Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-08-2012, 15:57   #1

Boat: Hunter E33
Hunter e33 in Fast Furling Problems

I seem to be having an issue with my in mast furling setup. The problem seems to be two fold and has happened on a number of occasions. Here's what I'm experiencing:

Firstly, the continuous line that runs from the ratchet on the mast isn't spliced correctly and gets jammed in the lock handle in the cockpit, so pulling the main out as well as in is quite difficult. This splice area also seems to come loose around the ratchet on the mast which the creates a whole other problem. I make sure to keep tension on the lines, it slips and jams due to a bulge around the spliced part.

Secondly, the ratchet setup is in such a way that there is two settings; ratchet and free. Its my understanding that when set on free the main will roll either way freely. When set on ratchet it seems that the main will only go one way; out. This seems to be backwards to me.

These two problems which have happened in conjunction with each other are not only worrisome but quite dangerous. When the furling line from the cockpit gets jammed, I can't reef the main when necessary. If I pull too tightly, it slips from the ratchet and I loose all control of the main. Both free and ratchet setting on the roller furling allow the sail to come out, but only the free setting allows it to go in (as well as out, there is no way to lock it). This has almost caused catastrophic conditions on a number of occasions.

I believe that the roller is setup backwards. What I'd expect it do is when set to ratchet, is that the main will only go In and not out, this seems logical for safety's sake, but in reality it's set to the opposite. Today I Had to tie off a winch handle with the halyard to keep it from spinning out in 25 knot winds when the line slipped. This is because there is no way to keep the main in the mast when the furling line slips.

If this is setup correctly and there is a way to not have this happen, please let me know. On another note, the continuous line is another issue altogether that needs to be addressed from hunter.

Old 12-08-2012, 20:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Hunter e33 in fast furling problems

Have you tried contacting the maker of your in mast furling rig. They may be able to help you. How about the Hunter dealer?

Old 12-08-2012, 21:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
Have you tried contacting the maker of your in mast furling rig. They may be able to help you. How about the Hunter dealer?
Yes, spoke to both. Dealer installed it backwards and is not replying to my forms of contact in their typical fashion. At a loss to my next steps, but sailing in that manner is scary.
Old 12-08-2012, 21:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

This video explains that you should set it to "Free" to unfurl and to "Ratchet" to furl.
Old 12-08-2012, 21:28   #5

Boat: Valiant 42
Hi Gregg,

I have not personally seen a continuous line in-mast furler so please don't take this the wrong way.

If the furler will roll both ways (free wheeling mode) can you unroll it and then keep going that direction with the furling line and roll it up the right direction? After that things should be going the right direction.

Dan
Old 12-08-2012, 21:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz

This video explains that you should set it to "Free" to unfurl and to "Ratchet" to furl.
Yes it's backwards from that for sure. My ratchet setting allows the sail out but not in. Free allows it both ways. So today when I was out alone and the wind gusted to 25 something, the already reefed sail went flying out from ratchet mode and I had to put a handle in the roller and secure it with a loose halyard end to keep it from going out. Ended up motoring in with my heart beating like crazy.
Old 12-08-2012, 21:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan
Hi Gregg,

I have not personally seen a continuous line in-mast furler so please don't take this the wrong way.

If the furler will roll both ways (free wheeling mode) can you unroll it and then keep going that direction with the furling line and roll it up the right direction? After that things should be going the right direction.

Dan
That's very interesting. But I believe it stops rolling once the sail is all the way out. Honestly I'm afraid to even try it.
Old 12-08-2012, 23:37   #8

Boat: Valiant 42

Hi Gregg,

If it is calm you could try it at the dock. I don't see how the furler can be installed backwards from looking at the video. When the sail was all the way out it's possible the furler was cranked the wrong way. Most furlers will roll up the sail in either direction but only one direction is the "right" one.

Good luck,
Dan
Old 13-08-2012, 12:26   #9

Re: Hunter e33 in Fast Furling Problems

The sail was clearly rolled up in the wrong direction during commisioning. As Dan says, roll it ALL the way out on a calm day and then roll it up correctly. If you roll it in with the winch handle in the drum AT THE MAST with the lever in ratchet mode you'll be good to go. Get someone to help by slowly feeding the outhaul line as you wind-up the sail on the drum. Inmast furling works great if conducted properly. If done sloppily...not so much.
Old 13-08-2012, 13:07   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Hunter e33 in Fast Furling Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggL View Post
I seem to be having an issue with my in mast furling setup. The problem seems to be two fold and has happened on a number of occasions. Here's what I'm experiencing:

Firstly, the continuous line that runs from the ratchet on the mast isn't spliced correctly and gets jammed in the lock handle in the cockpit, so pulling the main out as well as in is quite difficult. This splice area also seems to come loose around the ratchet on the mast which the creates a whole other problem. I make sure to keep tension on the lines, it slips and jams due to a bulge around the spliced part.

Secondly, the ratchet setup is in such a way that there is two settings; ratchet and free. Its my understanding that when set on free the main will roll either way freely. When set on ratchet it seems that the main will only go one way; out. This seems to be backwards to me.

These two problems which have happened in conjunction with each other are not only worrisome but quite dangerous. When the furling line from the cockpit gets jammed, I can't reef the main when necessary. If I pull too tightly, it slips from the ratchet and I loose all control of the main. Both free and ratchet setting on the roller furling allow the sail to come out, but only the free setting allows it to go in (as well as out, there is no way to lock it). This has almost caused catastrophic conditions on a number of occasions.

I believe that the roller is setup backwards. What I'd expect it do is when set to ratchet, is that the main will only go In and not out, this seems logical for safety's sake, but in reality it's set to the opposite. Today I Had to tie off a winch handle with the halyard to keep it from spinning out in 25 knot winds when the line slipped. This is because there is no way to keep the main in the mast when the furling line slips.

If this is setup correctly and there is a way to not have this happen, please let me know. On another note, the continuous line is another issue altogether that needs to be addressed from hunter.

What brand and model is your roller furler?
Old 13-08-2012, 13:09   #11

Thanks everyone, happy to say the trick worked. I pulled it out all the way and fed the main back in correctly. Just have to relabel my lines now. I appreciate the help!

Tags
hunter, furling

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: