Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 19:45   #1

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra
HOW do you install a "standup" deck block

I have a PVC type standup boot intended to hold a block vertical off the deck. The boot itself is held to the block by a shackle which in turn is attached to a padeye.

But attaching the shackle with the boot in place is near impossible leading me to think there is a secret or magic process. Or you have three very strong hands!

Does anybody have any suggestions?

You can see a harken boot at "http://www.harken.com/productdetail.aspx?id=14433&taxid=376"

Thanks
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 19:49   #2

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra
Re: HOW do you install a "standup" deck block

Silly me

I found this on the Harken web site:

Springs & Boots
Should I use a stand-up spring or boot?
Both stand-up springs and boots are used to keep blocks from hitting the deck. Stand-up springs are stronger and stiffer than boots, but boots can be used in a number of situations. For example: If the line might foul in a stand-up spring's rings, you can substitute a boot.

What is the simplest way to install a stand-up spring or PVC stand-up boot?
Take two zip ties and loop them through each side of the spring (or PVC boot). Pull the zip ties taut until the spring (boot) compresses. Now you can easily attach the block to the eyestrap, padeye, etc. After you attach the block, cut the zip ties and the spring will pop back into place.

Boot Installation Tip: Instead of wrestling the block onto a stiff piece of PVC, soften the boot with a hair dryer (don't burn it), or soak it in warm water. This makes the boot much more pliable and easier to manipulate. When the boot cools, its shape returns to normal.
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck