Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 12:28   #1

Gennaker and Snuffer Rigging

I have a question more so for my parents but really for me as I want to fly the chute on our boat (we spend a lot of time racing on others) on snuffer rigging for a Gennaker. Im a new sailer and I dont have any experience with the rigging of a snuffer a Asym sail. We had it out once so far and I have a few questions about the rigging of the snuffer and how to properly attach it to the Halyard. As you can see by the pics there is something awery about it. Im guessing the previous owner did a little handyman repair to it.

How is the head of the sail rigged? From the pic you can see the head of the snuffer (Im sorry I dont know all of the terms yet bare with). The ring is then attached to that nightmarish peice of cable and is then in turn attached to the block from the "snuffing" line. This is where the problem starts, should the head of the chute be shackled to the block and the head of the snuffer and then the halyard to this shackle? Im assuming that the previous owner attached the halyard tot eh end of that cable and then attached the head of the chute somewhere on the cable.

Is the "foot" of the snuffer FUBARed? I ask this as it almost looks like the snuffing line has been cut and when we flew the chute for the first time it was extermly difficult to hoist the snuffer to the top of the mast. When hoisting it seems that the sail gets caught in the "Y" line that connects to the mouth of the "foot" of the snuffer. At one point we had the sail spread out on the lawn and my dad and I tried to figure out what is what. I was thinking about lengthing the "Y" line in the hope of creating a bigger opening, it also looks as if this line was retied at some point so maybe it wasnt orginal.

Thoughts

Here are the pics
Head
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...g/PICT4590.jpg
Foot
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...g/PICT4591.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...g/PICT4592.jpg
Noob7_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:44   #2

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
It's hard to tell from your photos...

What kind of snuffer you have.

We have an ATN Spinnaker Sock (which they call a sleeve) see: http://www.atninc.com/sleeve.html

The head of the sail connects to a shackle inside the sock and the whole sock assembly then attaches to the halyard. The sock control lines are independent and raise and lower the sock through a block.

ATN has a video on their website (above) that shows how the whole shebang works. Perhaps that video can provide you with some clues.

Best wishes,
Bill
SV Raptor Dance
p.s. below is a picture of us sailing with our sock up, you can see it bunched at the head of the sail.

SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 16:20   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
This is one of those great jobs for early one morning when the wind is zip, zero, calm, and totally non-existant.
Then you can sort it out on deck, slip up the mast on the main halyard and then watch as the chute is hoisted and see if it comes up right, then watch as the snuffer is raised and see if that works right and sits pretty. Explain what you want of the person on deck, and make sure they don't wander off. Obviously the snuffer has to sit above the chute, and the block to raise it must highest. Also check to see if theres chafe, or loading on one part or another. You may not have used this type of sail much before, but you will have a better chance of working it out while up the mast than an 'expert' on shore.
Experiment to see if theres another way to do it (keep checking the breeze hasnt come up!)

You might take some sticky tags up with you and tag the lot and mark them so when you pull it down you know each piece.
Back on terra-firma cut all that tape off the strops, hiding the swages, and off the knots. Whatever is under there it must be crook so have a look. I'd be cutting all those daggy ends out and bring it down to fresh solid rope. The whole thing looks a bit unseamanlike (oh, my god I hate saying that word! LOL sounds like I'm a grumpy ol sea dog) but prolly just needs a few minutes sorting it out and making it nice They are the fun jobs!

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 18:04   #4

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob7_0 View Post
How is the head of the sail rigged? From the pic you can see the head of the snuffer (Im sorry I dont know all of the terms yet bare with). The ring is then attached to that nightmarish peice of cable and is then in turn attached to the block from the "snuffing" line. This is where the problem starts, should the head of the chute be shackled to the block and the head of the snuffer and then the halyard to this shackle? Im assuming that the previous owner attached the halyard tot eh end of that cable and then attached the head of the chute somewhere on the cable.
It is a little hard to tell from your pics, but I'd say this is rigged so the halyard goes to the middle of the Y. The long leg of the Y goes to the chute head. The short leg holds the snuffer line block.
Quote:
Is the "foot" of the snuffer FUBARed? I ask this as it almost looks like the snuffing line has been cut and when we flew the chute for the first time it was extermly difficult to hoist the snuffer to the top of the mast. When hoisting it seems that the sail gets caught in the "Y" line that connects to the mouth of the "foot" of the snuffer. At one point we had the sail spread out on the lawn and my dad and I tried to figure out what is what. I was thinking about lengthing the "Y" line in the hope of creating a bigger opening, it also looks as if this line was retied at some point so maybe it wasnt orginal.
One thing I would do is take the chute out of the snuffer. Layout it out so it has no twists and reasonably straight. Take any kinks and twists out of the lifting line for the snuffer. Replace all.

When you are setting up the chute:
1. Attach the halyard
2. Raise snuffer to mast head
3. Look up the snuffer bag and untwist it. There should be a dark line or a seam you can follow up to guide you
4. Attach the tack and sheet
5. Raise the snuffer all the way up . It may bunch a bit at the top
6. Sheet the chute
7. sail fast

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:50   #5

Thanks for the input guys. Right now I know the chute is set correctly in the snuffer (repacked it) and I know how to rig and fly the sail Im just not 100% on the halyard. I looked at the ATN system and that is not what I have. The control lines run inside my snuffer not in a panel on the outside like the ATN system. Also the connections at the head of the snuffer are not the same as can be seen in the pic. Mine has some cord coming off the head with a ring and no shackling point inside the snuffer as far as I can tell.

I will clean it up for next season as I agree that it is "unseamanlike". I think Im also going to cut the cable off the top as that really doesnt look like it is suppose to be there, plus I dont know if that can take the stress that the sail would be put under.

Edit
Raptor Dance.....she is pretty
Old 11-12-2007, 07:20   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
See trimming the Asymmetrical Spinnaker
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:39   #7

How big a boat is it? It may be easier to simply loose the snuffer.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:05   #8

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
... I think Im also going to cut the cable off the top as that really doesnt look like it is suppose to be there, plus I dont know if that can take the stress that the sail would be put under.
You need some lead at the head to make room for the snuffer bag bunched up between the halyard and the sail head.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 17:13   #9

Thanks for the link doesnt seem to have the answers I need. I have been told by the skipper of the boat I race on to ditch the bag but I can see the bag being really nice when crusing, its a Mirage 30.

So you guys think there is nothing with this?

Old 11-12-2007, 17:26   #10

I would loose the bag for a Mirage 30. You can letterbox the kite if you are worried about dousing it.
Old 11-12-2007, 17:45   #11

Joli where can I learn more about this "Letterboxing"
Old 11-12-2007, 18:03   #12

Letterboxing is pretty easy. When dousing the kite drive off a little bit to maybe 150 to 160 true. Use the lazy sheet to start pulling the sail by the clew between the slot between of the boom and the foot of the main, ease the halyard as required, dump the kite right into the saloon through the companionway hatch. This technique will hold the sail up and out of the water and will also shade it behind the main.

Good luck.

Quote:
Joli where can I learn more about this "Letterboxing"
Old 11-12-2007, 18:11   #13

Thanks Joli I do that with the sinnaker normally just didnt know the term. You are my hero

Tags
gennaker, rigging