Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2016, 18:09   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
How to hoist a courtesy flag

Okay, I know when to fly courtesy flags and why. And while cruising in the Caribbean, I even knew how. I simply had a light line run through a block on the starboard spreader with a couple of figure 8 knots to form loops tied in it. The line was tied to itself to make a continuous loop so you didn't lose one end of the line. My courtesy flags all had two grommets in them, and I used little clips like these below to attach the flags to the loops.

Flag Clips : Marine Accessories : Attwood Marine

And then I got to Europe. Every courtesy flag over here has a small eye at the top of the flag, and a short length of light line at the bottom. I've tried different ways to attach these, and none have really been satisfactory.

So, how is the best way to attach these flags to the spreader halyard? Thanks!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 18:18   #2

Boat: Hunter 49
Re: How to hoist a courtesy flag

Clip the top and a rolling hitch on the bottom would be my first guess.
KiteRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 18:24   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

We use small plastic snap hooks seized onto the flag halyard at an appropriate separation. Then tie a bowline loop into the bit of light stuff at the bottom of the flag, and snap the flag on and off as required.

Jim
Old 26-01-2016, 18:32   #4

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Okay, I know when to fly courtesy flags and why. And while cruising in the Caribbean, I even knew how. I simply had a light line run through a block on the starboard spreader with a couple of figure 8 knots to form loops tied in it. The line was tied to itself to make a continuous loop so you didn't lose one end of the line. My courtesy flags all had two grommets in them, and I used little clips like these below to attach the flags to the loops.

Flag Clips : Marine Accessories : Attwood Marine

And then I got to Europe. Every courtesy flag over here has a small eye at the top of the flag, and a short length of light line at the bottom. I've tried different ways to attach these, and none have really been satisfactory.

So, how is the best way to attach these flags to the spreader halyard? Thanks!

Steve
What we do is tie a bowline in the light line near the flag and clip on to it - works fine for us.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 18:44   #5

I could understand it if there were eyes at the top AND the bottom. And if folks are tying bowlines in the bottom to make the loop, then it just makes me wonder why they don't just sew two eyes in the flag to start with.

It's the fact that there is an eye at the top and a length of line at the bottom that confuses me. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it...

Cheers!

Steve
Old 26-01-2016, 18:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I could be wrong about this . . . But I always thought The reason for the eye at top and line at the bottom is so that you can string several flags together . . . . The string at the bottom also allows you to tension up the "luff" of the flag.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 18:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I could be wrong about this . . . But I always thought The reason for the eye at top and line at the bottom is so that you can string several flags together . . . .
Well, that makes sense.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 26-01-2016, 19:26   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I keep a bunch of these around as you noted in the OP. Tie the short line to the loop. Strong fingers needed.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 19:52   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

It used to be that the European ones had a small wooden toggle sewn in at the top that you put into a bowline loop on the hoist line and the other end was a short line 'tail' sewn in that could go, (usually with a sheet bend) into a loop formed on the ' lower/up hoist line' several flags could be flown on that system, as in club or association ones etc. and it allowed for ajustment to keep the flags under tension enough to keep them wrinkle free straight. Paradoxically I find the USA double eye system harder to deal with especially on the ensign which in the UK was fastened by the same toggle system to an ensign staff with a small top pullet and a hoist ine tied off to a cleat. Now we hve a Us documented boat it took a few tries to get the ensign fitted to a staff so as to fly neatly.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 23:12   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
It used to be that the European ones had a small wooden toggle sewn in at the top that you put into a bowline loop on the hoist line and the other end was a short line 'tail' sewn in that could go, (usually with a sheet bend) into a loop formed on the ' lower/up hoist line' several flags could be flown on that system, as in club or association ones etc. and it allowed for ajustment to keep the flags under tension enough to keep them wrinkle free straight. Paradoxically I find the USA double eye system harder to deal with especially on the ensign which in the UK was fastened by the same toggle system to an ensign staff with a small top pullet and a hoist ine tied off to a cleat. Now we hve a Us documented boat it took a few tries to get the ensign fitted to a staff so as to fly neatly.
Robin, could you please define top pullet for me? I thought a pullet was a young hen. Clearly it is not! Anyhow, thanks in advance.

Ann
Old 27-01-2016, 00:22   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Hmmm. I suspect Evans is right. I don't really have a problem with this. My flag halyard has two carabiner snaps. When I need to fly a flag, I simply hook the one at the top and the other in the bow line loop I've tied on the short line at the bottom.

When I remove the flag, I simply snap the two snaps together and the halyard line is now continuous. If I need to 2 or more flags, I simply hook the top grommet to the bottom line - flag to flag and then do what I do if flying one flag

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 00:43   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Not sure what you are talking about -- how about a pic as I am a sailor and not very bright -- so far we have sailed 9 countries in the Med and not had a problem -- what am I missing

Oh by the way see you may be from Canada -- don't forget about Schengen.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 03:24   #13

On the subject of ensigns and courtesy flags, has anyone ever seen the European Union flag used?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
PangurBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 04:57   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I cable tie them

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 05:14   #15

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

One use of eye at top, and line at bottom, could be to eliminate any confusion as to proper orientation of the flag?

I know this would seem silly to some, but there are a lot of flags out there. And this would be a simple way to avoid possible offending someone.

Just thinking out loud.