Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2012, 20:14   #1

Boat: Catalina 25
How to waterproof holes in the deck?

Got 12 holes that penetrate the deck to hold the pulpit on. 4 holes for each stanchion for the lines along outside edge of the boat. What is the best way to waterproof those holes.

The boat is a Catalina 25 from 1982 and the sealant used under the stanchions is no longer working (evidently hasn't worked for quite a while given the gooberish job of try to seal the edges with caulk by someone many years ago).

Should I use a bed of silicone or something else? I want it to be easy to remove if I need to remove it, but I want the water to stay you. The pulpit had nothing sealing it, and therefore I'm working on repairing the rotted wood this weekend.

The Grey goop under the stanchions had in large part dried up, and I don't know whether to try to find a replacement for that stuff, or go with something like silicone.
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 20:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: How to waterproof holes in the deck?

Don't use silicon sealant. It probably will not adhere well enough. Use 3M 5200 as your bedding compound. It adheres better and is a stronger material. Rough the area up a little bit with a Scotchbrite pad for metal (dark red) before applying to get a better mechanical grip. Tape it off to make the lines look neat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 22:09   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Oh my gosh David! Don't you know only crazy people use 5200! It will be impossible to remove the stanchions ever again.
Old 16-09-2012, 22:51   #4

+1 on not using 5200.

3m 4000 UV or butyl rubber for me thank you very much.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 23:03   #5

Boat: Owens

Butyl tape is the only bedding compound that makes since if you ever wish to remove it without going through a bunch of hassle. Sounds like what has been on the OP's boat since 1982. Chamfer the holes a bit and re-bed. 30 years or so ain't a bad life expectancy in my book although it sounds about 10 years overdue by the OP's description. YMMV
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 00:26   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Watch this video.
Also you need to put some supports under the stanchons or use over sized backing plates to keep the deck from flexing. That is the main source of leaky stanchon screws. You can't seal something that is always moving.

The stanchons next to my gates never would stop leaking until I sealed the hull/deck joint and built up the cap rail. See my blog - 2011 - hull to deck joint.

Old 17-09-2012, 00:29   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M
Don't use silicon sealant. It probably will not adhere well enough. Use 3M 5200 as your bedding compound. It adheres better and is a stronger material. Rough the area up a little bit with a Scotchbrite pad for metal (dark red) before applying to get a better mechanical grip. Tape it off to make the lines look neat.
+1 - Don't use silicon inless you are not going to be the guy removing it for paint. I have ised silicon all over Relax Lah and am paying the price as I preep for paint. It sealed great but is a pita to get off.

Likewise don't use 5200 topsides - good for thru hulls, very difficult to remove.

I am planning to bed everything topsides with 4000 however butyl tape is being suggested by several folks.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 01:19   #8
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

You want a sealant that will flex a bit without losing adhesion. I would use butyl rubber tape. The tape is easier to use round cord-like butyl. You can occasionally find it at the hardware store but most RV stores have it or online.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 07:15   #9

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Watch this video.
Also you need to put some supports under the stanchons or use over sized backing plates to keep the deck from flexing. That is the main source of leaky stanchon screws. You can't seal something that is always moving.

The stanchons next to my gates never would stop leaking until I sealed the hull/deck joint and built up the cap rail. See my blog - 2011 - hull to deck joint.
Very interesting way to seal the screw holes. How well does that work in plywood decking? In my case I'll have to tape the bottom since the holes already exist.

The Butyl rubber tape I'm finding is 3/16" thick. Is that the right stuff? It seems terribly thick and would hold the stanchion away from the deck by a enough to make them wobbly.

Really sharp looking boat you have too, you have some amazing skills.
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 07:34   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Having used 5200 under railings ONCE ! I learned the Hard way.I fixed the leaks no Problem!! but 5 yrs later work had to be done in some of the areas repaired with the 5200. All I can say is, Maybe if your gonna sell it, but if your gonna keep it use something else !! It makes for a much harder job getting things apart! Just saying 5200 is for below the water line!!
Old 17-09-2012, 07:47   #11

This article will walk you through the process step by step, including the materials needed. Courtesy of Maine Sail

Sealing Deck Penetrations to Prevent Core Rot Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Jake Tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 07:51   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Please read the following photo essay on how to properly do the job, and DO NOT use 5200! Or Silicone!! Read the essay and I believe you will find butyl tape is the only way to go, and at the end of the essay there is a paypal link to buy the right size tape for the job. I just got some in the mail and delivery was very prompt. It is very rare for a true expert to divulge their "trade secrets" in such a thorough manner, refreshing! 5200 is referred to as DEVIL'S GLUE ha! The advice above on having adequate backing plates is a good idea.

This essay was one of the best written and most complete essays on ANY DIY job I have ever read, (and I just finished gutting and remodeling an 1853 farmhouse so I have read hundreds of them lately!)

Re-Bedding Deck Hardware Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

Addendum: Jake Tanley beat me to it!
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 07:51   #13

I am facing an analogous problem and I would welcome suggestions.

I am about to install a chain washer with the intended outlet to be to port of the windlass - a Jabsco flush quick connect hose fitting. I am not concerned with sealing the hole to protect the core. No different from the measures when install the windlass or the foot switches.

The issue is how to seal the hose which is coming from well aft of the anchor locker entering it from essentially the V berth... the hose will run under the bunk.

The anchor lock is wet, has a large week at the bottom and fills with water when the bow drops into a wave... and I do wash it out with a hose to get all the mud off the chain which drains through this weep hole.

The penetration into the anchor locker for the wash hose will be quite low... I don't want to run the hose visible in the V berth.. so under the bunk hides it nicely. But it also means it very low in the anchor locker and could leak. I can't imaging sealing hose so perhaps I have to use some sort of thru hull ... but I need to connect hose to both sides.

Or maybe epoxy in plastic or brass pipe and thread on hose barbs connectors on each end... and reinforce the pipe with a layer or two of plywood epoxied in. Since there is chain there it seems it should be brass rather than plastic pipe.

How do you make a water tight penetration in a bulkhead for a hose?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 07:53   #14

I've removed deck hardware with 5200 or something like boat life... I would suppose it depends on how much surface area is involved. It's strong but if the surface is not perfect for the bond the bond can be broken.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 08:03   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Yea ya can remove it alright!! A thin stainless wire heated to first red will slice thru it but ya gotta be very careful to not burn things LOL just a trick I learned the hard way !!

Tags
deck