Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 14:50   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Help me pick a new mainsail

estop
Your best bet is to call Mack Sails.....
Talk to Travis and tell 'em what you desire....
He will give you HONEST, and LEARNED advice and counsel, whether or not you buy a sail from them (which I suspect you WILL do), you will learn a lot, and learn why Mack Sails has such a long-time, loyal customer base....(I myself, have been doing business with for many, many years....as has my brother, and my parents did business with Colin and Travis' Dad, back when he ran "Mack-Shaw Sails" in the 1970s...)

Colin Mack and Travis Blane (the brothers who own and operate Mack Sails), grew up sailing/cruising the Bahamas / Caribbean / Florida, etc. and working on boats....and they both learned sailmaking and rigging, both on-the-job, and professional training/school, etc....
They are both sailors and sailmakers (and riggers)....they are NOT sails salesmen (like just about every other guy you speak to / e-mail with, who is trying to sell you a sail, rather "the Macks" are REAL sailmakers!!!
They design, and build, their own sails....right there in their loft in Florida.....no offshore loft....
Oh, and they use the highest quality (US manufactuered) Challenge Marblehead Dacron Cloth, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by estop View Post
North Sails would not even give me a call back after going to there office 4 times. How hard can it be to make sails for a stock Westsail 32 ?
FYI, my only connection with Mack Sails is as a happy, longtime customer....

Have a look, give 'em a call, and you'll also be a happy, longtime customer of theirs!!
772-283-2306

Mack Sails Sailmakers for mainsails, headsails, genoas, spinnakers, lazy jacks

Introduction

Sail Cloth

Mack Sails - Main, genoa, jib, spinnakers

Satisfaction

Read these pages.....and you'll learn a LOT....and then give 'em a call, and you'll end up being both an educated sailor and a happy Mack Sails customer!!

Oh, and there are other discussions that speak to the superior sails and customer service, of Mack Sails.....and many comments on the rather poor service (and mediocre sail construction) given by some of the other sailmakers / lofts....
Have a look see....and you'll learn even more...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...e-31925-2.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...yle-47375.html

Good Old Boat - I've got the new sail blues article

Dacron Sailcloth

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...fts-54516.html

New Sails

North's Nordac Radian sailcloth?

Fair winds....

John
s/v Annie Laurie

P.S. jeepblue,
Keep us posted on your results....and you may also find the above links useful....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Thanks for all the info. I ended up with a Rolly Tasker because the general consensus was they were quality, and it was an amazing price (was an in-stock sail, didn't have to come from Thailand)
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 18:16   #32

+1 for Mack sails. I got a main from them. They built it like I wanted. Lots of roach that hit the back stay.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 19:10   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Here are some sources for used. Some will put you on a wait list for the right one coming in. Your boat has a lot of sister ships. Check local marinas & yacht clubs. Many racers and others with plenty of money replace sails often. When I raced, the main was new every three years. BTW, there is a limit to the amount & type of cut-down a sail maker can do without compromising performance.

Sails, New and Used, where to buy sails.
http://www.marinersxchange.com/
CAST-AWAYS Used Sail Loft and Marine Surplus
Pineapple Sails Sailmaker
Used Sails from Second Wind Sails
MINNEY'S YACHT SURPLUS - WE MAKE BOATING AFFORDABLE
Sails, Sailboat Sails, Custom Sails, Instant Online Sail Prices at FX Sails
Atlantic Sail Traders - Used sails, New sails, Sail Broker
The Sailwarehouse
Mack Sails Sailmakers for mainsails, headsails, genoas, spinnakers, lazy jacks
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 11:24   #34

Boat: Catalina 387

Thanks to all for the info. Got the sail on (fit perfectly) and took the boat out yesterday. Was around 6-12 kts of wind, not much swell. The sail was excellent. very good shape. I had replaced the outhaul during the boom overhaul so I tested moving the draft around -- which did what was expected.

Was definitely faster than the old sail - more 'forward' force and less sideways force (as expected). The sail is in all aspects better than the old one - more reinforcement at the tack, clew, and head. The top luff slide is metal, not plastic. All full battens. Better batten pockets. Actually has a draft stripe, working telltales, etc... The only negative is it's tougher to flake since it's not 35 years old and completely worn out.

I purchased the sail from National Sail Supply, who had it in-stock. Took about 5 days to get it. It does not in any way look/feel like a 'cheap' sail. I'm sure if I had a custom one made from a local loft that it would be better than this, but not by much and not in any way that would affect my use (coastal cruising)

So very happy with the sail. And we were happy we went out - Nice weather, decent wind, saw a ~40 ft grey whale and followed it for a few miles.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 11:46   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

jeepbluetj,

Congratulations! Sounds like it has all come out well. New sails are one of the rarer pleasures!

Ann

Tags
mainsail, sail