Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 06:16   #1

Boat: Tashing Baba 40
How terrible is it to run a mast cable not in a conduit?

I have spoken to two riggers now who are convinced that the only way to install my radar is to pull the mast so that they can put in a new conduit for the cable. Apparently, if I don't run it in a conduit, it will warp my soul, curve my spine, and lose the war for the allies.

But really, is it that bad? It's the B&G 4G radar, so its not a high-voltage cable, and it's only 20-ish feet up (just above the steaming light, not at the spreaders). If I put some foam pipe insulation or use the long zip-tie trick, is this going to be a horrible mistake?

thanks,
Dave.

www.sv-agnesrose.org
dstrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 06:20   #2

Boat: O'Day 302
Re: How terrible is it to run a mast cable not in a conduit?

Don't do it. Unless you don't mind the incessant slapping noise.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 06:21   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

If you can secure the cable tight at each end and drawn it snug enough and get lucky it won't make a ton of noise. It can sound like a church bell ringing when its rolly and your trying to sleep and the dinging of then cable against the mast reverbating thru the boat. . Some people will drill 2 small holes and snatch the wire and zip tie it in the middle. 20ft isn't so bad a run. Good luck

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 07:23   #4

Boat: Spray Replica

Dstaout,

I had the same information from riggers too. Being on a remote island in Malaysia at the time of the install meant that there was no way to drop the mast.

I installed our Raymarine Radar on our mizzen using the cable ties method two years ago and have not had a single issue. No slapping at all. No problem with the toping lift or halyard either. The hole for the cable to pass through were big enough to pass the cable terminations through so it was easy to roll long heavy duty cable ties into the holes. I put three ties about every 2' in a star (Mercedes) pattern and alternated their rotation.

The top exit hole has a rubber grommet to protect the cable and at the base I used a pvc bulkhead gland into a stainless swan neck.

The install was completed in less than 2 hours. It really was easy

I'll take a photo of the base tomorrow and post it for you.

Garry
Home Page
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 07:28   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
If you can secure the cable tight at each end and drawn it snug enough and get lucky it won't make a ton of noise. It can sound like a church bell ringing when its rolly and your trying to sleep and the dinging of then cable against the mast reverbating thru the boat. . Some people will drill 2 small holes and snatch the wire and zip tie it in the middle. 20ft isn't so bad a run. Good luck

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
It is never a good idea to pull an electrical cable tight and leave it that way. You might get by with attaching the electrical cable loosely to a steel cable and pulling the steel cable tight..
Old 22-10-2016, 07:43   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 409

I ran the radar cable thru the mast for my B&B 4G radar last weekend while the mast is off to get the boat ready for shipping.

I am unable to see if there is conduit all the way up my mast.

What is this "zip-tie method" that you guys are referring to?
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 07:53   #7

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Use a thin low stretch (Dyneema or other) line to take the tension.
Attach your cable than with extra-long cable ties to it and pull the combo through.
The cable ties hold the cable away from the mast tube if you use enough and not to thin ones in regular intervals.

Quieter & lighter than using steel cable for this.
Less abrasion too.

www.ladyrover.com
Old 22-10-2016, 08:08   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Hi! On our Tartan 27-2, the VHF cable and wiring were not in any type of restraint from the spreaders up. We could not sleep at all with the wires slapping around! I went with the zip-tie method, and it was worked out very well for three years now. I got long zip ties, set up in a tri-star, ala Mercedes Benz star mentioned previously, every 2 feet or so. I never liked the idea of drilling holes in a mast, especially several holes in a line!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 08:24   #9

How crowded is the internal of your mast as far as internal lines? That would be a key question I would think. It's nice to do things once and correctly. Are there any other mast things you could do if you take it down? New LED spreader lights? Inspect sheaves at the top for wear and being free spinning?
OTOH a few sets of holes drilled and tying the cable to the mast front thru the holes might be enough for a radar cable, is it a pretty hefty cable like the old ones or small and light?
Not sure how you would get foam pipe insulation in there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 08:42   #10

Boat: Island Packet 31

I ran mine not in conduit, using wire ties every six inches to keep it from bouncing around inside the mast. My halyards are run externally which may make a difference!
MikePz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 09:07   #11

Boat: 33 ft Morgan oi

What sobraon said
And then if you like, some time if you have to pull the mast move it then
carambo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 09:14   #12

Boat: Catalina 30

I ran cables up my mast for my ODAY 23. Cable tied together and put inside foam pipe insulation. Never made a noise. You will need to take into account the strain on the cable (s) due to hanging from one end. Secure the cable jacket to something that can take it and do not rely on the connection to the device to hold it in place.

Even if you like the sound/won't be there often, PEASE install it so it won't make any noise! Your dock mates will thank you!
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 10:15   #13

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Depending upon your backstay arrangement you might consider a ScanStrut mount with a gimbal. Think outside the box. Lots of options.
Old 22-10-2016, 10:16   #14

i have a friend that got tired of his wires slapping in his mast.. so he climbed to the top of mast.. and filled mast with packing peanuts.. which to me seems like a good idea because of a knock down you have a little extra floatation in the mast to help righting movement.. so he says
s.v_Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 11:20   #15

Boat: Irwin sloop

I've tried to think of a reason why foam peanuts are a bad idea,-----------I got nuthin.

The foam peanut solution has merit. But most trucks are welded to the masthead leaving little or no access to pour them in,neat idea though.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, rib