Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2014, 16:26   #1

Help With Sleeving A Broken 28' Mast

Hey guys, about a week ago I purchased my first sailboat a 1975 Ventura 23'. A few days later the mast got into a fight with an electric line and lost. The mast was snapped in half right at the spreaders and also has a slight bend right at the break.

Can you sleeve a mast at the spreaders? What part of the mast has the most pressure against it? My plan is to bend the mast back (with a hydralic car jack or some other method) and buy a few feet of the DM-6 from dwyer. Compress the DM-6 to fit inside the old mast then rivet it together.

I'm looking for any and all guidance or advice, I don't know much about sailboats. How does my plan sound?

Mast Dimensions: The mast is 28' long with a 3" x 4" base shaped like a tear drop (similar to the DM-6). The boom attaches about 2' 3" up the mast and the spreaders attach at about 17.5'. The spreaders are both 3' long.

Thanks!
campbmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 16:36   #2

Boat: hunter 376
Re: Help With Sleeving A Broken 28' Mast

it may be easier, and not much more expensive to replace the mast with a good used one. Is that your boat in the background pictures? If so its a beaut.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 17:10   #3

Yup thats my boat! Thanks! I've tried searching all over for a replacement mast but have yet to find one that has the same dimensions as mine.
Old 13-03-2014, 17:36   #4

item no 261413349540 on ebay, $400, S. Dakota is only 26'10" but it was just the first one I found after 2 minutes looking, comes rigged.
If other work needs doing on your boat maybe do that while looking for another mast?
New DM-6 $26.40 = $739.20 if my sums are right. Worth it just for the peace of mind I think.
I can do most things but wouldn't even consider repairing that mast except as a get-me-home jury rig, sorry.
Good luck whatever you do.
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 17:43   #5

The new DM-6 would run me about $1500 or so with shipping to Texas.

I thought I had to have a mast that was the exact same length as mine or taller and cut it down. I've been looking for a mast that has the same dimensions as the DM-6 at 28'. I've found a 28' with all of the rigging but a different mast foot and slug channel. If I bolt the mast foot onto my boat how do I know the shrouds will work with my boat?
Old 13-03-2014, 17:59   #6

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"

If it were me I'd call up yacht salvage and see what they can have. In NJ they are scrapping all the boats starting the 19th and there are masts all over the place there.

Then I'd cut up the broken one and recycle it for cash.
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 18:06   #7

No possibility of an insurance claim? Even some home insurance policies might cover for accidental damage to a small boat if it happened on your property. I'm just guessing it was damaged on your property of course.
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 18:39   #8

No insurance unfortunately. I'll call the new jersey place tomorrow but I think with shipping it will probably still be above my $500.
Old 22-03-2014, 17:10   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbmic View Post
Yup thats my boat! Thanks! I've tried searching all over for a replacement mast but have yet to find one that has the same dimensions as mine.
Try Torresen Marine in Muskegon, Michigan. There are racks full of old used sticks. They sometimes have sleeve sections too but that small of a mast probably should just get replaced. Especially with the double whoopsie I see.

You might try gulf coast marinas too. Lots of salvage to be found from hurricanes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1540.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	77977   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1539.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	77978  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 20:05   #10

Boat: 1981 Irwin 37

From what I have experienced the bend is the problem, splicing a straight mast with a clean break would be possible but the bend would make it very difficult. Plus you normally have to shorten a mast a few inches to splice it. In this case you would have to cut the bend out, several feet from the looks of it. The rigging is going to be in question now as it was put under a lot of stress. Better to get a good used mast, cut if needed and look into new rigging. A new mast step can be made if you can not find the same extrusion as you had before. Boom attachment may need to be modified.
irwin37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast