Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 09:30   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Glueing Sail

I have small section of sail seam that the stitching has come apart. I’m not going to take the sail off and wait somewhere for a shop to get around to sewing it. I also don’t feel like hand sowing and am thinking glue because it really is not at a place I think will cause a problem.

I did a web search and came across an old article where a sail guy at North Sails did a bunch of tests. It said that quick set 5200 was actually stronger than the standard stitching (they tested it, not just guessed).

Anyone here tired glueing a sail seam? What did you use and how well did it work?

Btw I’m talking standard Dacron sails
Old 22-07-2018, 10:42   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Glueing Sail

Yes and no. I fact I talked at some length with "that guy," now retired, from North Sails.

If the cloth is still good, get out the stitching palm and re-sew through the existing holes. Very easy and the correct way to do the job. I enjoy hand sewing. It's relaxing and a vital part of seamanship.

If the cloth is too far gone to hold stitches, yes, glue can work. It is often the very best answer (other than a new sail). However, there are challenges:
  1. The normal seam overlap is not really enough bond area.
  2. The sun will loosen the patch in ~ 150 days of exposure. The UV basically attacks the bond right through the cloth. North did not test that.
  3. You have to hold the seam flat and still for a day or more while it cures. Not easy.
It would NOT be my first choice. Below is a long-term review of adhesive repair methods. I've used several polyurethanes and Dr. Sails with good success (but I sew whenever applicable).

https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/44_6/features/Simple-Sail-Repair_12428-1.htm

Dr. Sails is very good for this, solving the above problems (including UV), but you'd have to order it and it is more money. Dr. Sails is probably the BEST solution for laminate sails, since they don't like stitching, particularly not used.

Dr. Sails Rules!

Sail Delmarva: Dr. Sails

Tags
sail