Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2019, 06:59   #1

How to turn rope limiters by 90° on Fancor SD180 furler

Hi

I have a furler SD180 with incorrectly placed rope limiters / stoppers (don't know how it is called in English, sorry). I could not understand how to move them by 90°, maybe someone knows or someone has a mast on the land and can inspect it? Don't want to take out the forestay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_20190113_144419 web.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	190530   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_20190113_144736 web.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	190531  

georgy.goshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 07:49   #2

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch
Re: How to turn rope limiters by 90° on Fancor SD180 furler

There is a hex screw you need to remove. But it tends not to come out voluntarily.

You can download the instructions from Facnor
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 07:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
There is a hex screw you need to remove. But it tends not to come out voluntarily.

You can download the instructions from Facnor

Do you mean that I have to get removed the screws on the uppoer side of the drum, get the drum itself up and then I will be able to release there fittings?

Facnor give the installation and user manuals, both do not make clear. I'm affray to get the bearing balls out, it will be difficult to get it back
Old 21-04-2019, 07:56   #4

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I might be wrong as you have a different Factor furler from mine, but the screw should be under the drum.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 13:17   #5

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

To start with, the furling line is way to loose, it should be tight going around the drum, otherwise the when you go to roll the sail up, or reef some, the line will get lodged [under run] and you will not be able to roll the sail up.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 13:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
To start with, the furling line is way to loose, it should be tight going around the drum, otherwise the when you go to roll the sail up, or reef some, the line will get lodged [under run] and you will not be able to roll the sail up.
To start with, we would probably set up the sail first and, maybe, even put the boat down into the water.
But my question was how to turn these limiting railings by 90° so that the rope will run inside and will not be able to run up and be rolled on the stay.
Old 21-04-2019, 13:50   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
What Doug wrote here, is to try and keep the situation from happening again. That line is all balled up in the bale, and that happens when, during rolling up the sail, not enough tension is kept on the sheet. You need to have a small amount, and the line will align better on the winch.

We have a Facnor, and afaik, we cannot change the relationship of the drum bales, so not sure you'll be able to. However, manufacturers like to hide screws where they're hard to see. Even cover them up with little stickers. Maybe there will be a better exploded view online, that will help you figure it out, otherwise, it will be a hands on exploration. You will have to get the furler line out of there, and perhaps then, you will be able to find screws that would let you move the bale.

It is not the drum and bale that is the real problem, it is how the furler is being used. All the line should fit inside the bale, if it's the proper diameter for the duty. One thing you can do to help the line fit is to remove the core from about 1/3 m, that will then lie flat on the drum, making more space. We did that on our staysail furler, which is 8mm line.

Good luck with it.

Ann

On Edit: I don't think there is any danger of the ball bearings coming out, I believe they are captive in the bearing.
Old 21-04-2019, 13:58   #8

I understand well what did he said, but, again, my question was another. The rope is not tight because there is not sails and the boat is in winter storage yet. These railings was designed to help to prevent the rope run up and be rolled onto the sail or stay, on my boat that I've bought used the furler's drum has been incorrectly installed that I want to change.
Old 21-04-2019, 15:31   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

The guides appear to be correctly positioned. You have lead the furling line incorrectly!

You need to run the furling line through the guide. The way you have it rigged, they line is outside of the guide and can ride over it and jam.

Here's an illustration of the correct way to do it from the Facnor manual:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	facnor.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	190545  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 15:54   #10

once again, please respond the question was asked. really. my rope running wrong way because the guide installed incorrectly.

On the foto is not my boat but made the same. If I will place the rope inside the guide railings, it will not be straight, the rope line will be broken by this guide rail or the rope between the furler and previous organizer will be too long. So this is why I want to change the direction
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6220.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	190546  
Old 21-04-2019, 16:32   #11

Boat: Hanse 370

On my Facnor 180 the angle of rope guide/frame is adjusted by a hex screw just under the drum. You loosen the tension, rotate the guide and tighten when it is in position. As another has said, the rope should exit from the 'enclosed' part of the guide.
Gypsy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 20:23   #12

Boat: Viking, 9.4m,

Looking at the pictures, I wonder whether the furling rope should be coming (unwinding) from the starbord side, not port (as appears to be). If it did go in that direction, the guides would be correctly positioned. Do you have a (coloured) U/V panel on the sail? If so you should see this when it is furled. At present it does not seem to be obvious. It should be. So unwind all rope, and reset in the opposite direction out (with sail unfurled), and this my solve your problem. No screws to remove.
Old 21-04-2019, 22:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Nankervis View Post
Looking at the pictures, I wonder whether the furling rope should be coming (unwinding) from the starbord side, not port (as appears to be). If it did go in that direction, the guides would be correctly positioned. Do you have a (coloured) U/V panel on the sail? If so you should see this when it is furled. At present it does not seem to be obvious. It should be. So unwind all rope, and reset in the opposite direction out (with sail unfurled), and this my solve your problem. No screws to remove.
On the picture I posted, you can see that the limiting guide (I still don't know how to call that wire frame) is directed straight backward, so it's does not matter from which side the rope came in. The side where furling line run only depends on the side of the sail where the UV protection is, of course, and my rope runs on port side and this is usual situation, my another Dufour boat has a rope on a starboard and each time I order any headsail I have not to forget to tell it to the loft and if you try to buy some used sail, you will find that most of them has UV protection on the left.
Old 21-04-2019, 22:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy23 View Post
On my Facnor 180 the angle of rope guide/frame is adjusted by a hex screw just under the drum. You loosen the tension, rotate the guide and tighten when it is in position. As another has said, the rope should exit from the 'enclosed' part of the guide.
Yes, the rope should run inside and this is why I want to rotate, this is was in my first post That another who said it was really me Are your Fancor SD180 looks the same?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PIC_20190421_185446.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	190571   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_20190421_185509.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	190572  

Old 21-04-2019, 23:02   #15

Boat: Hanse 370

Just checked.. Mine is LS180 so it must be different. Sorry for false hope.
Gypsy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, rope