Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2011, 15:06   #1

Boat: 535 Norseman
Headsail Furler

So long time lurker (I usually just go looking through existing posts for an answer) and first time poster.

My problem is that I currently have a Reckmann hydraulic furler on the headsail and the faceplate came off (now on the bottom of the ocean) and the gears almost joined them. Well when I called the dealers for Reckmann and he called the manufacturer directly and they said that the furler I have is no longer made so they probably can't fix it (no parts) and a new one would cost 25k. The part that really got my goat was that they recommend that the unit be rebuilt every 10 years, yet this unit is around 20 years old and they no longer have parts for it - what?!? Aggravating.

Needless to say I am currently trying to figure out a traditional manual furler and wanted to know what people had to say in terms of A) reliability b)cost c) parts accessibility (dealer network). It's a 53' foot boat so that certainly limits my options as well.

Thanks for the input,
Mike
memiller279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 15:24   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Headsail Furler

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum Mike and enjoy the site....

I'm finally going to break down and get one for our boat, haven't figured out which one yet..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 15:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Mike,

At the size boat you have you need sail measurements and forestay length and diameter to help compute what you need. It's going to be a "large" but it might be a custom. You could fit into a standard furler. In a manual furler 20 years would be common. Mine is not as big but still totally functional at 20 years. I've had good luck with Harken and Schaefer. Most people have. A manual should not be a problem but you can't load it up and expect easy operation. I would also strongly advise you have a halyard restrainer as well. You have to maintain the angle to the the halyard else risk wrapping it.

You'll be pulling the forestay to make this work too. I would replace it totally as well as give the connections a going over and replacement too. Blowing a forestay is not anything anyone should have to deal with on the water. They don't blow on a calm day either.

You will also need to run furling line so that issue has it's own set of requirements and limitations.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 15:29   #4

Our ProFurl has stood us in good stead for almost 15 years.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler