Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 15:39   #1

Boat: Lancer 36 at Mission Bay, San Diego
Genoa car adjustment range?

Hi all, I am in process of upgrading my Genoa car system to an adjustable system via 4/1 purchase.(Garhauer E-Z G3)

I have a 36ft sloop with 14ft of track. The long track is so I can accommodate my 155, 135 and standard 100 sails.(mostly use 155)

I have been told that I need a line 5 times the length of the track. Inasmuch as I don't need the whole length of the track for each sail, I want to install the max length needed for "one" sail and adjust the fixed car for each of the different sized sails.

My question is what length of adjustment will I need. will 4-5 ft be enough? more?, less?

TIA
Forrest
WindDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 16:48   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
On a 36ft boat, for a specific headsail, I'd guess that the maximum required range of adjustment for the car will probably not be more than about 2 ft, maybe 3 ft tops. You are only looking at adjusting the lead angle of your genoa sheet from about 30 degrees to maybe 75 degrees.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 17:16   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I have a roller reefing system and use about 5' of my track. At 135% on a closehaul my genoa block sits right even with the back of the cabintop and I move it forward a couple feet for down wind.

At times, I roll up to 80% closehauled and at that point the genoa block sits just aft of the shrouds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	linestb.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1917   Click image for larger version

Name:	choate40b.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1918  

Old 02-10-2007, 09:48   #4

Thanks guys, I was originally thinking 2-3 ft, but thought that a couple extra ft just in case of something overlooked was how I arrived at 4-5 ft. A little extra is better than not enough, but didn't want more line to deal with in the cockpit than necessary.

Delmarrey-You said roller reefing system? please explain, I don't think that I have ever seen one. I will sometimes roll my furling up a bit when wind gets a little heavy for my 155, but only 10-15 %,as I don't want to damage it.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:05   #5

The sail has to be designed for roller reefing. On mine there were pads sewn along the luff to cushion the sail while under stress to help prevent pinching of the cloth. Here's an artical....................._/)

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityou...llerreefer.htm
Old 02-10-2007, 12:14   #6

Boat: Outbound 44
I might be missing something here, but I don't see the point in not putting in enough line to make use of the full length of the track. The blocks that are mounted to control the genoa cars are normally at the ends of the track. So the line needs to run back and forth, depending on the amount of purchase, to the blocks. The line is the cheapest part of this system, why limit it? For your large headsails, the clew will be way back on the track toward the cockpit when close hauled. When going downwind with a whisker pole, the car will get moved very far forward. If I was spending the money to have cockpit adjustable cars, I'd make sure they ran the full length of the track.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 14:58   #7

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I'm reading it that the blocks that control the genoa cars will, in fact, be mounted on cars with pin stops, so that you can position them wherever necessary (i.e just forward of the clew of whatever sail you are using. As the original poster suggested, his genoa track is 14' long, so he probably doesn't want to set up a 5:1 purchase with 14' of travel, but will set the pin-stop to wherever he nedds and then have 3' or travel on his purchase system.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 16:08   #8

Delmarrey- thanks for the info, I have been looking for a good explanation of debugging problems with the roller furler. Do you have any info on boom brakes? Sure sounds simpler than a preventer.

Paul L- Weyalan has it correct. Can you imagine running the cars(both sides) forward and the resultant lines(nearly 60ft each) in the cockpit with all the other lines. (mainsheet, fairleads-2, halyards-2, traveler-2, vang, backstay adjust) not to mention the outhaul, cunningham and line for reefing. I sometimes long for the days with my little Hobiecat when the only problem was staying on the darn thing.
Old 02-10-2007, 16:10   #9

Maybe. The genoa lead systems I've seen have the ends fixed. I guess you could go in and adjust for each sail size.

Paul L

Old 02-10-2007, 19:11   #10

Paul L- the Garhauer system has the fixed car with a pin stop that can be adjusted anywhere on the track. Great prices too. Garhauer Marine Hardware -5949121
Old 02-10-2007, 20:20   #11

Winddancer
That looks like a nice system, at decent price too. I still think I'd set it up for the majority of my track if I put one on.

Paul L
Old 02-10-2007, 20:29   #12

Like I mentioned earlier I use about 5 feet of travel on mine but I have a 10' track. I have a marked set position where I normally keep the pin car (forward) with the line paid all the way out and running thru a cheek block then to a winch. If I need to go before the wind there is very little pressure on the genoa car so I just go up on deck and and move the pin forward.

Before I go back to a closehaul I'll move everything back a bit and put the pin block back in it's marked position and put the genoa car back towards the cockpit.

It may sound like a little trouble but it's better then trying to move the car in different points of the closehaul. And it keeps the amout of line to a reasonable amount.

It'll do until I get my radio operated, motorized, genoa car
Old 02-10-2007, 20:51   #13

Boom brakes

I think there is another thread but the question is here. Here's a link to the BB.

MVBInfo.com -- Dutchman

But to add, I will never ever go without a boom brake again if I have a choice. Especially before the wind with in-experienced crew on board. BB's can be used in conjunction with a vang or not, mine not. But unlike a preventer, if you want to jib, you can and safely. It doesn't put a shockload on the boom if adjusted right.

The adjustment line is right at the helm and it's my best friend I always keep it at a tacking adjustment but when I start down wind and it's in position I lock it down. And the boom don't move except for the slight back lash which wakes me up if I screwed up. This last weekend it saved me problems a couple more times. 380 sq ft of main can be real dangerous in 25-30 kt winds, like this past Saturday. ......................._/)
Old 04-10-2007, 08:11   #14

Thanks everyone for your input, especially delmarrey for your referrals on secondary subjects.

Forrest

Tags
Genoa