Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2011, 13:25   #1
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Gangway Deck Socket

I have built a folding gangway (passerelle) from an aluminum ramp. I am trying to figure out how to mount it on my stern. The commercially built gangways have a pin and socket to attach them. Does anyone know where I can purchase the socket for the pin? Or are there any other ideas for attachment that would allow the ramp to pivet up and down and swivel sideways?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-gangway-aluminium-264027.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	27710   Click image for larger version

Name:	manual-operated-folding-boat-gangway-206738.jpg
Views:	2455
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	27711  

Old 19-01-2012, 18:28   #2

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl
Re: Gangway Deck Socket

Hi

Did you ever get an answer to this question? I have the same question.

Pat
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 07:11   #3

I did get it done. I had a fab shop make the parts for me and it turned out pretty much exactly like the left photo. I had one socket installed on my stern steps and one on the extream bow of one pontoon.

In addition, they fab'ed a brace bar which keeps the form angle of the gangway. It goes under the gangway and by adjusting the bar I can make the gangway length longer or shorter and adjust for the downward slope of the gangway. The guys who did the work where pretty impressed with the end product, as was I.

I will say that the weight of the unit is quite heavy. It can be deployed by one person but is better handled with two. It is very solid though, probably could handle a thousand pound load. If I had to do it over, I would consider purchasing the lighter weight pre-fab'ed units instead of making my own.
Old 20-01-2012, 07:27   #4

Thanks, Palarran

I had a feeling it would come down to having a machine shop make one up for me. It turns out that there are some commercially available (see Exit Engineering - carbon boat gangways, sailing boat steering wheels Exit Engineering - carbon boat gangways, sailing boat steering wheels and http://www.superyachtdoc.com/gangway...way_prices.pdf). However, diameters and depths are European (metric) sizes and not a perfect fit for US fittings. Of course one could buy a gangway and socket from them for $$$.
Old 20-01-2012, 08:05   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I wonder about the feasibility of combining a stern ladder with some kind of rigid plastic treads to make a passerelle? I have a high stern and the stern ladder could easily be five or six feet. Make it extendable and maybe so the treads pivot with the verticals, and you would have a dual purpose gangway/ladder.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 08:09   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

I still need to build one...would love some asbuilt photos.
The only ones available here are heavey ass hydraulic ones.
I'll have to build it.
Tips...ideas...regrets...beer...all welcome!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 08:14   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I wonder about the feasibility of combining a stern ladder with some kind of rigid plastic treads to make a passerelle? I have a high stern and the stern ladder could easily be five or six feet. Make it extendable and maybe so the treads pivot with the verticals, and you would have a dual purpose gangway/ladder.
I've spent untold hours working on that very idea...mine needs to be at least 10 1/2 ft long...bottom line.. to heavy for little ole' me to handle, also...a very real chance to loose some fingers if someone not "checked out" on it zigs instead of zags while deploying it!
Old 20-01-2012, 15:55   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Still, there's no reason it couldn't be a lot like a fibreglass extension ladder...hmmm..they aren't heavy.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 17:21   #9

I thought about the ladder also but mine is 10' long when extended and I don't think you can get a ladder to fold and be strong enough for that distance. I used an aluminum motor cycle ramp. What I could have done differently was used a mid or light weight ramp instead of the heavy duty. Especially now that I have the brace bar. What I did was cut every third bar off the ramp and then screwed and glued starboard treads on to the ramp so it doesn't hurt your feet. So basically you can adjust the ramp into a 45 degree angle and it does make a ramp/ladder.

I paid about $350 for the ramps (2) which works as I have a motorcycle and can use the extra at home. The fab work cost about $400 and the treads around $100. I still need to figure out if I can put a railing on it. And I had a $100 charge for bringing it down in a kiteboard bag to the boat. So, I've got a grand invested so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Purpose-...109516&sr=1-19
Old 20-01-2012, 20:35   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Palarran
Old 21-01-2012, 01:30   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Finally found the pictures I had previously posted of the one I was working on.
This is a 50% scale model.
It folded into 3 pieces and then would fold up against the rail.
When initially deployed its a flat boarding ramp, but as the under support (sleved with acme screw inside) was cranked (could be manual but I used a cordless)the ramp would lower but keep all the treads level, once down it was a damn nice boarding ladder (steps in fact) with a loading platform on the bottom shaped not to damage the dink).
The face of the steps are concave so that you can brace the side of your calf's against the two main side rails and steps and also gave a real sense of security to not boat folks who may join you from the dock side.
Lots of time spent working out linkages to allow this contraption to fold and also was designed to alow it to sit on the dock and raise as required, you controled the distance down with the acme but could grab the end and lift it to its fully flat position...this took some doing as far as tolerances go.
At the end of the day it was just to much of a risk of one of the kids loosing a finger, but I gave it a good try!
Attached Images

Old 21-01-2012, 01:55   #12

Boat: 33ft sloop

Splendid designs that are shown above, but quite costly to produce.

For the budgetteers I have a more cost-effective solution and that is buy a scaffold floor, new or 2nd hand. The light ones are made of aluminium profiles, have already hooks to joint, and can be equipped with a handrail of same material.
Not super-elegant, but it works.

They are available in different standard lengths: 1,50, 2,50 and 3,00 mtrs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vloer-aluminium.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	36277  
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 03:21   #13

MacG

What a great idea! In Palma de Mallorca they have a great store -Leroy Merlin- that, I think, has these.

Thanks

Pat
Old 21-01-2012, 06:03   #14

scaffolding or even a board would have been perfect for me except that I needed something around 10' long and wanted it to fold so it could be stored in a forward v-hold. I'm not crazy with storing large long objects on deck as IMO they ruin the ascetics of the boat.
Old 21-01-2012, 06:19   #15

Boat: 33ft sloop

It is not difficult to split the up in 2 or 3 pieces. It is a bit of work but the floors can taken out and the square profiles are hollow. Find a matching inner square and you are set.
My best friend owns a scaffold-factory so I know that it is very feasible.
The only thing is that aluminium scaffolds in the Med and Latin countries are quite primitive, as they do not have the maintenance culture of the Germans and Dutch.
Floors are standard 75 cm wide but they come also in 50.
If you are a bit handy you can make a complete detachable one.

We do export also a lot to the UK.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gangway