Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2019, 07:19   #1

Getting started with rigging replacement

I’m returning to sailing after more than a 40 years absence. I’ve recently purchased a 1989 SeaWard Fox “17”. I have the boat on a buoy on Lake Geneva, WI.

I realize the the rigging and sails are more than 10 years and might even be original. This boat is lightly used and might be a trailer queen that only saw water a dozen times. It’s an ideal boat for my location: small enough to be economical to own and it should be easy to sail single handed.

I need to develop a plan to replace the standing rigging, running rigging and sails. Most of these replacements can be made in the off season, starting in October. I’m trying to determine what my priorities should be.

The standing rigging is slack mostly because the forstay is stretched beyond its adjustment range at the turnbuckle. Should I replace all 5 stays or is it safe to replace the forstay only?

Prior to raising the mast and launching the boat next spring, I’d like to replace all running rigging that can only be replaced with the mast off the boat. What are the lines that can only be serviced with the mast on the ground?

The sails seem serviceable but are of questionable quality. What is the best process for evaluating if the sails need replacement?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 15:10   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Getting started with rigging replacement

Given the unknown age and suspect condition of the rigging, the most prudent option would be to replace it all. I would do that first...new sails arent much good if the rig is in the water!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 15:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
I’m returning to sailing after more than a 40 years absence. I’ve recently purchased a 1989 SeaWard Fox “17”. I have the boat on a buoy on Lake Geneva, WI.

I realize the the rigging and sails are more than 10 years and might even be original. This boat is lightly used and might be a trailer queen that only saw water a dozen times. It’s an ideal boat for my location: small enough to be economical to own and it should be easy to sail single handed.

I need to develop a plan to replace the standing rigging, running rigging and sails. Most of these replacements can be made in the off season, starting in October. I’m trying to determine what my priorities should be.

The standing rigging is slack mostly because the forstay is stretched beyond its adjustment range at the turnbuckle. Should I replace all 5 stays or is it safe to replace the forstay only?

Prior to raising the mast and launching the boat next spring, I’d like to replace all running rigging that can only be replaced with the mast off the boat. What are the lines that can only be serviced with the mast on the ground?

The sails seem serviceable but are of questionable quality. What is the best process for evaluating if the sails need replacement?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Are you certain that the forestay is stretched? Is the mast rake correct? Maybe the forestay doesn't require the turnbuckle. Do you have a backstay?

Being a small boat, the standing rigging might have been over-specced anyway, so it may not have fatigued as much as that on larger boats do. If you do opt to replace it, look for an industrial rigging place. Most can make up stays with eyelets and hydraulic crimps for less than an official boat rigger.

All-new running rigging would probably be $50 or so on such a small boat. Do it, and choose distinctive colours.

Try out the new sails - they may be ok. If they are still a bit crispy, hold a nice shape, and don't flog a lot, they are probably fine. If they are very soft, baggy, and always flog a lot in stronger breezes, it might be time to replace them.

For the record, our 19' boat dates to 1981. I still have original stays, newer turnbuckles, new running rigging and new sails (3 years ago).
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 07:03   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Boats that size that have seen little use could go much longer without needing to have rigging replaced. As Laker suggests, it is hard to imagine that the forestay has stretched. When it gets tired, SS wire usually parts a strand, so you can see problems develop beforehand. That said, we did once have a shroud that had been dye-tested (along with the rest of them) for faults suddenly fail at the top swage off the French coast while approaching Arcachon. This was after a transatlantic and wide-ranging European cruise. (The boat had previously extensively cruised the U.S. East Coast and circumnavigated Newfoundland.) Your dinghy has not seen that much use. New sails might do the most to help you enjoy the boat more. The other stuff seems essentially cosmetic, and with the lack of use you outline, even new sails could be unnecessary.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 04:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Are you certain that the forestay is stretched? Is the mast rake correct? Maybe the forestay doesn't require the turnbuckle. Do you have a backstay?

Being a small boat, the standing rigging might have been over-specced anyway, so it may not have fatigued as much as that on larger boats do. If you do opt to replace it, look for an industrial rigging place. Most can make up stays with eyelets and hydraulic crimps for less than an official boat rigger.

All-new running rigging would probably be $50 or so on such a small boat. Do it, and choose distinctive colours.

Try out the new sails - they may be ok. If they are still a bit crispy, hold a nice shape, and don't flog a lot, they are probably fine. If they are very soft, baggy, and always flog a lot in stronger breezes, it might be time to replace them.

For the record, our 19' boat dates to 1981. I still have original stays, newer turnbuckles, new running rigging and new sails (3 years ago).
I just started my third season with my 1989 SeaWard Fox. A month after my initial post, I concluded the the rigging was correct and in good condition, but that the area supporting the mast foot had settled and was now about two inches lower than original intended! During the winter of 2019/2020 I installed a compression post and reinforced the ceiling of the cabin with an aluminum panel. Now that the mast foot is back to its intended height the rigging fits correctly. I did replace the outer shrouds and will replace the forstay next winter.

A year ago I added a new mainsail, genoa and jib. This season I'll bring new halyards to a cleat near the hatch to improve my solo sailing routine.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rigging