Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 11:12   #1

Boat: Celestial 48
Help Finding Stanchion Bases

Boat was built in mid 80s and has stanchion bases for standard 1" tubes and no tilt (i.e., 90 deg). Been searching around and find lots of bases, but none that really match. I have a few that are failing and need to be replaced. Any known sources for these? Thanks for help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010852.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	116043  
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:42   #2

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Help Finding Stanchion Bases

There is one very close to your style on the link below. Difference is the loops are attached on the longer side of the base. Didn't check overall dimensions, too. http://www.rigrite.com/Hardware/Stan...chion_Bases_SS.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:03   #3

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
There is one very close to your style on the link below. Difference is the loops are attached on the longer side of the base. ...
Thanks, but those are canted in at an angle. Base different size, but might work with new holes and wooden pads. They had some others at 0 degrees in different style and getting quote. Still would like to find a better match if possible.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 16:29   #4

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

Try Garhauer Marine Hardware -13042451
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 17:35   #5

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

After searching for some time now still no exact match.

This supplier states they can make duplicates for you. They have some very similar so maybe a custom order wouldnt be too pricey.

BOSUN SUPPLIES - Stainless Steel Anchors Deck Hardware Chain Shackles Hooks Clips Rigging Fasteners Tools Suncor Microstar wire rope marine hardware
Old 03-01-2016, 02:48   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Need help finding the stanchion bases???

Might try peering at the bottom of the stanchions...

Dammit, there I go again... sorry Dennis, sometimes I can't help myself!

Good luck in your search,mate!

Jim
Old 03-01-2016, 05:02   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Have you run through the list of Chandleries, & Boat/Boat Gear Salvage Shops, which specialize in used marine gear? As there are more than enough of them out there, to fill up many, many pages in a phone book.

I'd start with the big name places, & work my way down. And when you speak with them, ask'em if they'd be kind enough to give you a call when they get some matching ones in. After leaving a few pics, plus a phone number with them.
Plus, perhaps offering them an incentive/finder's fee, if they set you up with your ideal choice, gear wise.

Also, some other possible options are:
- Get (all) of your current ones re-welded/refurbished (& beefed up), now. So that they're all the same, cosmetically, as well as meeting the same standard, strength wise.

- Get a full set of new (pre-loved) ones (plus a few spares @ the same time). Particularly as, usually you can do something like that at enough of a discount (by buying used, in bulk) that it wont hurt the wallet too badly. Especially if you sell the old ones at the same time.

- Consider beefing up your lifeline system in the areas where the old bases are failing/have failed. Most likely due to their bearing extra loadings over time, as compared to the others.
Which may mean having a few custom stanchions/gates, with more & beefier bases, made. Including the use of oversized, welded gussets, as well as oversized lugs (such as are found on older racing bike frames). And or, bolting extra supporting hardware onto the stanchions themselves.

Note: When I say lugs, I'm referring to ones akin to these, bicycle frame lugs - Bing images though they needn't be so complex, or "modern art'ish".
Still the purpose is the same: To strengthen the structure, via adding extra metal in the high load areas. Without creating hard spots, through their use of non-linear end points in their design shapes, where the lugs terminate on the tubing.

There's also, one other possible option. But it's a lengthy read. And semi-complex, plus expensive to do. But if you're curious, just LMK.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:21   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Have a look at this website.

New Stainless Steel Stanchion Base 7/8"
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:36   #9

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Try Minnie's Yacht Surplus in Cali. They seem to have a lot of obscure stuff. Haven't tried them yet, but a friend recommends them. Good luck.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:05   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Boat was built in mid 80s and has stanchion bases for standard 1" tubes and no tilt (i.e., 90 deg). Been searching around and find lots of bases, but none that really match. I have a few that are failing and need to be replaced. Any known sources for these? Thanks for help.
Take the parts to someone who makes towers & other structures. Thir scrap will be enough to repair or duplicate.

Our stanchions were all wrecked in Hurricane IVAN (PO). I had the welder use oversize tubes to make tall sockets with mitered cut for greater strength. The old 1" stanchions were all kinked near their base so we salvaged 100% of the old junk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BASE.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	116075  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:33   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Looks similar to the Schaefer base below. Wonder if it could be an older Schaefer or a builder original. Many far east builders made their own deck hardware, copying from manufacturers.

mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 14:45   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok dennis g you are in sea of cortez, where everything is able to be fabricated easily and cheaply. take your old one to a fab artist--you know, welder who makes stuff, aka mexican, have him make what you need. is easy and CHEAP.
if you cannot find em there, there is a mexican licensed salvor in mazatlan., he is a friend of mine. he is an underwater welder, loves making stuff. so.
in mexico, go to mexican, you WILL get awesome stuff hand made for much less than in usa. try it. you ARE in the capital of this hemisphere for repairing. use em.
guaranteed that what they make from scratch will be better at least in price than what you send away for. you might be surprised at the quality of ss welders in mexico, btw. they have done some impressive stuff DIRT CHEAP.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 15:41   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversailor View Post
Really, send one to Garhauer, Mark will make them if you order a few and is always very reasonable. If you are changing all, think about any mods you might like.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 18:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok dennis g you are in sea of cortez, where everything is able to be fabricated easily and cheaply. take your old one to a fab artist--you know, welder who makes stuff, aka mexican, have him make what you need. is easy and CHEAP.
if you cannot find em there, there is a mexican licensed salvor in mazatlan., he is a friend of mine. he is an underwater welder, loves making stuff. so.
in mexico, go to mexican, you WILL get awesome stuff hand made for much less than in usa. try it. you ARE in the capital of this hemisphere for repairing. use em.
guaranteed that what they make from scratch will be better at least in price than what you send away for. you might be surprised at the quality of ss welders in mexico, btw. they have done some impressive stuff DIRT CHEAP.
I agree, since you are in Mexico, this is probably the best solution. Excellent craftsmen in Mexico and very affordable.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 19:01   #15

Boat: Catalina Morgan 440

Dennis
I spent an exorbitant amount of time researching suppliers for replacement stanchion poles and bases for our Cat38. The likely cost would be $2500-$3000. Most were badly engineered from a stress, fatigue and stiffness viewpoint. An additional complication was that we wanted to widen the deck by moving out the base and bracing it between the deck and toe-rail. There was one base that would do this but about $100 each so I am going it alone, buying TIG welder (which I always wanted for other work ) and getting the sheet metal formwork done on line.
It's and adventure but I don't think I will be out of pocket.
The project is just under way and should be completed in about 6 weeks
If any one is interested in the outcome good or bad let me know!
boogalloo is offline   Reply With Quote