Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2017, 04:07   #16

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Galvanized standing rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
How about the stretch involved with 7x19 galvo vs 1x19 s/s?

In many rigs this is significant.

Jim
Yeah, I worry about this as well, though on a lot of low stress rigs it is probably fine. I also think 7x19 needs a lot more maintenance due to the smaller zimc plated wires rather than heavy galvanised strands of 7x7 or 1x19.

I had a good run with korean aircraft grade class 1 galv 10mm 7x7 wire. So far it's around 14 years old and still Ok, but has the odd bit of surface rust. The stretch is pretty similar to 1x19 of the same weight. (8mm or so) and it's availible in Australia in a very high grade (2070mpa or so) so is stronger than the equavalent stainless steel. It also has a slightly higher modulas of elasticity than stainless steel.

7x1 would be ideal if you could find it in a higher grade. Mostly its around 1200 mpa or so.

Hopefully the latest stuff I have bought has the same high quality galvanizing as the last batch. I try to buy from places that also sell it for the travelling irrigator systems. That way it needs to have a good quality galvanizing to survive.
Old 13-10-2017, 06:58   #17

Re: Galvanized standing rigging

I've used 7x19 galvanized on winches and had no problem with coating loss on the portion that doesn't run against sheaves frequently, and there it's simply worn of eventually. I also lose no coating when turning a splice.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging