Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 16:13   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Hoyt Booms

If these are so great, then why are they not on every yacht?

I recently visited the KM Yachts yard in Holland, and had a look around the owner's personal yacht, which had one of these -- but actually -- it had a hydraulic vang on it.

The arguments seem overwhelming -- especially, the question of angle of attack. I'm now using a three-dimensional sheet lead system (designed and made by me, but shameless copied from a mini-transat boat) which gives me a little control over the inboard-outboard position of the sheet lead, and it is a revelation. It is no less effective as a sail control then the traveler is for the main.

So why not a Hoyt boom? At least, one with a vang of some kind, not the ghastly fixed ones like we see on some boats from a recently bankrupted builder. This takes that -- inboard-outboard control of sheeting angle -- to a completely different level. The clew can be put right out far over the rail, in fact.

For running, you can spread the canvas out to the wind just like a square-rigger.

What's the catch? There must be one. I'm not seeing it, however.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 16:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Hoyt Booms

I don't understand, what do you mean by fixed?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 16:29   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Only till you get hit by one.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 16:30   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't understand, what do you mean by fixed?
The boom angle is fixed. As in the original Hoyt patent. The Hoyt Boom was originally designed that way.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 22-08-2016, 17:15   #5

Boat: C & C 25 MK1

They are good for day sailing pretty hard to put a dinghy on deck for cruising. you also can't use a big genoa
Jim_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 04:01   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The boom angle is fixed. As in the original Hoyt patent. The Hoyt Boom was originally designed that way.

Mine isn't and came that way Circa 1987. If for example I wanted to put a dinghy on deck all I have to do is remove the pin that attaches the sheet lines and hoist up the lanyard, the pole will lay right alongside of the Staysail. It has a simple bolt and a clamp that it articulates on. Now the newer ones do have that bend in them and appear to be fixed, I have always wondered why.

But for running down wind I'm seriously considering twin headsails, as opposed to running the Staysail out on its boom, boom is of course a pole so to speak, but I think the larger headsail would give more drive.

But then I am still learning, some have removed the boom as it's easy to remove, but I keep thinking, if there is no advantage, then why was it there?

Old 23-08-2016, 04:03   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Mine isn't and came that way Circa 1987. If for example I wanted to put a dinghy on deck all I have to do is remove the pin that attaches the sheet lines and hoist up the lanyard, the pole will lay right alongside of the Staysail. It has a simple bolt and a clamp that it articulates on. Now the newer ones do have that bend in them and appear to be fixed, I have always wondered why.

But for running down wind I'm seriously considering twin headsails, as opposed to running the Staysail out on its boom, boom is of course a pole so to speak, but I think the larger headsail would give more drive.

But then I am still learning, some have removed the boom as it's easy to remove, but I keep thinking, if there is no advantage, then why was it there?

Old 23-08-2016, 04:06   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hoyt Booms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
They are good for day sailing pretty hard to put a dinghy on deck for cruising. you also can't use a big genoa

I run a 135% Genoa, largest I can without new tracks, without any issue, to carry a dinghy on deck takes about 1 min to pull the pin and raise the pole, but you do then lose use of the Staysail, but then your just a Sloop, nothing much wrong with that?

Old 23-08-2016, 05:11   #9

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I'm confused. I know what a Hoyt boom is, and I know what a club footed sail is. It seems to me part of the definition of a Hoyt boom is that it doesn't require a vang.

Why is what you described not a club foot with a vang added?
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 05:22   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I'm confused. I know what a Hoyt boom is, and I know what a club footed sail is. It seems to me part of the definition of a Hoyt boom is that it doesn't require a vang.

Why is what you described not a club foot with a vang added?
It may very well be. I will be glad to be corrected on the terminology, if there are better or more precise terms. The design of this boat called it a "Hoyt boom", but maybe it would really be better just to call it a "jib boom", since it is different from the Hoyt design in some ways.
Walt Whitman
Old 23-08-2016, 05:32   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Read post #7 here, is this similar to what your considering?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...boom-1333.html
Old 23-08-2016, 05:49   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I found an image on the net, not my boat and I assume it's OK to post as it has the copyright on it.
But anyway as you can see the pole is straight, no curve and the part that attaches to deck has a bolt that the pole pivots on, the pole can be at any angle even straight up alongside of the furled staysail. This is just like mine, and it has the Hoyt Logo on it, so I assume it is a Hoyt boom
The funny bend and fixed angle came later I believe.
Remove that one bolt and the one pin at the other end of the pole, and the pole is removed. Or if you like pull the pin and run the pole straight up alongside of the furled Staysail
Old 23-08-2016, 05:52   #13

Quote:
It may very well be. I will be glad to be corrected on the terminology, if there are better or more precise terms. The design of this boat called it a "Hoyt boom", but maybe it would really be better just to call it a "jib boom", since it is different from the Hoyt design in some ways.
I see some people on the web are calling a club foot a jib boom, but traditionally that term already has been taken as an extension to the bowsprit. Or is it so obsolete that folks started using it for something different?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jibboom

I've sailed on a friend's CT 41 that had been modified with a square course and a square topsail on the main mast, and had 3 jibs, the outermost was tacked on the end of a jibboom (traditional usage of word, as in wiki linked.)
Old 23-08-2016, 06:12   #14

He patented this idea in 1995.
Jib Boom Data Sheet
John G. Hoyt Inventions, Patents and Patent Applications - Justia Patents Search

Island Packet included the "self vanging" Hoyt boom in its 320 as described in a 1998 article
Island Packet 320

Is what you're talking about older or newer than that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I found an image on the net, not my boat and I assume it's OK to post as it has the copyright on it.
But anyway as you can see the pole is straight, no curve and the part that attaches to deck has a bolt that the pole pivots on, the pole can be at any angle even straight up alongside of the furled staysail. This is just like mine, and it has the Hoyt Logo on it, so I assume it is a Hoyt boom
The funny bend and fixed angle came later I believe.
Remove that one bolt and the one pin at the other end of the pole, and the pole is removed. Or if you like pull the pin and run the pole straight up alongside of the furled Staysail
Old 23-08-2016, 06:14   #15
cruiser

I could never work on our cutter, either the staysail will be in the way or the inner-forestay. The jibs would need to be way too small.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote