Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2011, 12:46   #61

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Re: Hoisting Flags

I didn't read all the posts... however to be " correct " on this... the q flag and country flag are required to go on the starboard side... you can just fly the q clear in drop the q and raise the country flag you are visiting or hoist both.. the Q flag should go above the country flag until cleared in. The port flag halyard is for the flags of the guests on your boat. Your boats registration country flag should fly off the aft of the boat.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 13:55   #62

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Per Chapman: "It [the courtesy flag of another nation] is normally not hoisted until clearance has been completed and the yellow 'Q' flag has been removed." I interpret this to mean the "Q" flag and the courtesy flag shouldn't be displayed simultaneously.

We seem to have conflicting advice posted here.
Old 19-05-2011, 14:15   #63

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The US Power Squadron gives differing instruction/advice: "The customs observed in various foreign waters differ from one another. Try to learn the correct procedure for the country you are entering. For example, is some countries it is customary to fly the courtesy flag only after the quarantine flag (the yellow 'Q' flag) and the vessel has been granted pratique by the appropriate authorities."
Old 19-05-2011, 14:30   #64

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Don't know if it has been mentioned but the US Yacht Ensign is only for the US. You need a regular American flag for other countries.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 15:33   #65
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
The courtesy flag should not be the ensign of that country but their standard flag. Ensigns are for registered vessels of that country.
No mark in general that's wrong. You fly the maritime ensign of the country as it's courtesy flag.

For example in the Uk the maritime ending is a red flag with the union flag in the corner commonly known as the red duster. That's what you fly as a courtesy flag. It is illegal for commercial and leisure vessels to ever display the union flag

Note the " union flag " not the union jack is the correct term. A union jack is a union flag flown From a jack staff on Her Majesty ships of war ( and some others).

Ensigns are worn of course not flown

I remain steadfast that I fly the courtesy flag on entering territorial waters , irrespective of what I do with the " Q" flag.

Dave
Old 19-05-2011, 16:12   #66

Boat: Little Harbor 38
The US ensign is the red and white striped with the fouled anchor. This flag is not supposed to be flown on documented boats in international water. You are supposed to fly the 50 star US Ensign as the "fooled anchor" is not a national flag.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 16:39   #67

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Per Chapman: "It [the courtesy flag of another nation] is normally not hoisted until clearance has been completed and the yellow 'Q' flag has been removed." I interpret this to mean the "Q" flag and the courtesy flag shouldn't be displayed simultaneously.

We seem to have conflicting advice posted here.
I'm in agreement with Mark here. The courtesy flag indicates the country in which you have now "cleared", legally. Until you clear in, you are there, but you have not yet been given permission to stay... (Which the flag indicates). I fly the "Q" flag until cleared in, and afterward, I lower it and raise the countries' courtesy flag. This is as I have been instructed officially several times, and I have NEVER been told that I should've entered their waters with BOTH the "Q" flag AND the courtesy flag up at the same time, before clearing in...

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 17:16   #68

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
What a great idea. I can whip off my yellow bikini top, send it up the halyard, and I bet I won't be left waiting to be checked out--opps, I mean checked in.

You can clear in at my port anytime.
Old 20-05-2011, 17:35   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hoisting Flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
I'm in agreement with Mark here. The courtesy flag indicates the country in which you have now "cleared", legally. Until you clear in, you are there, but you have not yet been given permission to stay... (Which the flag indicates). I fly the "Q" flag until cleared in, and afterward, I lower it and raise the countries' courtesy flag. This is as I have been instructed officially several times, and I have NEVER been told that I should've entered their waters with BOTH the "Q" flag AND the courtesy flag up at the same time, before clearing in...

Mark
Example.... I'm doing a delivery UK to Turkey... I pass through French, Spanish, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Greek and Turkish waters...
As soon as I enter a countries coastal waters I raise the 'COURTESY' flag.... when I've passed into another countries waters I lower the former and raise the appropriate countrys flag....
However... should I then decide to make a stop in one off the aforementioned countries I will tag on a Q flag underneath as I approach the port...
Seems only polite to fly their flag as I'm in their waters... whether I'm stopping or not... But thats just me...
Don't need to be told what to do... just do whats 'Polite'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:56   #70

Boat: Stevens Custom 40

Not exactly on point here, but for cruising two halyards makes sense, if only for the Q and the courtesy flag, and I like just tying stuff on with bowlines - nothing fancy and nothing gets undone. What I am curious about though, are other flags, like a private signal, SSCA and CF flags while cruising - are they used much? Flags Aboard and the Seattle Flagmaker
Attached Images

https://blog.peregrinesea.com
PeregrineSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:51   #71

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Safari

The US Ensign has 50 stars,

The YACHT Ensign has the fouled anchor
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 15:47   #72

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineSea View Post
Not exactly on point here, but for cruising two halyards makes sense, if only for the Q and the courtesy flag, and I like just tying stuff on with bowlines - nothing fancy and nothing gets undone. What I am curious about though, are other flags, like a private signal, SSCA and CF flags while cruising - are they used much? Flags Aboard and the Seattle Flagmaker
G'Day Tim,

Can't answer in general, but what we've done is to hoist the extraneous flags (SSCA, personal, etc) on the same halyard as the courtesy flag, but below it.

But, as the years and miles have added up, we find that we do so less and less. Just doesn't seem important any more. We do dress ship for the national holidays of whatever country we are in, or other important occasions. We try to be courteous visitors and to respect local yachting customs (if any) when possible, but find that advertising our membership in organizations or other personal stuff not right for us these days.

We often see other yachts with strings of flags festooning the rigging, usually including a pirate flag. They are seldom long term cruisers.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-06-2011, 18:30   #73
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
but find that advertising our membership in organizations or other personal stuff not right for us these days.

Jim
And they fray quickly.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 18:42   #74

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams
Safari

The US Ensign has 50 stars,

The YACHT Ensign has the fouled anchor
That's the word I was looking for!