Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 19:27   #76

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL
Re: Hoisting Flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
No mark in general that's wrong. You fly the maritime ensign of the country as it's courtesy flag.
For example in the Uk the maritime ending is a red flag with the union flag in the corner commonly known as the red duster. That's what you fly as a courtesy flag. It is illegal for commercial and leisure vessels to ever display the union flag

Note the " union flag " not the union jack is the correct term. A union jack is a union flag flown From a jack staff on Her Majesty ships of war ( and some others).

Ensigns are worn of course not flown

I remain steadfast that I fly the courtesy flag on entering territorial waters , irrespective of what I do with the " Q" flag.

In Australia only Australian Registered Ships (aka Yachts) are allowed to ware the Red Ensign although we have the choice of that or the national blue flag. All the boats i know that have the required registration fly the red ensign. I have seen many cruises that come in from the pacific are flying our red ensign as a courtesy flag this is totally incorrecty it must be the Aust. national blue flag, it seems that a flag maker in the pacific has got it wrong and selling the travellers the wrong flag.
Its a pity that you cant fly the US ensign as I think it is a good looking flag and would compliment any US boat travelling the world. Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:51   #77
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Its a pity that you cant fly the US ensign as I think it is a good looking flag and would compliment any US boat travelling the world. Jacko
They've missed off a few states on the US Ensign.
I quite like the normal US flag. Its pretty recognisable. And it means something to them and to the rest of the world. to them, it is inclusive of all their states as the USA is a federation(? whatever, you know what I mean) of states. Similar to Australia being a federation of states and each has its own little prick on the star.

The reason why Aussies don't fly our red ensign is its not our flag. Its not the one we know and love. It might be the one some old sailors prefer because its different, but to me being Australian is more importnat than having some sailing heritage.

I'm an Aussie, true-blue. And I prefer the Americans to be Americans and proud of it and fly their 'real' flag (maybe not so big!). So too I think the Europeans are amiss with their bevvy of different flags: EU, EU with national flag in corner, or national flag. Thats one mob facing an identity crisis! Though from what I hear they should just run up the Indian flag and get over it

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:00   #78

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

How have any states been pissed off by the U.S. Ensign?
50 stars=50 States

U.S. Yacht Ensign still had the 13 Stars representing the founding of rgw original 13 colonies broke away from Great Britain..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:34   #79

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Send a message via Skype™ to Eric50

As Jacko and as per the oficial books about the matter we are entitled to have onboard in France, here is what we are said to do:

You must have the courtesy flag at starboard as soon as you enter the country waters.

The meaning of it is (still as per the official documentation about flags and ensign, mandatory onboard) that "you acknowledge the country's authority and will always comply with their regulation and rules".

The "Quebec" flag has to be on portside, at your first arrival in the country you newly entered, until you have custom cleared the boat, and only then you can remove it.

You are also not supposed to disembark or go onshore while the "Q" is still up, normally.

So i understand the "Q" signal as a "call for custom and temporrary quarantine of the boat until formalities have been done".

In Europe, EEC countries and Shengen countries area, we do not need to have the "Q" at our first entrance generally (meaning for boats from EEC countries) but still there are some exceptions, as in the channel island for instance.

On the opposite of what I thought, it seems that codes and practices are not the same everywhere obviously, thanks to the forum for this clarification.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:50   #80
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric50 View Post
On the opposite of what I thought, it seems that codes and practices are not the same everywhere obviously, thanks to the forum for this clarification.
Q Flag on the starboard halyard below the courtesy flag. Never seen one on the Port side. Ever. Except us on our first entry and we were told by another cruiser to put it to starboard.

Only 2 places in the world where we've had to stay on the boat and not go ashore and clear in ourselves: Galapago and Indonesia.

Mark

Old 04-06-2011, 06:40   #81

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Send a message via Skype™ to Eric50

MarkJ,

I agree that the restriction to not go onshore, while having the "Q" up, is barely on application with leisure boat most of the time.

For the "Q", you may never saw it on portside, but in Europe (France and Belgium for example) they are on portside.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:52   #82

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Q Flag on the starboard halyard below the courtesy flag. Never seen one on the Port side. Ever. Except us on our first entry and we were told by another cruiser to put it to starboard.

Only 2 places in the world where we've had to stay on the boat and not go ashore and clear in ourselves: Galapago and Indonesia.

Mark
Ahhh, Mark me lad,

Wait until you return to your native shores. These days they get VERY cross if you leave the boat before both Customs and AQIS have wrot their ways upon you (including paying the rapacious inspection fee). Very cross indeed... you'll see!

Unless of course you should enter Oz at Ashmore reef from an Indonesian fishing vessel. Then they give you free room and board for a long time!

Cheers,

JIm
Old 04-06-2011, 10:35   #83

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I just got a phone call from one of the moderators for this site that they have a Crusing Forum burgee for our catamaran, I'll pick it up this afternoon.

So which side of the mast do I fly it ?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:44   #84
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Wait until you return to your native shores. These days they get VERY cross if you leave the boat before both Customs and AQIS have wrot their ways upon you (including paying the rapacious inspection fee). Very cross indeed... you'll see!

JIm
Ummm, let me remember, Australia. Cleared in at Neutral Bay, Sydney, tied up to their dock, jumped off and wandered about till be found a startled offical who rang the airport and 3 hours later arrived with dog with 'lil soft shoes on so he wouldnt scratch the boat. I didn't mean one can wander up to the pub for lunch and a few beers before clearing in. (but that does sound like a good idea!)

So it was still ashore we cleared in. Thats the bit I was saying, as opposed to sitting at anchor and hoping some clown has seen your yellow flag and then paddles out in his canoe (et al)

In Indonesia it was a joyous day for the officials when we arrived in Tual. Look closely at the photo below and see how the folks who crammed the Customs boat are going ballistic. There was about 20 people on the boat and they all wanted to get on ours! They were lucky not to turn it over... Its was a big thumbs up from all of them. Extroadinary!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1014061.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	28070  

Old 04-06-2011, 10:48   #85
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
So which side of the mast do I fly it ?
Port

Old 04-06-2011, 11:15   #86

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Ummm, let me remember, Australia. Cleared in at Neutral Bay, Sydney, tied up to their dock, jumped off and wandered about till be found a startled offical who rang the airport and 3 hours later arrived with dog with 'lil soft shoes on so he wouldnt scratch the boat. I didn't mean one can wander up to the pub for lunch and a few beers before clearing in. (but that does sound like a good idea!)

So it was still ashore we cleared in. Thats the bit I was saying, as opposed to sitting at anchor and hoping some clown has seen your yellow flag and then paddles out in his canoe (et al)

In Indonesia it was a joyous day for the officials when we arrived in Tual. Look closely at the photo below and see how the folks who crammed the Customs boat are going ballistic. There was about 20 people on the boat and they all wanted to get on ours! They were lucky not to turn it over... Its was a big thumbs up from all of them. Extroadinary!
Mark, in the last few years we've cleared in Bundy, Gladstone and Morton Bay (Scarborough then, now at Rivergate in the Brissy river). In all of these entry ports they require one to tie up at a designated Customs dock which sports a big fence and locked gate to keep one from venturing ashore. (All of this after giving them written notice of your arrival at least 96 hours ahead) Anchoring with a yellow flag flying would likely not impress them much.

I much prefer the less formal approach as shown in your fine example.

Incidentlally, some cruising friends of ours had a neat practice: They would always take Polaroid photos of officials that boarded them. These would be placed in an album which they would then show to the next group of officials. It always brought a reduction in tension, big smiles, and a generally better attitude on the part of the officials. Wish we had thought of it years ago.

So, what has your experience (as an Aussie, which must be a rare breed down there) been in the Caribe?

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-06-2011, 11:35   #87
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
They would always take Polaroid photos of officials that boarded them. These would be placed in an album which they would then show to the next group of officials.
In Australia there's actually a law saying you can't take photos and videos of police executing their duties! So it would be good to ask the guys first, maybe at the end of their session.

But, yes, I think its an excellent idea!!

Quote:
So, what has your experience (as an Aussie, which must be a rare breed down there) been in the Caribe?

Cheers,

Jim
ALL other Aussies here in Grenada, St Martin, and the BVI's are/were ALL running their newly bought boats back to Australia to try and sell them.

They are mostly nice people, but they are all doing the same thing so it gets a bit tedious.

One of the things that makes it tedious is the secrecy surrounding their little venture. You have to do the 64 questions to be able to say hello. They treat you as competition etc. After the "Its NOT an ex-Moorings boat, I just happened to find a boom cover with the Moorings logo ripped off...." then people settle down and mainly become more friendly.

The few Aussies that are long term cruisers, and not trying to flog their boats, are great All doing well. Everyone bumping into each other from Turkey last year, or Canaries last November etc.
By the time folks have cruised from Australia to here they are pretty cool and calm about it all and are just enjoying it. All the hard cruising has been done and the Caribbean is like a vacation: Cruising for kittens.

Personally, I am enjoying Grenada very much. I find the locals to be the happiest people encountered thus far in the Caribbean, good looking, hard working, non-racist, non-conniving, non-cheating. I haven't been given the Black Man to White Man glare at all here.
The secenery and countryside are spectacular and cheap to tour and travel.
With both the land, cruising, and the people combining to make it a really lovely sojourn.

Mark

Tags
flags