Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2016, 21:57   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Is DYS a reinforced dacron, or a proper laminated Cloth?

BTW,among laminates, main difference is whether the exotic fibers are individually laid out, or simply intertwined...


Style: DYS® 38 Plus, 2,0 mil, Weight: 11,7 oz

DYS®
DIMENSION-POLYANT developed with the styles of the DYS® Offshore Technology a range of Ultra-PE sandwich laminates exhibiting easy handling and excellent durability. The Ultra-PE base is encapsulated by film on which a taffeta is laminated.
This rugged laminate line has proven its value in performance cruising sails. DYS®X range is the 4th generation of this performance laminate line. Specially developed finishing techniques minimize the chance of mildew growth.

Features of DYS®
- High Tenacity, High Modules fibres – Polyester and Ultra-PE
- Tight Weave
- Double sided UVM® coating

Productinfo (PDF Document 695 KB)
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 15:12   #32
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,563
Images: 14
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32 View Post
So Dimension-Polyant Lite Skin might be the best way to go for everything but storm sails, and those are probably best made from Marblehead.
DP Lite Skin is a racing sail cloth, why would you recommend this for a cruising sail?

Pete
__________________

__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 19:48   #33
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: US/MX West coast
Posts: 465
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

One thing to keep in mind as a generality.... The benefits of high tech cloth are more apparent in the larger boats. It's much harder to justify an exotic cloth on a 33'er whereas on larger boats Dacron simply isn't practical because it gets ridiculously heavy. Hoisting an 11 or 12oz main with a twin ply leech and full battens is no fun. I've turned down projects where someone wanted Dacron and I knew it was just a bad idea.
__________________
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 02:15   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: the Med
Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Posts: 1,066
Images: 3
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandplanet View Post
One thing to keep in mind as a generality.... The benefits of high tech cloth are more apparent in the larger boats. It's much harder to justify an exotic cloth on a 33'er whereas on larger boats Dacron simply isn't practical because it gets ridiculously heavy. Hoisting an 11 or 12oz main with a twin ply leech and full battens is no fun. I've turned down projects where someone wanted Dacron and I knew it was just a bad idea.
totally agree
On nauta54 main is (guess) in the range of 60# for say 650sqft... a pita for 2 persons.

Indeed, for that very reason, and since it'd be less prone to stress (full batten) and plyes.... I plan for: exotic laminated main, and fractional dacron headsails (cutter).

Only for a light Genoa 100% I'd consider again the luxury of laminated sails. Very hypothetically so
__________________
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 12:16   #35
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,940
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

The reason for exotic materials is pretty simple. They weigh less (the mainsail for A^3 were ghee 100lbs vs 250 for a 3dl the same size, and probably 500 for Dacron), stretch less, last longer, and are more predictable. The downside of course is up front cost.
__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 13:43   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,055
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

"DYS®X range is the 4th generation of this performance laminate line."
Would it be cruel to suggest that means "We found out, we weren't really doing it the best way, the last three times we did it." ?


Racing is a rich man's sport.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 22:41   #37
Registered User
 
Kestrahl's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Malaysia
Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Posts: 262
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"DYS®X range is the 4th generation of this performance laminate line."
Would it be cruel to suggest that means "We found out, we weren't really doing it the best way, the last three times we did it." ?
Racing is a rich man's sport.
Well it delaminated badly in tropical heat, just replaced a 86sqm main on a 53ft catamaran which was unused for a long time inside a leisure furl. if the material hadn't delaminated the sail would be fine. Same goes with DC, which is now replaced by DC-X..
The American made laminates like CX / SXI seem to fair better.
__________________
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:11   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 280
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

I'm about to buy a cruising genoa for an old Tartan 41 and am down to 2 lofts. One loft is offering Marblehead, which I am familiar with and is good stuff. It is also cheaper that the other loft, but I like the second loft better. They quoted Dimension Polyant C-breeze (a hundred $ more) and AP-blade (many hundreds $ more). The AP blade has a UV coating and, they claim, will out last marblehead and is comparable in strength/tenacity. I'm having a hard time finding technical info on Dimension-Polyant cloth as their web page 'specs' are just salesman fluff... no numbers, no test results.
Anyone experienced with both Marblehead and DP woven products. Is DP C-breeze comparable to marblehead and AP blade actually better?.. and when I say "better", same strength, same low stretch but more durable, at least with UV.. I can't really afford the AP-blade, so I guess it is really down to C-breeze vs Marblehead. opinions?
thanks
__________________
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 13:32   #39
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: US/MX West coast
Posts: 465
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I'm about to buy a cruising genoa for an old Tartan 41 and am down to 2 lofts. One loft is offering Marblehead, which I am familiar with and is good stuff. It is also cheaper that the other loft, but I like the second loft better. They quoted Dimension Polyant C-breeze (a hundred $ more) and AP-blade (many hundreds $ more). The AP blade has a UV coating and, they claim, will out last marblehead and is comparable in strength/tenacity. I'm having a hard time finding technical info on Dimension-Polyant cloth as their web page 'specs' are just salesman fluff... no numbers, no test results.
Anyone experienced with both Marblehead and DP woven products. Is DP C-breeze comparable to marblehead and AP blade actually better?.. and when I say "better", same strength, same low stretch but more durable, at least with UV.. I can't really afford the AP-blade, so I guess it is really down to C-breeze vs Marblehead. opinions?
thanks
Dimension Polyant describes C-Breeze as a general purpose economical cloth. Marblehead is a better choice for cruising. One thing I really like about Marblehead is the UV resistance of the warp fibers as they're fairly large. I find some lofts try to make a big deal out of offering DP's lower end materials. Arguably DP makes some of the best sailcloth. I love their ProRadial as an example. But their lower end offerings really aren't anything all that special and should be compared to the lower end materials offered by Challenge and Bainbridge.
It's sort of like a car salesman telling you to buy a Chevy Malibu on account of what a great performing car the Corvette Z6 is. Might be same manufacturer but totally different product.
And as for Marblehead, we've had customers circumnavigate with it and do some other long distance cruises quite successfully.
__________________
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 20:01   #40
Registered User
 
