Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2014, 05:31   #31

Re: Galvanized standing rigging: Is it safe? how to know?

Thank you, I did check out the Davey catalog recently and interestingly they carry galvanized chainplates, a lot of what they carry is available in galvanized and gunmetal (bronze), their prices are a bit high though, I hate to sound like a cheapskate but I'm trying to do things myself as much as possible, I hate to be dependent on others, especially when so much can be accomplished by acquiring a set of simple skills.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 05:39   #32

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Galvanized standing rigging: Is it safe? how to know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
Thank you, I did check out the Davey catalog recently and interestingly they carry galvanized chainplates, a lot of what they carry is available in galvanized and gunmetal (bronze), their prices are a bit high though, I hate to sound like a cheapskate but I'm trying to do things myself as much as possible, I hate to be dependent on others, especially when so much can be accomplished by acquiring a set of simple skills.
You, sir, are an anachronism and an outright embarrassment to the modern concept of checkbook sailor!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 07:31   #33

Re: Galvanized Standing Rigging: Is it Safe? How to Know?

Gee, I've been an embarrassment in one form or another for over sixty years, can't change now. At least this is one arena were I don't feel the embarrassment.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 18:56   #34

Boat: O'Day 28

Takes one to know one.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 17:34   #35

Boat: Bruce Roberts Mauritius 46

Just a quick question. I notice a couple of mentions of using brass or stainless steel chainplates with galv wire rigging. Wouldn't this cause galvanic corrosion, similar to what happens when a stainless swivel is used on a galvanized steel anchor and the metal of the anchor begins to rust? I would think the interface of the socket or splice would be at increased risk of this corrosion...

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
AndDavRos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 19:01   #36

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDavRos View Post
Just a quick question. I notice a couple of mentions of using brass or stainless steel chainplates with galv wire rigging. Wouldn't this cause galvanic corrosion, similar to what happens when a stainless swivel is used on a galvanized steel anchor and the metal of the anchor begins to rust? I would think the interface of the socket or splice would be at increased risk of this corrosion...

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Here's a short discussion of metal compatibility...

ISSUU - Davey2012 by Wooden Boat Chandlery

Note Davey is mostly concerned with dissimilar fastenings. as galvanic corrision can only be present in an electrolyte - fastenings are most at risk when the hull material absorbs water and produces an electrolyte which creates electical flow that eats up the dissimilair metal.

So, galvanized wire in contact with the end of a BRONZE, not brass, chainplate, or SS chainplate is a minor issue, compared with using the wrong type of fastener to secure the chainplate to the hull.

BTW, wikipedia has some interesting disscussion and examples of galvanic corrision with dissimilar metals
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging