Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 11:09   #1

Boat: Hunter 380
How to Replace Continuous Furling Line

While sailing last weekend my continuous furling loop that powers my Selden in-mast furler on our Hunter 380 snapped while we were bringing in the main. I knew the line was worn out and needed replacing, so I blame myself that it finally gave in. Thankfully everyone was safe and nothing else was damaged except a single sheave.

Now to the question: How do I go about replacing this line? The only thing I can figure is to buy an unfinished line and have it spliced once it's already properly run. I might be able to work a finished continuous loop through the mast winch (the one with ratchet vs. free settings) but I can't figure how it'd pass through the two clutches (one for main in, one for main out). Are there other solutions I'm not considering here?
nickfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 11:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: How to Replace Continuous Furling Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfox45 View Post
While sailing last weekend my continuous furling loop that powers my Selden in-mast furler on our Hunter 380 snapped while we were bringing in the main. I knew the line was worn out and needed replacing, so I blame myself that it finally gave in. Thankfully everyone was safe and nothing else was damaged except a single sheave.

Now to the question: How do I go about replacing this line? The only thing I can figure is to buy an unfinished line and have it spliced once it's already properly run. I might be able to work a finished continuous loop through the mast winch (the one with ratchet vs. free settings) but I can't figure how it'd pass through the two clutches (one for main in, one for main out). Are there other solutions I'm not considering here?
End to end splice. Simples. I had to do one at sea this year for my Selden furling.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 11:36   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
End to end splice. Simples. I had to do one at sea this year for my Selden furling.
+1

http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/...or_End_WEB.pdf
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 12:06   #4

Thanks for the confirmation and link. Looking at buying Samson Rope as a replacement as it happens.

I'm a little intimidated to do my own splicing on such an important line on my boat, but after calling a local shop for pricing, I think I may be getting some practice!
Old 29-09-2017, 13:02   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation and link. Looking at buying Samson Rope as a replacement as it happens.

I'm a little intimidated to do my own splicing on such an important line on my boat, but after calling a local shop for pricing, I think I may be getting some practice!
Splicing is a fundamental skill. I recommend Brian Toss' books and tools; the D-splice fiddling is also great.

Marlow and probably others make special rope which works really well for this application: https://www.marlowropes.com/product/mgp-furler-50

The splice itself is an easy one:

https://youtu.be/4FAkLt66Mg0

Good luck!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 18:26   #6

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
.....I'm a little intimidated to do my own splicing on such an important line on my boat......
Doesn't that line simply allow you to operate the mast-mounted winch from the cockpit? If it fails, you have the option to operate the winch with a handle, so I'm missing why it's such an important line, unless you're singlehanded.
Old 29-09-2017, 20:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterling View Post
Doesn't that line simply allow you to operate the mast-mounted winch from the cockpit? If it fails, you have the option to operate the winch with a handle, so I'm missing why it's such an important line, unless you're singlehanded.
I'm still new to my boat, but operating that mast-mounted winch the other day was not easy. The mainsheet and outhaul lines run past it, making it hard to do more than a 1/4 turn at a time. Plus sitting on the deck and slowly operating that winch didn't seem nearly as safe as doing so from the cockpit. Getting my main in when I need it is pretty near the top of my list for safe boating requirements.
Old 30-09-2017, 08:55   #8

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:

My wife became a pro at it from watching Youtube videos. Not as hard as it looks.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 19:55   #9

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

You can watch Brian Toss on you tube on how to splice. This skill it part of sailing yes you will have to practice of 2 ft pieces till you get it . But than You can fix the next one on your own.
To be in control of your boat and skill is a gift you give your self and your ship .
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 19:59   #10

Nick sounds like your mast winch may be just two small for the job. I just replaced my lewmar 16 with a ANDERSON 28 2 speed self tailing winch so my wife could raise the sail and reef the main. She just loves the hard work out stuff. !
Old 01-10-2017, 07:39   #11

so, a quick trick for furling, a cordless drill with the right bit and you have an expensive electric furler at the mast.
captaindanger70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:47   #12

The drill does work of course. Its a 400 investment and you need to cheage it back up . Now I have a generator but most do not . So long cruises you must do alot of self sufficent type of sailing.
If you just day sail yup thats certainly a answer.
I do like winches that take no power from my batterys ! Even my anchor windless on my 38 is a Manual Lofrans. My wife just loves the crank work out ! ? Im just very lucky she loves to be involved.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
The drill does work of course. Its a 400 investment and you need to cheage it back up . Now I have a generator but most do not . So long cruises you must do alot of self sufficent type of sailing.
If you just day sail yup thats certainly a answer.
I do like winches that take no power from my batterys ! Even my anchor windless on my 38 is a Manual Lofrans. My wife just loves the crank work out ! ? Im just very lucky she loves to be involved.
Really what fake news are you buying from, check home depot and be sure to get 19v
captaindanger70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 19:24   #14

Boat: 2005 Hunter 33

Nickfox45, I have a selden in mast furler on my Hu ter as well. I am 99.9% sure that you can buy a pre made continuous furling line from Hunter and that there is a simple way to install it. Carefully review your Selden owners manual. I believe that is where I saw it. If not the folks at Hu ter could tell you. Best of luck to you!
jackjb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 19:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindanger70 View Post
Really what fake news are you buying from, check home depot and be sure to get 19v
A home depot drill will not have the torkue power to operate a winch. They make a 1/2 inch mawallkie drill takes 2 hands and a winch attachment. Set on low that machine will raise a sail or bring on a jib sheet under load. They are advertized in the back of all the sailing magazines.
Its still battery and needs spare batterys and charging. Still much cheeper than electric winches.

Tags
furling