Kestrahl's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Malaysia
Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Posts: 262
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandplanet View Post
Dimension Polyant describes C-Breeze as a general purpose economical cloth. Marblehead is a better choice for cruising. One thing I really like about Marblehead is the UV resistance of the warp fibers as they're fairly large. I find some lofts try to make a big deal out of offering DP's lower end materials. Arguably DP makes some of the best sailcloth. I love their ProRadial as an example. But their lower end offerings really aren't anything all that special and should be compared to the lower end materials offered by Challenge and Bainbridge.
It's sort of like a car salesman telling you to buy a Chevy Malibu on account of what a great performing car the Corvette Z6 is. Might be same manufacturer but totally different product.
And as for Marblehead, we've had customers circumnavigate with it and do some other long distance cruises quite successfully.
Sorry IP you are incorrect. C-Breeze is 100% high tenacity polyester and in the middle of DP's dacron range, low end challenge is not high tenacity so you cannot make that comparison. Actually the only difference between C-breeze and DP's premium dacron is the coating, otherwise they are identical. Secondly Marblehead is one of the lowest performing dacron's in terms of strength loss due to UV damage, much lower than C-Breeze.
__________________
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 22:59   #41
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: US/MX West coast
Posts: 465
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
Sorry IP you are incorrect. C-Breeze is 100% high tenacity polyester and in the middle of DP's dacron range, low end challenge is not high tenacity so you cannot make that comparison. Actually the only difference between C-breeze and DP's premium dacron is the coating, otherwise they are identical. Secondly Marblehead is one of the lowest performing dacron's in terms of strength loss due to UV damage, much lower than C-Breeze.
Where are you getting your data from Kestrahl? My DP catalog doesn't have any real data and I've never seen them put out the kind of charts that Challenge does. Our experience with Marblehead in real life as opposed to lab tests has been quite positive. In fact I had a client with a 48' cruising cat that had excellent results over about 18,000 miles with Marblehead. I actually recommended that he not go with any crosscut woven for that project but it worked out better than I expected.

Not all high tenacity threads are created equal either. If they were, it would make our jobs easier.
__________________
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 21:46   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Posts: 720
Images: 13
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

Just ordered a DP Hydranet radial cut genoa, 130, for my Wauquiez 49. We are using the 393 weight. I looked at DP lite skin, but was wanting a white sail. I already have racing carbons. The radial fabric looks like a superior design than the crosscut version.
__________________
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 20:13   #43
Registered User
 
Kestrahl's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Malaysia
Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Posts: 262
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandplanet View Post
Where are you getting your data from Kestrahl? My DP catalog doesn't have any real data and I've never seen them put out the kind of charts that Challenge does. Our experience with Marblehead in real life as opposed to lab tests has been quite positive. In fact I had a client with a 48' cruising cat that had excellent results over about 18,000 miles with Marblehead. I actually recommended that he not go with any crosscut woven for that project but it worked out better than I expected.

Not all high tenacity threads are created equal either. If they were, it would make our jobs easier.
From discussing with DP Germany and testing dacron, the dp sample cards have the graphs. Nothing beats the old hood dacron
__________________
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 16:36   #44
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,563
Images: 14
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
From discussing with DP Germany and testing dacron, the dp sample cards have the graphs. Nothing beats the old hood dacron
Peter Sanders a well respected sail maker in the UK also agrees that C-Breeze is a high tenacity fabric. Below is an interesting video of a presentation he gave a couple of years ago (2013) . The discussion on different Dacron fabrics starts about 49 minutes in and follows with laminates.

__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 18:33   #45
Registered User
 
UNCIVILIZED's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Up the mast, looking for clean wind.
Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Posts: 5,629
Re: Help With Sail Cloth Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Peter Sanders a well respected sail maker in the UK also agrees that C-Breeze is a high tenacity fabric. Below is an interesting video of a presentation he gave a couple of years ago (2013) . The discussion on different Dacron fabrics starts about 49 minutes in and follows with laminates.

Thanks Pete7, this looks like it's worth taking a look at.
__________________

__________________

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahe 36: Rig and Sails kev&jo Fountaine Pajot 368 26-11-2017 11:06
For Sale: Sail - Storm - ATN 150 sq ft Gail Sail svBeBe Classifieds Archive 4 12-01-2012 09:14
Help Me Fantasize About a New Sail Wardrobe Dockhead Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 22 16-12-2011 11:04
Code Zero Furler Sail Modification akio.kanemoto Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 4 21-11-2011 13:33
For Sale: Parasailor 2.0 (67sqm) - Brand New isolamia Classifieds Archive 1 12-08-2011 04:51



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.