I had similar issues after sitting two years. The mast head
bushing was corroded solid, just the main, not the jib
Struggled with it on my delivery
for winter storage
(what a pain), then took the mast down. Found the issue and resolved it in about 15 minutes. BIG hammer and punch to do it. I could never have done it aloft.
Once I got it apart all I had to do was wire brush the bits. No$. Well, except to haul and unstep the mast.
If you want, tie a haul down to the halyard, then make up a car to go into the track. Run it up and down a few times. I put a bit of candle wax in there and forced it up the track. That made getting the sail up easier, but still far from easy. (until I fixed the sheave.)