Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2015, 06:56   #31

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: How long will the UV resistance of Sunbrella last?

Another options for those looking for something cheaper. Search Ebay for "Marine One Fabric".

Although I haven't had it very long, but everything on my boat was made with it. Since the price was less than 1/2 of Sunbrella, I decided to take the risk on it. I spoke with another Cruiser who has been in the Caribbean with it for 4 years. She reported it was going strong and still looked new on her Bimini.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 07:10   #32

you will get 10 years out of blue sunbrella, the stitching rods out before the material breaks down
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 07:25   #33

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
If there is no abrasion or other physical damage to Sunbrella, how long will its UV resistance last? I had one sail maker claim it lasts only 5 or 6 years. Does anyone know?
10 plus years. The stitching and leather fail first. This gives you a visible failure mode.

5 to 6 years would be. Minimum life in our experience.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 11:21   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Virginia-
I think "neoprene thread" is a sign of memory failure. Someone confused "the same thread they sew neoprene with" (which could be plain polyester or nylon) with "neoprene thread" and there's no thread, AFAIK, that is made of neoprene.

An issue in the sailing, tentmaking, canvas industries is that if your thread is not matched to your fabric, the thread can actually saw through the fabric and cut it apart. There's no easy repair for that. But if you choose a weaker thread, when it fails you can literally sew through the same old holes--right on the dotted line--to replace failed thread. Traditionally the best choice was "dacot" dacron thread with a polyester wrapping, two materials in thread. The dacron core provided strength, the polyester wrapping softened the chafing and cutting against the fabric.
The new (10-15 years?) GoreTex stuff is supposed to have similar benefits, being very durable but not sawing up the fabric.
Proper tension on the thread also is going to affect that, another reason that a loft or shop using cheap labor may or may not provide the same results, even if they are using the same materials and the end product looks the same to the eye.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 00:16   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I guess we are of the who cares what it looks like camp. Our bimini is 15 years old and dark blue so in the summer and lower latitudes was quite warm in the cockpit. So we painted it with white elastic roofing paint. It really cut the heat as we went south to Colombia and across the Carib and in the Greek islands a couple of German cruisers noted it and told us how smart we were to be able to cut the heat. It also reinforced it and made it water proof. We just reapplied a coat as it was beginning to wear a bit. Hope we can get another 5 years out of it.
But works great but if you want a pretty boat is it ok only. We care more about being dry and a bit more comfortable than having a pretty boat.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 20:30   #36

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Mmm . . . . North sails did some tests . . . . Structurally sunbrella will last a long time . . . . BUT after 3 years it no longer blocks uv and allows much of it thru (less than 50% blocked after 3 years) to damage the sail it is suppose to protect.

North recommends you have a light taffeta sewn into the underside of a sunbrella sail cover to block the uv.

I always did that (made my own sail covers) and it does not add much weight or bulk or material cost (dies add some labor).
only 3 years for UV block???????.....say what???????????? holy $%@#
Old 10-01-2016, 03:25   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Ok so long will Weathermax 80 block UV? Any research on that material?
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:39   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

No doubt genuine silk taffeta while you're at it?

I can't see that working any better than an extra layer of any tightly woven cloth...but I suspect an annual spray with 303 or a similar UV and waterproofing spray would provide more protection with less cost (fabric, sewing, weight,etc.) than a magic lining.

Or maybe I should start buying taffets shirts to give me UV protection outdoors?(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 18:03   #39

Boat: Union Polaris 36' Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
My hunter green sail covers have spent 10 years in the Central Florida sun and are now starting to show their age. The canvas maker used white uv thread which was a mistake. He should have used black which holds up better.

I'm going to give the 303 fabric guard a try and see if I can get a couple more years before I replace.

There is a alternative to Sunbrella on the market called Sur Last made by Glen Raven Inc. My friend is a marine upholstered and he said it lasts as good or better and is about 30% lower cost. Since the material is about half the cost of the finished covers I think it is worth checking into.

Jeff
That’s the company who makes sunbrella
SV Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 18:16   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
If there is no abrasion or other physical damage to Sunbrella, how long will its UV resistance last? I had one sail maker claim it lasts only 5 or 6 years. Does anyone know?
Untreated 8 years treated with 303 every 2 years it will last 15+ years
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 23:08   #41
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I prefer Docril G over Sunbrella. Better UV resistance
Old 21-11-2022, 17:28   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Just last year my sunbrella bimini frabric finally failed. It was installed in 2004. Spent its entire life in Tropical sun. It was reasonably well maintained, but nothing special. Covered by shade awnings during off season storage. For about the past 5 years it was treated with 303 (great stuff!) seasonally. The 303 treatment helped to nurse a few more years out of it.

Some maintenance repairs along the way, but nothing extensive.

About 17 years service life...cant complain about that!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 04:10   #43
CLOD

Boat: none

My navy blue dodger, bimini, sail cover are 21 years old and seen ok. The sail cover has had a lot of repairs to the seams and sow edges, but the sunbella itself seems ok.
Old 22-11-2022, 13:03   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@sailorboy1:

Does yours have the taffeta liner or not?

Ann
Old 22-11-2022, 13:40   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@sailorboy1:

Does yours have the taffeta liner or not?

Ann
no, no liner just sunbella

I have treated it a few times with the 302