Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-07-2009, 06:54   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Originally Posted by sunnysandy View Post
Thank you sooo much for takinig the time to draw out the lines for me! It makes much more sense ans I will get a lighter line that I can cleat at the mast for each sail.
My pleasure

Do you have any experience with the swing Keel in the clipper. We couldn't let it down all the way to put the srew through the casing. The other problem we had was water seemed to slosh in from the keel casing when were going along quite fast!
No direct experience with this boat or swing keels in general. As general knowledge there is/was likely a seal near the top of the casing. The seal could be jammed down inside the casing somewhere fouling things.

I scared my daughters on the first sail and now they don't want to come again! We were heeling to much for their liking. Our gunwall was touching the water. Can a clipper 21' actually capsize or will the wind spill out first? Thanks so much! Sunnysandy
Not good to scare your guests or yourself.

A well behaved boat would spill the air and round up - head to wind - Peeking at your photos - the companionway config - I could see a lot of water getting in the cockpit. With the hatch off the concern is swamping the boat. This is what happens to J24s when they get out of control.

In general racing boats have larger jibs/gennies than mainsail. the power comes from the genny. You need to know how to get the power off.

With basic sail controls -
Genny cars back - twists genny
Mainsheet traveller down to low side - spills air
Vang - loosen but don't let boom get out of control - twists main
Backstay (if adjustable) hard on - opens leach

Shorting Sail -
Furl gennyto 100% or switch to jib
Mainsail reefing

I don't know the reefing and sail shorting setup on your boat or whether you are using a hanked on jib or whether you are using a genny.

Over time we have learned the settings for our boat in most conditions. When "pleasure" cruising we will opt to short sail first. We have a 150 genny on a furler and at ~15-20 knots we will furl in to 100% depending on crew weight (more crew - on the rail - means you can carry more sail). At 20 knots we will take a reef in the main. At 25kts we at 70% on the genny and in the rare 30 knots we have sailed with 2 reefs in the main.

The reason for alternating shorting the genny and the main is to keep the boat balanced so helm forces are not too high.

When racing with full crew we'll leave full sails up through 20 knots.

In this case someone is tending the genny sheets and the tillerman is tending the main. To depower quickly in the gusts we'll sheet out the main until it starts to flog if necessary. The genny makes the power on our boat but dropping the boom immediately rights the boat without losing too much power.

Our mainsheet traveller is only 2:1 and in those conditions it takes to hands to move the traveller. I plan to double the arrangement so that we can trim with traveller for racing. That's better for many reasons.

Here's a shot of my partner in a recent twilight race with shorted sails. Note he should have had the crew out of the cockpit on the rail for balance and forward for fore aft balance - But it was a twilight race and a "pleasure" crew.

Also a shot of some of our obstacles to racing - LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00063d.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	468.3 KB
ID:	8861   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00068[1].jpg
Views:	106
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	8862  

Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules