Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2018, 07:05   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Halyard Stuck in mast

This happened to me on a TransAt. The clutch for the genoa halyard was somehow not locked down properly and the line became loose without anyone noticing. The sail did not fall down as it was reefed. Eventually the halyard chaffed through and disappeared down inside the mast. We used the spinnaker halyard instead. Tried to pull the missing line out of the bottom of the mast but it jammed and don't know where it is inside the mast although I suspect the spreaders may have something to do with this. Have now had the mast lifted off but cannot see anything from either end, even with a scope. Boat is a 1985 Hunter 40 with a pre-bent mast. Anybody have any suggestions as to how I can get the remains of the halyard out?
gwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 16:30   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Halyard Stuck in mast

Can you burn it? Perhaps not. Since it appears jammed, pulling harder may break something inside the mast, so that probably won't work either. Can you get a schematic of the mast from the manufacturer (or elsewhere)? That might help to give you ideas about what might be going on inside. After trying to come up with a visualization of how or where the halyard is jammed, it would be tempting to try to fish for the broken halyard from the top of the mast with something like an electrician's snake. Any long, flexible, but stiff extrusion with a barb or hook at the end might work. The loose halyard could just be sitting in a pile on top of the spreader compression tube. Snagging any part of it might free it up so you could pull it all down, or you might be able to sneak it back up to the top and resolve it that way. Good luck!
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 17:06   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Can u get an endoscope camera inside the mast ? I’ve got a cheapie one I use on my boat , has a 5m cable and transmits to my cellphone. Used it sever times, worked well.
hobsonlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 17:55   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobsonlea View Post
Can u get an endoscope camera inside the mast ? I’ve got a cheapie one I use on my boat , has a 5m cable and transmits to my cellphone. Used it sever times, worked well.
Says he tried a scope and could not see anything from either end.

This is a tough one for sure... perhaps a better endoscope with a longer reach??

Might be possible to remove an anti-crush tube if present, or other spreader hardware that it might be hung up on.

Jim
Old 01-12-2018, 05:57   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

I might try and run a mouse line, tie it to the end of the halyard you have access to, and reverse it out the other way. Downside is the mouse might get hung up too, complicating matters.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobsonlea View Post
What is the make of your scope? My scope only has approx 1m.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I might try and run a mouse line, tie it to the end of the halyard you have access to, and reverse it out the other way. Downside is the mouse might get hung up too, complicating matters.
This thought occurred to me too and I will probably give it a try. I then wondered if the halyard doesn't pull down, why should it pull up.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:50   #8

The inside of the mast has five other lines running down inside it and a tube containing the mast wiring. On the mast there is only a radar dome. My most pessimistic thought was that the halyard had fallen down around both sides of the spreader compression tube and a loop snagged on a rivet/screw.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:15   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
According to the OP, the halyard chafed through and fell into the mast. When they tried to pull it out from the bottom, it jammed somewhere inside the mast and won't move. They can't "reverse it out". Tying something to the end they have access to - a mouse or messenger - won't help. They can't pull it up unless they can fish the end out of the top. Running another halyard up, using a messenger tied to a working halyard, would still leave the jammed halyard in the way.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:49   #10

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

OP, if you cannot see the snag via an endoscope you haven't looked deep enough, either get longer scope or drill a few holes for access. If your nervous about a few holes you can have them welded up afterwards.
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:40   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I suspect that when it fell down it built a pile/knot on top of an around a long bolt.

Look for through bolts. Failing that, start stripping the mast, starting with aftermarket additions. Maybe it is a lone self-tapping screw.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:43   #12

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m

would it be possible to insert a short tube in the mast from the lower end. Insert into the tube the stuck halyard and fix this halyard on deck. Attach the main halyard, which I understand is still in the mast, to the outer diameter of the tube in some way. F.i by means of a fixed ring (hose clamp) around the tube and pull the main halyard towards the top op the mast. Then the stuck halyard may come lose and you can insert a new halyard. Good luck
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:46   #13
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyn View Post
This happened to me on a TransAt. The clutch for the genoa halyard was somehow not locked down properly and the line became loose without anyone noticing. The sail did not fall down as it was reefed. Eventually the halyard chaffed through and disappeared down inside the mast. We used the spinnaker halyard instead. Tried to pull the missing line out of the bottom of the mast but it jammed and don't know where it is inside the mast although I suspect the spreaders may have something to do with this. Have now had the mast lifted off but cannot see anything from either end, even with a scope. Boat is a 1985 Hunter 40 with a pre-bent mast. Anybody have any suggestions as to how I can get the remains of the halyard out?
I would agree that the halyard is snagged on something. Since you can't pull the line out through the bottom it sounds like it must come out through the top. This is probably complicated by the excess line that fell from the top after it broke. One possibility is to keep the bottom line slightly taught while lifting the mast upside down and letting that excess top line drop, possibly freeing it or then getting some hold on it to pull it out.

If that doesn't work drilling a hole to scope the area you think the snag is sounds reasonable, welding it closed afterwards. But if you find the snag I suspect a second hole will need to be made for some working tool to free the line; one for viewing, one for working.

Lastly, don't forget to remove that snag after the line is free so you won't ever have to do this again.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:13   #14

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Is it possible to slide several lengths of ? Diameter PVC tubing glued or screwed together over the remaining halyard and up the mast to the spot its jammed and try pushing up on the tube to see if that helps dislodge the line?
Just a thought.
If it doesn't work you've only lost a few dollars trying.
Cheers,
SV Cloudduster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:13   #15

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

How about using the crane the removed the mast to lift it upside down? And shake it if that is possible. And maybe pulling some of the other halyards to see if they move the offending one. Best of luck
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard, mast