Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 16:49   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 44 - Safari Tu
Gulfstar traveler replacement

We'd like to upgrade our original traveler with an adjustable system. The good news is that on our Gulfstar 44 the track is straight, so finding a replacement track will be easy. The potential bad news is figuring out how to remove the old track.

Has anyone replaced a Gulfstar traveler track? Will I need to remove the headliner to get to the bolts, or is the track screwed into some kind of base that I can reuse with the new track (my secret hope)?

Or, is there a way to retrofit my existing system without replacing the track/car, etc? The goal is to be able to adjust the traveler and spill wind without having to tack first!

thx,
Safari Tu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gulfstar cockpit.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	6603  
Safari Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 14:59   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
I did that conversion on my GS 44. There's an outfit called RigRite http://www.rigrite.com/Travellers/NF...Ftraveler.html that sells the Nicro Fico tracks, cars and block sets. My track is the 37mm X track, which is probably what yours is, too. RigRite sells double cheek block kits so that you could have a proper traveller with 4:1 purchase that will mate to the existing track.

You don't want to change the track if it can be avoided. There should be a substantial backing plate under the track, that you would have to drop your liner to get to. You do not want to drop the liner if it can be avoided, as it runs to the outer hull and then the settees and other components were put in afterward. It would quickly turn into a big project.

PS: I had forgotten to grab you the manual off of the boat and the wiring diagram. Will try to grab it next time out to the boat.
Old 13-01-2009, 16:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
OooOooo .... Nice picture .. one of the great things about this forum is that people post pictures about what they are doing. And every so often, you see something that causes the light bulb to go off.

In this case, the cockpit of the GS44 is very similar to the Endeavour 43: large center cockpit with a change in elevation of the seating that extends past the hatch (and under the dodger). Soooo - fiddles! I see that there are fiddles extending from the hatch to the coaming. What a neat idea.

And, we have similar teak cockpit cap rails too!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 05:52   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 44 - Safari Tu
thanks to CF !

Starfish - thanks for the great tip about Rigrite - that will save me major $$ and headache, so we can spend more time sailing!

Elusive - yes the fiddles are an awesome upgrade that the prior owner did, looks original. That space under the dodger now comfortably holds sunglasses, cans of pringles, binoculars, books, flashlights and all kinds of things that would otherwise be rolling around. Luckily the space between the hatch and coaming is pitched so that it can drain - there is a tiny hole drilled in the bottom, outboard corner of the fiddles.

Cruising Forum is great!

-Safari Tu
Safari Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 10:42   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tu View Post
Starfish - thanks for the great tip about Rigrite - that will save me major $$ and headache, so we can spend more time sailing!
-Safari Tu
The only other point is that you might want to go ahead and get the 8-wheel car to replace your 6 wheel. If you keep the original car, be sure to check the wheels as they go bye-bye.

You're welcome. Let us know how it works out.

Tags
gulfstar