Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2012, 05:28   #166

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Furling Mainsail or Not ?

Jam cleats

Self tailing winches
Old 19-08-2012, 08:27   #167

Silly question from an inexperienced new-comer:
How about a mainsail on a furler outside, just aft, of the mast, with no boom at all?
I've occasionally seen boomless rigs.
Would that be a bad idea because you could never get the sail flat enough to work properly?
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 08:44   #168

Boat: Lagoon 440

Jammers lock your sheet rope into position so you can run another sheet to the same winch, loops is simply throw a few turns (usually 3) onto the winch and tail the sheet.

The original post is 12 months old, not that that makes much difference, welcome and cheers Frank.
Old 19-08-2012, 08:47   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
How about a mainsail on a furler outside, just aft, of the mast, with no boom at all?
Would that be a bad idea because you could never get the sail flat enough to work properly?
No battens = no sail shape, i use a furling boom, works well and is fully battened.
Cheers
Old 19-08-2012, 08:48   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
Also welcome, there are NO silly questions......
Old 19-08-2012, 08:53   #171

That would be like a flying jib, but with the luff behind the mast in the dirty air. Might as well go for a spritsail, depending on the size of boat. Or one of the lug rigs, or lateen.

I think humans have covered pretty much all the sail combinations over history, and the classical working boats used what worked best and was cheapest and easiest. We're getting exotic these days because we have materials they didn't have, and have different requirements.
Old 19-08-2012, 08:55   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Also welcome, there are NO silly questions......
Tell that to my boss.....it seems the sensible Aussie practice of permitting questions is verboten here. I think he expects telepathy and omniscience.
Old 19-08-2012, 08:58   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Tell that to my boss.....it seems the sensible Aussie practice of permitting questions is verboten here. I think he expects telepathy and omniscience.
LMAO you need to get out sailing!!! We just anchored north of TROGIR in a lovely bay. going ashore for dinner soon, the grandkids are just having a shower, we will hit the Babic tonight! Cheers
Old 19-08-2012, 09:07   #174

Lateen/bezaan eventually = Bermudian and little changes to today. Here in Adriatic on any given day you see many out, fantastic class racing of 30 yachts in one fleet Lateen...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2639.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	45119   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2635.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	45120  

Old 19-08-2012, 09:09   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Lateen/bezaan eventually = Bermudian and little changes to today. Here in Adriatic on any given day you see many out, fantastic class racing of 30 yachts in one fleet Lateen...
We were anchored in this bay 2 weeks ago on ZLARIN and the race started!!!! GREAT FUN....
Old 19-08-2012, 09:34   #176

Lagoon, go have some fun for me.

Are these racing lateens anything like those from the Canaries? If so, they might be tacking like classic dipping lugs, passing the tack behind the mast. Is this so? The thing I'm interested in, is how they jibe.

My desperation interim project will be a Caledonia Yawl with dipping lug but I'm interested in the Beer Lugger method of tacking, where the long continuous sheet is used to haul the sail and yard around in front of the mast. In my mental simulation jibing could be done the same way, but I'm keen to learn how it is done in reality.

The attraction of the more traditional rig is simplicity and economy....unstayed mast, simpler materials.
Old 19-08-2012, 09:52   #177

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Furling mainsail or not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acciola View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post

Excuse me if this might sound like a stupid question but what did you mean by 'a couple of jammers and loops'. What are they?
Jammers are essentially lever actuated cleats, with the lever engaged the line is held in place against strain in one direction, in the other direction you can still pull the line in. The are more generally known as rope or line clutches.

Throwing some loops on a self-tailer means to load the line on to the winch so you can pull the line in. A winch allows you to pull the line harder than you could alone. A winch normally requires 2 people to use quickly, 1 can use it more slowly and not at maximum load. A self-tailing winch eliminates the need for the second person.

In order to create enough friction on the line to pull the winch needs several turns around the drum to work. The higher the load to be pulled the more turns required.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Self-tailer.PNG
Views:	139
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	45125  
Attached Images

Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 11:43   #178

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us
LMAO you need to get out sailing!!! We just anchored north of TROGIR in a lovely bay. going ashore for dinner soon, the grandkids are just having a shower, we will hit the Babic tonight! Cheers
Not. To sound to pedantic, but north of Trogir I only remember mountains, no bay, not even a lot of water...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 12:38   #179

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Jammers are essentially lever actuated cleats, with the lever engaged the line is held in place against strain in one direction, in the other direction you can still pull the line in. The are more generally known as rope or line clutches.

Throwing some loops on a self-tailer means to load the line on to the winch so you can pull the line in. A winch allows you to pull the line harder than you could alone. A winch normally requires 2 people to use quickly, 1 can use it more slowly and not at maximum load. A self-tailing winch eliminates the need for the second person.

In order to create enough friction on the line to pull the winch needs several turns around the drum to work. The higher the load to be pulled the more turns required.
Clutches and jammers are not the same. This is a jammer.

Name:	product-1739-ZS0810%20rope%20web.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	45136
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 14:04   #180

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Clutches and jammers are not the same. This is a jammer.
I knew that they weren't the same but since very few jammers can be released under load, most especially larger line jammers that would be used with a halyard, and most or all clutches can I assumed the poster that originally made the comment was misusing the term and tried to steer the person asking about the term to the better alternative without getting pedantic about it.

Even some of the professionals can't keep the terms straight: Rope clutch or rope jammer - quality sailing gear at Garhauer marine equipment, New Zealand by Garhauer Marine Equipment NZ Ltd

Except for the referrence to the the lever the OP might have been referring to a jam cleat.

Rope clutches are easier on the lines than jammers but have a larger footprint and are more expensive generally.
Attached Images

Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, mainsail