Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2015, 01:57   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
How long will the UV resistance of Sunbrella last?

If there is no abrasion or other physical damage to Sunbrella, how long will its UV resistance last? I had one sail maker claim it lasts only 5 or 6 years. Does anyone know?
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 02:38   #2

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: How long will the UV resistance of Sunbrella last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
If there is no abrasion or other physical damage to Sunbrella, how long will its UV resistance last? I had one sail maker claim it lasts only 5 or 6 years. Does anyone know?
My sail cover is 12 years old and the material is going strong. However it does need re stitching as the thread is not UV. The stuff is bullet proof
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 02:47   #3

UV resistance? What is the question here? How long does this material last in serviceable manner when exposed daily to UV from the sun? I am sure the company has run tests... Depending on the use... mechanical damage / wear might come sooner than UV damage... though they probably are synergistic.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 03:57   #4

My personal real-world experience, plus input from my canvas guy just this year indicates that LIGHT colors tend to degrade faster than darker colors. This may sound counter intuitive to many, but it IS true.

I've been getting 8-10 years from lighter colors (like our pearl dodger), and 15+++ years from the standard Pacific blue mainsail cover and other uses around the boat.

As always, keeping it clean and waterproofed will extend the life.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 03:58   #5

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
My sail cover is 12 years old and the material is going strong. However it does need re stitching as the thread is not UV. The stuff is bullet proof
Ditto. We have an equally old bimini going strong which I restiched with UV proof thread.

http://amzn.to/1ZNEP38

I was told that the UV resistance would last the normal lifespan of the cloh in use, basically meaning that the actual cloth willwear out first.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 04:29   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive got sunbrella aboard that is 10-15 years old and still in serviceable condition. The bits that are 15 years (like my stack pack) are near the end of their service life though.

Water resistance goes much sooner, but there are products you can use to restore that.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 05:34   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

One can extend the life of Sunbrella, and restore the water-proof properties, by the use of (click on) 303 Fabric Guard. Absent protection, light colored Sunbrella will fail with 5-6 years as was our experience with our white and blue striped Bimini top. These days we treat it with 303 and fold it up and cover it with a Navy Blue "Boot" cover when it is not needed to assure greater longevity.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 05:43   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
One can extend the life of Sunbrella, and restore the water-proof properties, by the use of (click on) 303 Fabric Guard. ...
+1. Great product. Restored water resistance to my leaking like sieve bimini. Now we retreat each season.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 05:47   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

???

I have some 12 years + old Sunbrella canvas and they look new. 12+ years in full tropical and sub-tropical wx full time.

It seems to last for ever.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 07:12   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mmm . . . . North sails did some tests . . . . Structurally sunbrella will last a long time . . . . BUT after 3 years it no longer blocks uv and allows much of it thru (less than 50% blocked after 3 years) to damage the sail it is suppose to protect.

North recommends you have a light taffeta sewn into the underside of a sunbrella sail cover to block the uv.

I always did that (made my own sail covers) and it does not add much weight or bulk or material cost (dies add some labor).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 07:42   #11

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi, on a side note, has anyone an idea. how well the stuff lasts, which they use to make covers for commercial trucks (most European 38t trucks have them)?

It's bound to last and must be reasonably priced as it is used in huge quantities.

Plus it's watertight.

Thinking of having a stackpack made from it (with a mesh for aeration on the lower end).

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 18-10-2015, 07:54   #12

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

The Sunbrella on my boat made about 10 years in the tropics before it was toast. The UV had made the fabric very weak. You could easily tear it with your hands.

10 years of full tropics is a darn long time though.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 08:27   #13

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

My hunter green sail covers have spent 10 years in the Central Florida sun and are now starting to show their age. The canvas maker used white uv thread which was a mistake. He should have used black which holds up better.

I'm going to give the 303 fabric guard a try and see if I can get a couple more years before I replace.

There is a alternative to Sunbrella on the market called Sur Last made by Glen Raven Inc. My friend is a marine upholstered and he said it lasts as good or better and is about 30% lower cost. Since the material is about half the cost of the finished covers I think it is worth checking into.

Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 09:02   #14

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Everyone keeps mentioning thread, but I haven't heard anyone mention Tenara yet. All my new covers are sewn with Tenara thread made by Gore (the Gortex people). They gaurantee the thread will outlast the fabic is sewn to. Its not made of natural fibers, but Teflon. Really good stuff, but kinda hard to sew with.

If you are thinking of getting anything new made, I would insist on Tenara thread.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 09:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi, on a side note, has anyone an idea. how well the stuff lasts, which they use to make covers for commercial trucks (most European 38t trucks have them)?

It's bound to last and must be reasonably priced as it is used in huge quantities.

Plus it's watertight.

Thinking of having a stackpack made from it (with a mesh for aeration on the lower end).

Thanks for your thoughts.
I am curious about that too. Had a quote to have a bimini made from the stuff and the guy swears by it. Anybody have any knowledge on this?
floottooter is offline   Reply With Quote