw.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
Old 16-12-2008, 18:17   #9

James--

The foregoing comments were predicated on the assumption that you have a hydraulic system in place already. If that is not the case than my suggestions are erronious.

In either case, please accept our best wishes for the success of your endeavor.

s/v HyLyte
Old 16-12-2008, 19:31   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Have you looked into Navtec? It is what I have and I like it.
Old 16-12-2008, 21:56   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hylyte
Thanks...no I don’t have any existing hydraulics...I had considered putting together my own set-up..the one thing the purpose made vangs cylinder have that I haven’t found cheaper is the internal/hidden supply line for the fluid to the top of the piston.....that’s just a question of esthetics but its important to be.

Irwinsailor
Navtec's web site says they are "unavailable"
I sent them an email at least two months a go and have had no response....?
Thanks
Old 17-12-2008, 06:23   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We have a Navtec. It's now undergoing it's third rebuild in 8 months...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail control, sail shape, boom vang