Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2015, 01:31   #1

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Gauges

Hi there;
I have a single cyl. BMW D12 engine in my boat. The standard dash supplied by BMW is equipped only with idiot lights - those being: Oil pressure, Charging and Engine temp.
I'm most interested to know if an Hour meter can be added, and if so, what kind and how to wire it in to the dash system?
Maybe the latter information might be in the product instructions???
I believe there are two types available, those that register as soon as the ignition is "ON" and then the other type that is wired somehow to the engine and is REAL-TIME engine hours, that is only when the engine is running.
I can see the first one would probably be easy to install as it only needs a hot wire from the ignition, but the second one might require a pressure switch of some kind or???
Anyone familiar with this type of addition?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 03:22   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Hi there;
I have a single cyl. BMW D12 engine in my boat. The standard dash supplied by BMW is equipped only with idiot lights - those being: Oil pressure, Charging and Engine temp.
I'm most interested to know if an Hour meter can be added, and if so, what kind and how to wire it in to the dash system?
Maybe the latter information might be in the product instructions???
I believe there are two types available, those that register as soon as the ignition is "ON" and then the other type that is wired somehow to the engine and is REAL-TIME engine hours, that is only when the engine is running.
I can see the first one would probably be easy to install as it only needs a hot wire from the ignition, but the second one might require a pressure switch of some kind or???
Anyone familiar with this type of addition?
Oil pressure switch is sometimes used; either a second switch (normally open) or if using the existing one (most likely a normally closed), then a relay can used to get a normally open function.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 04:48   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Most "Hobbs" meters use an oil pressure switch to supply the ground, that way of course the meter is running only when there is oil pressure.
All kinds of Hobbs meters are available inexpensively, I get mine off of Amazon.com, I even put on on a Honda generator, wired it into it's battery charging terminals, when it's making electricity, the meters running.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 05:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Most "Hobbs" meters use an oil pressure switch to supply the ground, that way of course the meter is running only when there is oil pressure ...
Exactly.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 18:56   #5

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Thanks for all the responses folk, unfortunately the BMW D12 engine has neither an oil pump or even a filter. It relies on the old "splash" system which saves on filters for sure ... so I guess it will have to be an electric meter, that will be activated whenever the ignition switch is in the ON position.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 20:44   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Thanks for all the responses folk, unfortunately the BMW D12 engine has neither an oil pump or even a filter. It relies on the old "splash" system which saves on filters for sure ... so I guess it will have to be an electric meter, that will be activated whenever the ignition switch is in the ON position.
Hmm... something doesn't jell here, in your first post, you described the engine as having an oil pressure idiot light.

Assuming for a moment that is does actually have such a light, this light will illuminate when you initially turn the key on and will extinguish once oil pressure is developed.

If so, I strongly suspect it will have a normally closed oil pressure switch that switches a ground to the idiot light. That is, there is a ground present until oil pressure is developed. In this case, the Hobbs meter circuit as described A64pilot and endorsed by Gordmay will be inappropriate. In this instance you will either have to add a normally open switch to the engine or use a relay to reverse "the sense" of the existing switch so that a relay contact becomes the normally open contact to activate the Hobbs meter.

Quite straightforward, the positive side of the relay coil goes to the key positive and the negative side of the coil goes to the existing oil pressure switch. Thus both the idiot light and relay operate in parallel. Once oil pressure is reached the light extinguishes and relay relaxes. A normally closed contact on the relay then switches a ground to the Hobbs meter. The positive side of the Hobbs meter is feed from the positive of the key switch so that the only time the Hobbs meter is activated is when the key is on and oil pressure is present.

Of course, you initial post may be in error and there really is no oil pressure in the engine; but I got to say, I haven't seen a diesel engine without an oil pump / oil pressure except at antique farm engine display days
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote