Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2017, 01:24   #1

Boat: Hunter 44ds
How to get this lower shroud fitting out of my spreader?

Hi guys,

I have a sparcraft mast, with rod rigging. My lower shroud recently snapped at the fitting in the spreader. I can't seem to find any manual on how to pull the fitting out. I can rotate it 360 degrees and it moves side to side in it's hole.

See the picture attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171121_124402.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	160511Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171121_124415.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	160512
SailAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 03:58   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: How to get this lower shroud fitting out of my spreader?

Looks like the spreader is notched around the fitting. Probably have to pull out the pin and circle clip, take of the spreader and pull the fitting up and out. Looks like either pulling the mast, or hang from a chair from a crane after stabilizing the mast with halyards
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 04:37   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAllDay View Post
Hi guys,

I have a sparcraft mast, with rod rigging. My lower shroud recently snapped at the fitting in the spreader. I can't seem to find any manual on how to pull the fitting out. I can rotate it 360 degrees and it moves side to side in it's hole.

See the picture attached.Attachment 160511Attachment 160512
Our mast has no shroud fitting on the spreader. I don't see one in your picture either. Maybe there is a terminology problem. The pictures you posted are the fitting where the spreader connects to the mast. There is normally no shroud at this connection.

On our Selden mast the shroud is captured at the spreader tip by a clamp that is attached to the spreader with machine screws. But the shroud is not actually fastened to the spreader. I doubt your shroud is attached to the spreader. It normally just passes around the end of the spreader and is attached to the mast above the first spreader.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 05:51   #4

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
How to get this lower shroud fitting out of my spreader?

I would bet that the spreader needs to be pulled to allow removal of the ball out the top.

Edit, it appears you remove the spreader and lift the ball up and outboard to unseat it.

http://www.seldenmast.com/files/1384...r=0&navpanes=0
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 08:35   #5

you need to pull the spreader off.

I would suggest that you take the mast down and replace all the rigging at the least have it re headed. this is a tell tale sign of more issues, you lucky the rig didn't come down
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 08:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Our mast has no shroud fitting on the spreader. I don't see one in your picture either. Maybe there is a terminology problem. The pictures you posted are the fitting where the spreader connects to the mast. There is normally no shroud at this connection.

On our Selden mast the shroud is captured at the spreader tip by a clamp that is attached to the spreader with machine screws. But the shroud is not actually fastened to the spreader. I doubt your shroud is attached to the spreader. It normally just passes around the end of the spreader and is attached to the mast above the first spreader.
The fitting, less the broken shroud, is shown in the picture.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 09:52   #7

Boat: Cal 31 sloop

I think, as several others have commented, that you mean a broken spreader bracket that holds spreader to the mast-- the area you pictured. I am wondering if the "snapped" refers to the slot between the large pin and the mast. Was that slot created by metal tearing out of the aluminum spreader from the forces on the spreader?

I assume you want to get the large pin out. It looks like it has a center pin inside the body of the pin. If so, I suspect you need to drive that inner pin upward relative to the outer pin to release some hidden locking balls and that the pin is similar to a common "ball lock" or "quick release" retaining pin. Lots of penetrating oil is also called for. I would also suggest contacting Seldon and sending them your pictures.

I know that if one side of a machine is worn or broken or loose, that the other side is also. IF IT WERE MY MAST, I WOULD DISASSEMBLE AND INSPECT ALL SHROUDS. Possible to do so in the air, but your rigger probably will tell you to take the mast down to do it right.
thudbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 10:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudbranch View Post
I think, as several others have commented, that you mean a broken spreader bracket that holds spreader to the mast-- the area you pictured. I am wondering if the "snapped" refers to the slot between the large pin and the mast. Was that slot created by metal tearing out of the aluminum spreader from the forces on the spreader?
I believe that shiny, SS bit hanging down in the photo is what's left of the lower shroud which attaches at the base of the spreader but broke off. Since the spreaders are swept aft for the upper then there is likely only one lower instead of two.

From the photo it seems like the only way to remove the fitting is to remove the spreader, which requires slacking the upper shroud.

If in a very calm slip or on the hard I would consider doing this with the mast in by using a halyard to brace the mast to the side while slacking the upper. However as someone noted, if this one broke the others might not be far behind. I think this would be a good time to pull the mast and do a full inspection. Any idea how old the rods are in your rig?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 10:17   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

RTFQ everyone. As bsurvey says, looks like the spreader needs to come off. That pin with a ring probably has something to do with holding the spreader on. You don't need to pull the mast if you can remove the spreader in place. Personally use a Mast Climber from ATN but whatever works for you. The mast will easily handle hauling someone up to do the work.

Agree that this shroud failure is probably the 'canary in the mine' and you'd best check all the rest of the standing rigging and consider reheading the rod as a minimum. You can do that with the mast standing, one at a time would probably be safest but should be okay doing one on each side with halyards stabilizing the mast. I'm not brave enough to attempt the cap shrouds and stays at one time. Do the lowers first. You'll probably need at least one helper and possibly two to keep from kinking the rod. I did all my wire rigging except the headstay with furler extrusion by myself. Had a helper to lower and raise the headstay.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 10:23   #10

I appears you have the type of spreader that uses this internal fitting for the shroud attachment.(?) There is a pic in the attached catalog, but I couldnt find any reference to a model number etc. http://www.compass-course.com/_src/s...kcatalogue.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-s2.0-S1350630714002015-gr2.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	160540  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 10:38   #11

Boat: Valiant 42

Looks like the spreader has to come off. But the shroud is attached to the mast I would think. So to get access to that fitting for removal likely requires removal of the spreader.

I think you need a rigger.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 11:05   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

There will be a stemball cup in the spreader bar. Would be most sensible to hire a rigger and unstep mast at this point.
Old 14-12-2017, 16:02   #13

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAllDay View Post
Hi guys,

See the picture attached.Attachment 160511Attachment 160512
That spar looks more like a "SELDEN" product to me! That being the case, I can tell you (that) you'll need to remove the Spreader first before you can remove the Stay fitting.
Maybe this is a good time to remove the spar from the boat and inspect ALL standing rigging at this time after all, if one stay has broken, can the others be far behind for failure?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 16:27   #14

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

I also think you have a Selden rig unless its been replaced. I would go to the Hunter owners forum and you will get all the info you want from sailors with your identical boat. Good luck.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shroud