Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2010, 05:19   #1

Boat: Ebbtide 36
Furling Gear - Profurl C420 or Harken Cruising Unit 2 ?

Hello

I have a bit of a conundrum, I've made the choice to move from hanked on sails to furling. There has been plenty of discussion previously about this so I don't want this post to go down that road, the decision has been made.

Now I've narrowed it down to either a Profurl C420 or Harkens Cruising Unit 2 and I can't find any reason to chose one over the other so I'm throwing it open to those wiser and with more experience. I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has used/owned/sailed with either unit and your thoughts on them.

The boat is a 36ft heavy steel cutter, I intend cruising the Pacific, just 2 up. I like Profurls wrapstop system, the double luff grove (downwind, fly 2 sails?) and have heard good things about their after sales service. On the other hand Harken have a great reputation, is supposed to be easier to fit (I'm fitting it myself) and the bearings are supposed to be of better quality.

I can get both for roughly the same price, the Profurl is very slightly cheaper. Any thought, advice, eords of wisdom, gratefully received.

Cheers.
ianhef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 05:26   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have both. A Harken unit on my CS36 and a Profurl unit on my Ben 393. I prefer the Harken unit as it does not rely on sealed bearings. I have not had a problem with either unit, the Harken is 22 years old and the Profurl 6 years now. As I said both work fine but I have heard of the bearings going in the Profurl. With the Harken a common problem is halyard wrap if the sail is not hoisted to within a few inches of the top. If the sail is not a full hoist put a pennant on it. No maintenance on either unit except to flush the Harken every so often with a hose.
Old 14-07-2010, 16:39   #3

Boat: Ebbtide 36
Cheers Rick. Sounds like there isn't much between them. This pennant you use, could you describe it? Is it a rope from the top of the furler to the halyard or a solid plate?
ianhef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 16:47   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I have a 135 and have a wire pennant (wire with eyes at each end) at the tack, about 8 inches. You could use a good non stretch line if you wish. I prefer it at the tack as it raises the sail off the deck and I can see under it better. You could put the pennant at the peak of the sail if you wish. The main thing with the Harken is to have less than a couple of inches at the top.
Old 21-07-2010, 07:28   #5

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
I am in the process of buying a boat (search phase) and one of the must haves is a Roller Furling jib (I will be single handing it) Right now I am in the middle of nowhere (Iowa) and can't get to marinas to even look. What I need to know is, how much does the installation of a Roller Furling jib system cost? I haven't been able to find the complete cost anywhere. I mean are we talking $1500 or $5000? If I would have to add $5000 to the cost of the boat it would defiantly impact my decision.
Don1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 00:55   #6

Boat: Ebbtide 36 steel cuttter, 11m
Hi,
I have a Reefrite furler on my Ebbtide 36, it is a great piece of gear. No problems in use, lots of exclusive features that others do not have, and good service from the factory.
Good to contact another Ebbtide owner,
Cheers,
Bill Robinson, JENAIN, Malaysia
Bill Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 01:45   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I've got a ProFurl on my boat. Don't know how old it is but probably getting close to 10 years old and it works great. The furler is easy to install. Had to replace the headstay so essentially did a full installation. Pulled the bolts on the bearing area and it was still completely full of grease. I have reefed in 40 knots.

I've done more than 10,000 miles with hanked on sails. Having the furling gear is such a blessing for single handing.

As far as cost, you've got the cost of the furler. Would probably be best to put on a new 316 wire headstay with Norseman/StaLok terminals which will run around $200. Best to buy a new headsail with foam luff for the furling. You can add a luff tape to a hank on sail but without a foam luff, it won't reef as well.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 04:59   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Just bought a Harken from Defender for $1225, on sale, need to think any further?

Saw all of them at Annapolis 2 weeks ago, they are very similar.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 05:14   #9

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages
I replaced a 15+ year old Profurl with Harken this winter. There are some
major construction differences.

Harken foils are 50% thicker than the Profurl foils. More weight but more
strength also.

Harken screws at the joints are threaded into the inner coupling, Profurl
has threads in the foil itself and uses set screws tightened against the
inner coupling.

Harken uses those magic unsealed bearings, really easy to spin the foils.
I like my new Harken a lot. Quite a bit less expensive than Profurl also.

John
jcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 06:52   #10
MPB

Boat: 1977 32' Islander sloop - Querubim
We have had an ALADO for ten years. It is quite a simple idea, which works. No failure yet.
Got it after a very positive write-up in Practical Sailor magazine.

ALADO - Furler and Roller - main page
MPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 16:35   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 419
They cost more than Harken?

A smaller brand name.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 16:55   #12

Boat: a sailing boat
Both are good makers although I am yet to see trouble with Harken while I had problems with Profurl a couple of times (it was always the same problem - the foil holding screws unscrewed - probably not an issue if you set them right during assembly).

Get a unit that is 'one size too big' for the application if you plan sailing in rough weather a lot.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 02:53   #13
MPB

Boat: 1977 32' Islander sloop - Querubim
Jimbo -
Re the ALADO cost - much less than the big brands. Made in Brasil ! - yeah can you believe those guys do more than go to the beach ?
Have since expanded considerably- good long warranty - never had to use it, though. They have rep in Texas
MPB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, Harken