Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 15:43   #1

Gulfstar 50 mast height/bridge clearance

Can anyone tell me the mast height/bridge clearance of a Gulfstar 50 sloop?
Frank
Captfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 16:43   #2

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: Gulfstar 50 mast height/bridge clearance

GULFSTAR 50 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Look here.
Old 19-07-2012, 14:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Sailboatdata isn't going to help. It usually just gives you I, J, P, and E. As a sailmaker I can tell you that sailboatdata.com is helpful but it usually doesn't do a great job of listing the various rigs. For instance some boats were manufactured with a standard, short (aka San Francisco), and tall rig. Sailboatdata.com will usually just show one set of measurements.

Never trust a masthead clearance number that you haven't personally verified with a tape measure. Use a metal tape for accuracy. Have someone go aloft and measure how far above the masthead your instruments are. Then hold the tape snug against the masthead fitting while your helper measures down to the water's surface. Remember to add in the figure for the instruments. This will be a slightly longer than actual measurement since you're not going straight down. If you want to make it real accurate, it's some basic trig. You know the hypotenuse and you can get the foot by measuring the lateral distance from the mast to the rail. The other way would be measuring to the base of the mast and then use a string with a level to figure out the point above the water to complete your measuring. Or piece of clear hose with water can help with that as well.

If it's close, I like to hoist a crewmember aloft to verify we're not going to hit. On some boats you can remove instruments.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 12:23   #4

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandplanet View Post
Sailboatdata isn't going to help. It usually just gives you I, J, P, and E. As a sailmaker I can tell you that sailboatdata.com is helpful but it usually doesn't do a great job of listing the various rigs. For instance some boats were manufactured with a standard, short (aka San Francisco), and tall rig. Sailboatdata.com will usually just show one set of measurements.

Never trust a masthead clearance number that you haven't personally verified with a tape measure. Use a metal tape for accuracy. Have someone go aloft and measure how far above the masthead your instruments are. Then hold the tape snug against the masthead fitting while your helper measures down to the water's surface. Remember to add in the figure for the instruments. This will be a slightly longer than actual measurement since you're not going straight down. If you want to make it real accurate, it's some basic trig. You know the hypotenuse and you can get the foot by measuring the lateral distance from the mast to the rail. The other way would be measuring to the base of the mast and then use a string with a level to figure out the point above the water to complete your measuring. Or piece of clear hose with water can help with that as well.

If it's close, I like to hoist a crewmember aloft to verify we're not going to hit. On some boats you can remove instruments.
People will make up there own mind if sailboatdata.com is 'any help'.

I spent 20 years making sails. In this case, if you are talking about the GULFSTAR 50, the above link IS for the shorter (ketch) rig. The tall mast version can be found here:
GULFSTAR 50 TM sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Most of the popular rig options and variations for a particular boat ARE listed.
(though perhaps not in the most user friendly way.)

RE Mast Height-
On sailboatdata.com, I ONLY list a number for mast height above DWL UNLESS one is given on a manufactures brochure or sail plan for a particular rig. I never attempt to 'extrapolate' measurements. These, of course, only represent what a manufacturer or designer intended on any particular day.

AND, of course, as you have said, you can never be sure about things like bridge clearance without taking your own measurements. (as you would need to do when you order sails etc.)

Not that the site is all that great. Errors certainly do exist, information is missing, and the interface is in need of serious work. It's a big list that gets edited every day. I never express an opinion about an particular boat. But I take the RELIABLILITY of the data that you see very seriously.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 13:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Post View Post
People will make up there own mind if sailboatdata.com is 'any help'.

I spent 20 years making sails. In this case, if you are talking about the GULFSTAR 50, the above link IS for the shorter (ketch) rig. The tall mast version can be found here:
GULFSTAR 50 TM sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Most of the popular rig options and variations for a particular boat ARE listed.
(though perhaps not in the most user friendly way.)

RE Mast Height-
On sailboatdata.com, I ONLY list a number for mast height above DWL UNLESS one is given on a manufactures brochure or sail plan for a particular rig. I never attempt to 'extrapolate' measurements. These, of course, only represent what a manufacturer or designer intended on any particular day.

AND, of course, as you have said, you can never be sure about things like bridge clearance without taking your own measurements. (as you would need to do when you order sails etc.)

Not that the site is all that great. Errors certainly do exist, information is missing, and the interface is in need of serious work. It's a big list that gets edited every day. I never express an opinion about an particular boat. But I take the RELIABLILITY of the data that you see very seriously.

Randy Browning
sailboatdata.com
Randy,

Please don't be offended by my comments. There are so many potential variants when it comes to rigs and creatively retrofitted boats. Your site is a very useful reference. I'm still figuring out how the site is organized. I think the key is to search on just the manufacturer name so you can pull up the list of all boats from that company and see what choices there are. I didn't even realize you listed air draft in some of your entries. I don't use the site for I, J, P, and E as we have a comprehensive database ourselves. Where I see a shortcoming is that let's say I type in "Islander 36" is that I get an example of the standard rig I-36. Looking at the list of all Islanders, I don't see a reference to a tall rig so if I wouldn't know it had been offered.

Air draft is going to vary from a manufacturer provided number so it's only a very rough reference. The number is theoretical and hopefully based on an empty boat so it's conservative. I doubt they made allowances for the typical antennas and instruments on the masthead.

All in all it's a good site and useful reference. I enjoy some of the historical data you have on there. Keep up the good work.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 11:45   #6

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33

No offence taken.
On the other hand, if you search by Islander 36, you will find the tall rig version.
Doyle sails I see! What is that new white stuff you're using these days. (white taffeta?? I guess w/carbon) A friend just got a new sail made of it. Very fast. I'm wondering if will last longer than a regular string sail.

rb
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulfstar, mast