Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 18:37   #1

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Gooseneck for Staysail/Jib Boom

I've seen one arrangement up close that has the gooseneck mounted to the stay. I didn't like the idea of the added pressure and wear on the stay. Do you folks with jib booms/staysail booms have other arrangments you could send me a photo of or an explanation?
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 19:20   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I've seen one arrangement up close that has the gooseneck mounted to the stay. I didn't like the idea of the added pressure and wear on the stay. Do you folks with jib booms/staysail booms have other arrangments you could send me a photo of or an explanation?
Kind regards,
JohnL
Most jib booms are attached to a bowsprit on a gammon iron (in the old days ). What for you want a jib boom anyway, when most of the fleet are turning to loose footed all around?

http://www.americanriggingsupply.com...oytJibBoom.pdf
Old 09-12-2008, 11:09   #3

Gooseneck for the Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Most jib booms are attached to a bowsprit on a gammon iron (in the old days ). What for you want a jib boom anyway, when most of the fleet are turning to loose footed all around?

http://www.americanriggingsupply.com...oytJibBoom.pdf
Thanks Del. I'm trying to get ideas for a boom on the staysail. I have a couple of smaller main booms I could rig but the goosenecks are wrong for the application to a staysail.
As to why I'd like the boom is so I can get whacked in the head while on the foredeck. Wakes me up in the AM. : )
Seriously. I like the idea of self tacking when coming into a narrow channel single handed and it seems that a boomed sail is an easier one to rig for self tacking. Am I wrong?
Is a gammon iron like a cransiron?
JohnL
Old 09-12-2008, 11:39   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I ditched the boom on our w32 because it did whack me on the head. Good thing my wife is a good seamstress.

I never found it a problem short tacking with the loose footed staysail. The staysail can be sheeted to the opposite side as soon as the boat gets close to head to wind, that period of time where your waiting for the jib backwind. Leaves plenty of time to work the jib on a tack. I tacked up a lot of narrow channels using the vane to steer while single handed. Personally think, besides being dangerous, staysail booms ease of tacking is greatly overrated.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 13:21   #5

Ok. I guess its worth another look. Ain't CF great?
Peter, my friend David just sailed a beautiful WS 32 over from SF in July. It really is a great boat. Now we have two of them in Reeds Bay.
Mahalo Nui Loa
JohnL
Old 09-12-2008, 16:58   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Self tacking jib sheets can be put on a traveller that keeps the sail set by traveling over freely.

The only advantage to a jib-boom that I know of would be on a reach or before the wind and then you don't want it self tacking due to the shock load when coming about.

Harken Rigging Tips: self-tacking jibs & staysails

Old 09-12-2008, 18:02   #7

Thanks Del. That really is slick. Guess I'll have to use those old booms for other projects like dinghy hoisting or whisker poles.
Regards,
JohnL