Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2012, 08:10   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Holland Self Steering

Anybody use this partial DIY sevo pendulum wind vane? It looks excellent, and I would rather take 100 hours and assemble than buy a monitor! At least I would know how to repair it! And it seem fully adjustable.
HOLLAND WINDVANE Windvane self steering – The high performance stainless steel windvane self steering system. The strong construction jet sensitive mechanism is made of commercially available materials and perfect for the self supporting long distanc
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 08:19   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Holland self steering

Sure looks like a good unit!! Ive added the site to my puter! It might just work on our new boat ! Thanks
Old 19-08-2012, 08:41   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Yes, just like a car. Made out of commercially available materials.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 09:01   #4

All I can seem to get from the link is a couple of photos and a title. No tech info or contact info. What am I doing wrong , or is that all there is?_____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 09:26   #5

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
All I can seem to get from the link is a couple of photos and a title. No tech info or contact info. What am I doing wrong , or is that all there is?_____Grant.
Left Click the British Flag
Old 19-08-2012, 09:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Does anyone out there have one or have seen one operate? I just need some first hand experience before I put down a boat buck.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 09:45   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Browse and there are more images and references too. It is a home built unit that has been developed over many years so you will see many executions.

Have never seen one on any boat though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 09:52   #8

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

A windvane selfsteering system that can't operate as an emergency rudder seems kind of pointless.It should be totally independent of main steering.Have you checked out any trimtab designs?Some are quite easy to build with minimal welding,basic materials.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 11:00   #9

David, Thanks for the tech help. Yes that is a good web site. Looking thru the SELF STEERING UNDER SAIL book, it seems most like a Wind Pilot Pacific. The book mentions a little about the Bouvaan but not much. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 11:50   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The wheel pilot adapter is rediculously cheap compared to what Scanmar wants for the Monitor one. Seems like a doable project for anyone with the time and a few skills. The problem with selfsteering vanes is the cost. Probably about the same as a good autopilot capable of doing the same job but still way more than a budget cruiser can afford. A full up Monitor could represent 1/4 of the cost of a small cruising boats expense.

Now let's see, a windvane that steers the boat 24/7, with the greatest effectiveness without complaint is pointless. Pendulum servo vanes are the most powerful, sensitive, and capable wind vane design. They do require the boats rudder to be functioning but so do auto pilots and most other self steering concepts. Auxillary rudder system can function as an emergency rudder but they aren't as sensitive and/or as powerful as the PS designs. The auxillary rudder systems also restrict maneuverability when they aren't in use. If an Auxillary rudder system hooks up on something solid/massive or a mount fails, they will tear themselves out of the stern, btdt and it leaves a nasty holes.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 12:29   #11

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

I am in total support of windvane systems as a first choice for sailing.Many auxillary rudder systems have been sailed across oceans succesfully,even homemade ones.I have first hand experience sailing a trim tab system,and repairing it at sea.Sailing through the Pacific garbage patch caught abandoned ball of driftnet around the stainless transom hung ruddershaft,bent it back about 30 degrees(2in. ss pipe).Removed from bracket on transom, restraightned on deck,continued on for another 1000 miles,and it still worked.Seems like a nice option as seperate system from main.Full length keel don't back up anyway!
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 12:34   #12

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

This vane looks very nice.
Same operating principle as my Fleming
BTW my Fleming vane was half the price of a Monitor when I bought it in 2005, much stronger construction and simpler mechanism,
I agree servo pendulum self steering is absoultely the best...powerful, quiet, no electricity needed...Mr Fleming is the main helmsman for us.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 15:10   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
A windvane selfsteering system that can't operate as an emergency rudder seems kind of pointless.It should be totally independent of main steering.Have you checked out any trimtab designs?Some are quite easy to build with minimal welding,basic materials.
I will disagree.

IMHO Best windvanes are servo-pendulums driving the main rudder via a tiller: Monitor, Windpilot or Navik - simple and reliable. I know that both Monitor and Windpilot can drive via the wheel too.

If you are concerned with a need for emergency rudder, maybe it is the time to rebuilt the rudder rather than to buy a 'convertible' windvane!

The independent systems are fantastic when the cockpit is central or when the wheel is hydraulic, etc.. They will keep the cockpit clean of control lines and such likes. But remember if you are in the center cockpit and the windvane is an independent system hanging behind the stern, it is a long way aft to disengage it, then quick run back to the cockpit to regain the control of the boat ...

Errrr, so I stand corrected and now I think each windvane system has some pros and some cons.

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 15:43   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Theres pros and cons to most anything !! we sailed so many miles with a wind vane "moniter" that it's all most to much to think about !! it sure made our lives better !! made watchs better and less tireing, made it easier for even the kids to stand a day watch !!any good wind vane system is worth its weight in gold as far as we are concerned!! or new to us boat has everything BUT a wind vane and we are sure looking for one we feel will work and fit !! just our 2 cents
Old 19-08-2012, 16:07   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I just tried to look at the Sailomat website but it won't load. Are they still around?? sailomat.com

Have a Sailomat 601 with an emergency rudder. The emergency rudder fits over the servo rudder and is stablized or steered by lines. Never installed it so not sure how it's supposed to work. See that Monitor also has a similar system. Will these emergency rudders actually work or are they just to meet the requirements of the Single Handed Races??

A full keel boat with an auxillary rudder vane is damn hard to steer going forward, not just in reverse. Fought with mine for years getting into the slip, sometimes without success. Finally figured out to run lines to the Wind Vane portion and use those to give input to the steering rudder. If I want to to turn to port, pull on the port line. Has pretty much cured my boats tendency to only go straight with the Aux. vane disengaged. Still doesn't do any good with little or no way on as the aux rudder negates any possibility of maneuvering with prop torque.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Holland, self steering, steering